Rebuilding Logos.com: Give Us Your Ideas

Page 2 of 5 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 93 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 7:26 PM

Phil Gons:
but since you're the ones that use the website the most

Don't design the front page for us, design it for the person who has never seen or used Logos before, it's your shopfront; give us buttons to easily get to Prepubs and go searching for books but the main page should should be slick, simple and showcase L4.

And please please let it be designed by a graphic designer Smile The current site makes me feel like poking myself in the eye Crying

Posts 33
M.J. Denning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 7:26 PM

It would be really helpful if Logos would consider listing all the books they have (or are working on having) in digital format by publishers as well as by author. I don't know about others out there but there are certain publishers that I trust and turn to first on every subject. When I type in "InterVarsity Press" or "P&R Publishing" in the search bar I would expect to see a nice list of what's available. This does not seem that hard. I want to know every book that Eerdmans or Wipf and Stock has available on this platform. Would anyone else like to be able to search this way?

I would also be really great if the academic discount page would enable you to click on each title listed to learn more. As it is know, you have to copy and paste the name of title in teh search bar and then look for it that way, back space back to the page, scroll down to the next title your interested in, etc. Uggg.

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 7:39 PM

Top 3 for me would be in the product section:

1. Customer review capability (like Amazon) - are very valuable when considering a new resource
  2. Deeper & Broader Product Categories (searchable too) - would help in finding relevant resources for specific needs
  3. Sales Rank for Products/Resources - if others bought it, I might be more likely to do likewise

Posts 18595
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 9:11 PM

Here are my suggestions (and I also agree with many of the other ones voiced above):

1. Be more consistent about including the “this resources is also available in: ...” links at the bottom of the product pages -- there are a bunch of places where this is not done, and a person might be served better by knowing they could get a better deal on that resource by buying it as part of a bundle. Automate this so you don't have to remember it all the time to do it manually.
  2. Let us know if we're about to order an item that we already own or already have in pre-pub as part of a bundle. It's too easy to accidentally buy something twice.
  3. Include links to Tables of Contents of products when those are available anywhere online e.g., on the publisher's website (or include the TOC itself there on your website if you can legally do it).
  4. Make downloadable an option for all products. I've posted a list elsewhere of the products that are CD only that I am waiting to buy until they are available as downloads.
  5. Provide links from resource titles in the comparison chart to their product description pages, and for things which aren't products but features, also give a link to somewhere which would describe what those features are, to help people decide if these are resources or features that they need when they're choosing a base package.
  6. The Logos History page (accessible from Home Page > About > Logos History) is sorely in need of an update. The timeline only goes through 2003.
  7. Provide a link to the wiki from the navigation bar at the top of each page.
  8. Remove the random links in the lower right corner of the home page. Especially the one about UFOs! :-)

Finally, please don’t put us through a buggy beta period with this! Beta is one thing with the Bible study software, but when it affects our credit card balance and Internet security, I'm nervous... Do thorough testing with some volunteers who can use it with fake accounts, and then when it seems stable, gingerly enable it for their real credit card accounts, and test it a bunch more, before rolling it out to the rest of the user base. And no "missing features coming soon" please. That will imply bugs introduced as you add more features. I'm glad you're launching out on a major redesign, but what we've got now works well enough, so there's no need to rush out something incomplete just to get it into our hands. Do it completely and solidly and then release it. Thanks! (I might be willing to be one of the beta testers, though. I'm just saying in needs to be really, really solid. Not like the way Facebook rolls out their website updates, with bugs and interface issues that haven't been fully thought out.)

Posts 5607
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 10:37 PM

Rosie Perera:
Remove the random links in the lower right corner of the home page. Especially the one about UFOs! :-)

Those are their SEO links to improve the Google search results of Logos owned pages.  Wink

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 10:48 PM

Suggestions:

Academic page:

Add links and popup windows for the list of resources in the Academic page. it is a pain to have to copy the name of the resource and search for it on the general website. Additionally, the list of resources should be updated more frequently without the need to contact the academic team to see if the resource is included. The resources should be divided by categories (commentaries, dictionaries, and so on) so that the customer does not have to scroll past hundreds of books.

General and Academic:

Personalize the browsing experience so as to suggest similar and complementary resources, additions to existing collections, but also warn customer when a resources is already part of his or her library.

It is difficult to buy what you do not know exist. as some have suggested resources like commentaries should be searchable in a variety of ways (level of expertise, theological tradition, recent publication, and so on)

Alain

Posts 1065
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:32 PM

I would like to see

• a shorter pre-pub page (however it is organised). At the moment it takes too long to download. I usually start scrolling down it, start reading and suddenly find myself at the the top again because the page has finally arrived!
  • Price on the pre-pub page. I cannot understand why I have to click a further link to get a price.
  • Publisher details in the pre-pub info.
  • A consistent interface. On some of my computers I cannot see the whole page because of that large (and unnescesary?) graphic on the home page, yet on other pages it is fine.

Most of all, I would like a reliable site. Logos is still the only site where there is less than a 50/50 chance that connection will be made. All other sites in the world connect in seconds (if not instantly). More often than not, Logos just does not respond at all. IF the site responds, then it is as fast as other sites. If it does not then my computers just wait (forever). This is on a range of computers across the Southern UK, each with differing ISPs. If every click is a lottery then it soon becomes tiring. If the order process is a lottery ...

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:39 PM

Martin Folley:
Logos is still the only site where there is less than a 50/50 chance that connection will be made. All other sites in the world connect in seconds (if not instantly). More often than not, Logos just does not respond at all. IF the site responds, then it is as fast as other sites. If it does not then my computers just wait (forever).

Interesting... I've never experienced this... (In Australia)

Posts 1873
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 3:20 AM

Wish List, please. Yes

Better Product search facilities, so that  I can specify where the word or phrase occurs. A drop-down box would help here with choices like, Title Words, Keywords, Author, Subject.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 1382
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 3:32 AM

Phil Gons:
I have about ten pages of notes and ideas of things we're considering, but since you're the ones that use the website the most, we want to hear your ideas for how to make Logos.com amazing.

It would also be nice if my prices on the pages can show the academic price. I never understood why it does not.

Posts 37
David Lowther | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 3:42 AM

I am not sure if this falls under the scope of "logos.com" but I would like to see some improvements to searching in the forums. This is one of the few forums I frequent where I cannot search a specific category/section, such a "Logos 3". Private messaging is also a very useful forum tool, configurable so that users can choose not to get PM's or to exclude users that tend to be annoying (not that there are any of those here Smile ).

Posts 1535
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 4:49 AM

I would like to see greater scope given to How To: training videos/sections. Logos is a tremendous tool, but too many people who get involved with it don't know how to do systematic bible study using it. So ti becomes an extremely expensive concordance. Put together some instructional videos on:

Inductive Bible Study

Character Bible Study

Building a topical Bible study

Researching the history and cultural backgrounds of book of the bible

Proper understanding and usage of a Lectionary (this was to make up for my other comment M.J.)

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 5:12 AM

I didn't think about the forums!  That is a key part of the web site that I use a lot, obviously.

I wish Logos would add spell checking.  ieSpell is very spotty in how it works.

Posts 1535
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 6:20 AM

Phil Gons:
By the way, for now we're talking primarily about the main www.logos.com website, not the forums, blog, wiki, or any of our others sites. Those will come later.

David Lowther:
I am not sure if this falls under the scope of "logos.com" but I would like to see some improvements to searching in the forums.

Apparently not.

Posts 16
Bill Armstrong | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 6:23 AM

I would like the system to notify me if I already purchased a product. I don't like the idea of searching through my large library to find out I already have the resource. I have an Amazon Kindle and when I go to the website to purchase an item I already own it displays a date when I purchased the resource.

Posts 37
David Lowther | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 6:29 AM

Thanks, Terry - skimmed too quickly. I guess the forums can wait for the next improvements. Smile

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 6:35 AM
  • I know you're going to be tempted to make it graphical and heavy with flash and all that yuck.... don't.  Make it light.  Design it for information, not pizazz.  If you start with an information focus rather than a pizazz focus you can add pizazz later.  If you start with pizazz first you may never get the information in.
  • One click purchasing, ala amazon.  Though I'm not sure I can handle that budget wise.
  • Integration with L4 as far as purchasing from within L4.
  • User Book reviews.  Even going so far as to have comments available under every item.
  • Don't set the focus on page load to the search box.
  • Highlight community pricing, and pre-pub.  You're relying heavily on them but nobody seems to know they are there.
  • Wishlists!
  • Check my license and let me hide books I already own!  That way I can shop with confidence that I'm not double purchasing.  (Or that no-one buys a gift for me that I already have).

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 67
Michael Thebert | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 7:42 AM

Either make it friendly to small screen use like from an I-Phone or I-Pad and other platforms present and to come or make a separate site that is.

I've been to sites that take much too long to load due to heavy graphics and are not as useful as they could be if they were swifter. 

I bet there is a whole set of things to do the programmers would know for better small device use.  It is going to be more of the future. 

Posts 1781
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 10:53 AM

Jon Rumble:
Don't design the front page for us, design it for the person who has never seen or used Logos before, it's your shopfront; give us buttons to easily get to Prepubs and go searching for books but the main page should should be slick, simple and showcase L4.

I think we can do both. If you're not logged in, we'll treat you as a non-user. If you are logged in, we'll make recommendations based on what we know about you.

Jon Rumble:
And please please let it be designed by a graphic designer Smile The current site makes me feel like poking myself in the eye Crying

We've got a great graphic designer who's been itching to work his magic on Logos.com for some time now. I think you'll find the new site much more visually appealing than the current one.

Posts 102
Roger King | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 11:04 AM

One item that has "bugged" me for a while is the "New Products" page. It would be great to have a few less items (ie. get rid of an item after a few months). Currently there are way to many items to see what might be new. Also it would be nice to be able to sort the new items by date added. Right now, new books are posted in the middle somewhere and impossible to find. The ability to sort by price, title, date, etc. would be great.

As a search "dream", it might be nice to be able to type in the search box the criteria similar to what we use on Logos 4. ie. AUTHOR: Macarthur ANDNOT TYPE:commentary  (or how about PRICE:<25 AND ATUHOR: Piper)?

This would help get more precise results from the search.

Thanks for allowing us to give input into this process!

Page 2 of 5 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS