How would you do a search for the Holy Ghost in the OT?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 155
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:05 AM

Hi, 

I'm guessing this is a pretty easy search but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it but I'm interested in studying up on occurrences of the Holy Spirit in the OT; either acting in conjunction with the rest of the Godhead or instances where He would come upon people and annoint/empower them for a particular task. 

Any thoughts? 

Thanks as always to everyone! 

Posts 21918
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:24 AM

Dennis Davis:
I'm interested in studying up on occurrences of the Holy Spirit in the OT

Does this get you started?

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:28 AM

Open Bible Sense Lexicon under tools and type spirit. A dropdown will provide a list. I think you want spirit(God)

When you select it you will get the Hebrew Lemma as well as all the OT verse references. If you click on Search for sense "spirit (God)" it will run a search where you can then save as a passage list. You can also click on the Hebrew Lemma ruah in the BSL and run a Bible Word Study on it. From there you can go to the clause participant section to see if that narrows the use of the term down for your study.

The other options are to run a bible word study on the word spirit and then open the hebrew section, but this is more general and not as specific as using the BSL.

Just one way to approach the search. I am sure others will provide some other suggestions for you.

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:38 AM

That's a great question Dennis. I tried both John and Graham's ways just to see what would happen. I think Graham's way is the easiest, but when I try both methods, John's turns up 10 more results than Graham's. I suspect that it might have something to do with tagging. For example, John's method shows Genesis 6:3, and Deut 34:9, but Graham's doesn't.

I guess the lesson is to try as may ways as possible just to double check the results?

Posts 21918
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:39 AM

John Fidel:
When you select it you will get the Hebrew Lemma as well as all the OT verse references. If you click on Search for sense "spirit (God)" it will run a search

John's search returns 76 results whereas mine returns 43.

Its interesting to look at the differences to understand the nuances in tagging here - whether you agree with them or not

Posts 155
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 10:53 AM

Thanks Guys.  I agree that it is interesting to see how different tagging methods can produce differing results.  I normally only do one type of query for whatever I'm searching but now that both John and Graham have opened up my eyes, it makes me wonder how different other searches would be as well.  So, now I'm off to do some digging on other topics to see what I may have been missing! 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS