Zondervan sale isn't much of a sale

Page 3 of 5 (82 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 81 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 272
LogosEmployee
Glenn Airoldi (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 1:21 PM

Hi All,

Here's the explanation of pricing on the Word Biblical Commentary.

Individual volumes are priced at $9.99 each, on sale.

The 62 volume collection is priced at $664.95, on sale.

When you do the math, the collection is priced at $10.73 per volume, which is obviously more than the sum of the parts.  That's why we're offering 10% of the dynamically priced collection back as Logos credit.

Your dynamic price = (the number of volumes you don't own) x ($10.725)

We made a change to the 62 volume collection this morning by removing the First Edition of Volume 40: 2 Corinthians, and replacing it with the Second Edition of Volume 40: 2 Corinthians.

Anyone who owned the First Edition would have seen their price go up if they did not already also own the Second Edition.

Anyone who owned the Second Edition would have seen their price go down.

Anyone who owned neither, would have seen their price remain the same.

This particular collection includes a single Logos library resource for each of the volumes.  Everyone should now see that what's shown in the Individual Titles section "New to you", matches what's shown as new to you (indicated with a blue starburst) in the More Details about this resource section at the bottom of the page.

Yes, we have been informed that pricing on the WBC will be going up in October.  The new price for the collection will be $1199.99.  Individual volumes will likely be priced between $23.99 and $43.99 each.

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 1:26 PM

Thank you for these details.  However, it doesn't explain why prices jumped from $32 to $117 for the 62 vol. set when I owned all but three of the resources.  This morning when the prices was in the $30 range for me, the 2nd ed. of 2 Cor. was in the package. 

I still think FL needs to look at its dynamic pricing on the 62 vol. set; the pricing according to your math would mean I am missing 10 resources and that is simply not the case. I've since purchased the three individual vols. and decided that the 10% credit isn't worth the hassle.

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 1:58 PM

This seems real strange:

Individual Titles

Show:   All   New to you   ResourcesValue if sold separately
Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 18B: Job 38–42 $9.99
Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 40: 2 Corinthians (Second Edition) $9.99
Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 7A: Joshua 1–12 (Second Edition) $9.99
Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 7b: Joshua 13–24 (Second Edition) $9.99
Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 8: Judges $9.99

= $50

Word Biblical Commentary (WBC) (62 vols.)

by 48 authors

Thomas NelsonZondervan 1989–2014

Runs on WindowsMac and mobile. Pay Monthly Pay in Full   Dynamic Sale Price $135.66  81%OFF! Reg.: $699.95

How do they come up with an $85 difference (in FLs favor)?

Posts 272
LogosEmployee
Glenn Airoldi (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 2:02 PM

Thanks Erik,

We found what has caused this and are fixing now.  Appreciate the detail.

Posts 78
Aaron W | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 2:07 PM

5 percent?

I had to do a double take. I thought it might be April 1, not September 1. But nope. The discount does appear to be serious, not just a bad joke. 

Posts 592
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 3:13 PM

Doc B:

You might want to look closer, then, at what your students are paying. Those free copies aren't free.

In my experience, academic publishers with liberal exam copy policies charge much more for equivalent texts.

No doubt, students cringe at textbook prices. However, when you compare Zondervan to Baker (two of the biggest theological suppliers), an Old or New Testament introduction runs about $40. That's relatively cheap compared to other big education publishers.

Posts 6405
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 3:25 PM

Get Jon Courson's essential library for $25 rather than the collection (same content minus devotional) for $85...that must be a nice glitch for some of us :) Thank you!

DAL

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 4:40 PM

DAL:

Get Jon Courson's essential library for $25 rather than the collection (same content minus devotional) for $85...that must be a nice glitch for some of us :) Thank you!

DAL

Exactly.  In a similar vein, during the back to school sale, i could get my two remaining OT volumes of the IVP "Black" Dictionaries for ca. 67 dollars--if I bought the "whole" set, many of which I already owned, but if I bought the two volume set (same exact books) it was 89.99 or something.  Alas, I waited too long and that deal is gone.  but it pays to look around.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 4:49 PM

Erik:

Tim Taylor:

Gerald:

Did I read some where that the WBC was going to double in price after the sale?

I spoke with a Logos sales representative on the phone a couple of weeks ago and he told me that this is true. He said that at the end of Sept., the WBC will double on the regular sale price.

Doubling the price smells like opportunism by Zondervan; I really should have learned my lesson about Zondervan after Pradis.

I really blame Zondervan.  I, too, have Pradis.  I still limp along with that, having invested in MUCH and could not transfer that to Logos--too expensive, let alone that I already "owned" it.  Anyway, while I am disappointed in the hype not matching reality, I still blame Z way more than Logos marketing.  Z should be ashamed of themselves.  (Listen to me, the all-knowing potentate! Big SmileSurpriseStick out tongue)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 5:22 PM

Friedrich:
 Anyway, while I am disappointed in the hype not matching reality, I still blame Z way more than Logos marketing.

I blame Z for being stingy with a measly 5% discount. But I blame Faithlife Marketing for the worst roll-out of a sale in the company's history.  By September 1 9am we had already seen 5 price increases and one decrease. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 5:28 PM

I agree that 5% isn't much, but I spent a lot of time researching before the sale, and based on the discount on the large packages, I already knew the discount would be 5%; therefore I wasn't disappointed. I found that the largest packages weren't that useful to me, -- too much repetition with old and new editions, etc., so I spent a good 4 or 5 hours picking and choosing assorted smaller packages. And 5% of several packages still gave me a nice discount. I'm pleased with what I came up with. I returned the Collector's Edition that I had just purchased and got about $3500 worth of Zondervan/Nelson products that I really wanted. I shall have fun doing some reading over the next several months!

Author of the Chronological Word Truth Life Bible Series

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 5:37 PM

Super.Tramp:
By September 1 9am we had already seen 5 price increases and one decrease. 

Big Smile yup!

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 5:47 PM

Cynthia Tucker:

I agree that 5% isn't much, but I spent a lot of time researching before the sale, and based on the discount on the large packages, I already knew the discount would be 5%; therefore I wasn't disappointed. I found that the largest packages weren't that useful to me, -- too much repetition with old and new editions, etc., so I spent a good 4 or 5 hours picking and choosing assorted smaller packages. And 5% of several packages still gave me a nice discount. I'm pleased with what I came up with. I returned the Collector's Edition that I had just purchased and got about $3500 worth of Zondervan/Nelson products that I really wanted. I shall have fun doing some reading over the next several months!

Wow - CE looked more appealing to me than much of what was in the Z collections. The stuff I wanted I picked up through Libronix boxed sets already any way. BUT I bet that saves you a ton of money and probably lowers your monthly payment! :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 5:51 PM

Super.Tramp:

Friedrich:
 Anyway, while I am disappointed in the hype not matching reality, I still blame Z way more than Logos marketing.

I blame Z for being stingy with a measly 5% discount. But I blame Faithlife Marketing for the worst roll-out of a sale in the company's history.  By September 1 9am we had already seen 5 price increases and one decrease. 

When I decide to buy stuff, it seems prudent to me to buy early, then if the price goes up they don't mind letting you keep the lower price, and if the price goes down they honor that too. PLUS there are usually a couple oopsie moments during big roll outs, and if you're in from the beginning, they make those right too. Lets be honest, on my salary I was never going to buy a 9,000$ package on top of what I already owe. But they treated me right with the WBC mistake - without even having to ask - even though I bought it a month ago. Got 45$ off the purchase price, 65$ coming in credit, and both the old, and new version of one of the commentaries... Gotta like their customer service.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 5:57 PM

Super.Tramp:

Agree.  Logos' marketing in the past few years has stunk.  I wish Bob would speak on this subject.

Posts 128
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 6:34 PM

On the "Essential" libraries:

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:32 PM

abondservant:
Wow - CE looked more appealing to me than much of what was in the Z collections. The stuff I wanted I picked up through Libronix boxed sets already any way. BUT I bet that saves you a ton of money and probably lowers your monthly payment! :)

Lol, not really. I spent about the equivalent of what the CE cost for me. In about 6 months I'll be ready to add it again, but I just couldn't pass up this sale. I actually didn't have a lot of Zondervan, and there were several books I really wanted that I will use right now. I'm pleased as punch! :-)

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:37 PM

Pete De Bonte:

But this is available. 

John MacArthur: Collected Works and Resources (47 vols.)

I was all set to buy the MacArthur Treasury, but I didn't really want all the books in it, and my dynamic price was around $200. So I poked around and found this, which turned out to have all the books I wanted for $67. Faithlife really made me do some research for this sale!

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:38 PM

Cynthia Tucker:
I'm pleased as punch! :-)

I am happy for you. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 7:40 PM

Super.Tramp: