Rebuilding Logos.com: Give Us Your Ideas

Page 5 of 5 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 93 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1053
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 5:48 PM

I will say that all the helps/product guides, etc. should be the first one to be updated according to the Logos4. I am new to Logos (so, Logos 4 is the first package I purchased.). But when I look at the guides, I was confused sometimes because it refers to a function that Logos 4 don't have. e.g. to set the priority of the search in dictionary (sth like keylink?) I would say that to me this is the most important thing before seeing any new functions. New functions is like a decoration, but the content is the most important. By the way, I suggest that the product guides should be renewed constantly to include the new products. e.g. the NIDNTT is not included in the product guide of the Greek but NIDOTT is included in the product guide of the Hebrew.

Another thing is to add the link to individual resources in the base package comparison, including the site in the Academic Program. By the way, I cannot link to the purchase link of the academic program. I get the link only from the staff in email. So, I would suggest to organize the structure so that links to pages can be more straight forward.

I think the training can be improved too. I just watched all the videos available in the website recently. And I found that something that is very basic is listed lower. So, after I go through something more difficult, actually I know that basic feature before. So, I suggest to sort the training videos and articles in an order. So, it will be great if the training is redecided so that it is like a continuation rather than a scattering around (learning this a bit and that a bit). Of course the training thing is tricky, because the manuals are not free (published by camplogos). I hope that something can be changed, though it is hard to ask you to give it for free, right?

Make sure that a link to the collection is put in all the individual titles. e.g. I found the Grammar from Wallace do not have the link of a Greek collection containing that.

Top 10 lists should be lengthen and expanded. Better to include some statistical data too. I am sorry to say that none of the things from "Add-on Libraries" and "Downloads" is interesting to me (I know it sounds like very non-professional, but I am really not. I am a layman only). I have considered BDAG/HALOT before but find it too technical for me. By the way, what "Add-on Libraries" and "Downloads" mean? I don't thing that it is very clear. When you put "Downloads", why don't you put "DVD-ROM"? I will suggest to organize it accord to commentaries, dictionaries, encyclopedia, history, etc. That is more helpful. By the way, Top 10 list can be misleading because some of the title are included in the base package. e.g. some of the commentaries might also be very popular but are not in the list only because it is in the base package already.

I like the P, S, L in the product guide on multi-volume commentaries. So, I suggest to add these symbols to all the product guides, Top 10 lists, and even all the products. It can be very helpful to roughly know what kind of product it is. e.g. I will never buy a product which has the S or L sign only. So, I think the point is to make a better classification on products to help us, layman, to decide which to buy. And I guess that most if not all of the items on the Top 10 lists now are for S only. So if you decided the lists into S, P and L, it would be helpful for all people. Since for layman like me, when I look at the Top 10 list, it is simply useless to me.

For the Academic program, it is not so easy to use now. I will suggest to put the price in the academic program directly to the product page. Currently, what I need to do is to find out what I am interested in the product page, and open the academic program website, and search for that title. It is so troublesome. I don't know if you are afraid that people might not be honest so that they will claim they are in the academia but they don't. Or you afraid that if it is so easily achievable then all people in the academia will use it and you will make lesser money. But I think if people want to cheat, they always have a method to. I believe that why Logos can survive and publishers are willing to publish books electronically is because we are Christians! If they really do that, well, let them do it. I doubt if they will really know God deeper in that way. And God is Judge. For the 2nd reason, well, all I can say is to hope that you can popularize the academic program so that more people in the academia can be benefited. You know, I am a poor student suffering from a lot of financial difficulties and thank God that I know that there is an academic program from a certain website (NOT Logos!) there is an academic program, before I purchase it. You know, the big discount last month only has 25% but the Academic Program has 30% off. 5% make a huge difference to poor student like me.

One thing that is not quite related. I would suggest you to publish printed copies on the Lexham Titles. It is SO helpful (at least to layman like me, which is the aim of Lexham: to bridge between original language and English speaking layman). e.g. for the HDNT, I would like to have a printed copy even I've have an electronic copy already.

Search on products should be improved too. Easier to find titles also means a higher profit. e.g. I try to search [psalm AND cited], but many pages shown do not have either one of the word. And a guide/help on search is helpful too. Though you might have the boolean operator, but I don't know how Logos assign it. Might be you can cooperate with Google. Google is really good at that (with no doubt).

Support and Training seems to have overlaps.

Thanks.

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:03 AM

Another thought: I'd like to be able to see the user-reported typos for a given resource (that haven't been fixed yet).

P.S. WRT my earlier wish that product search was up to par with the greatly expanded number of products, I was searching a day or two ago to see if Logos sold Charles Wesley's single-volume commentary (spurred on by a recommendation from AW Tozer in his The Warfare of the Spirit).  I finally gave up...too many hits to wade through.

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 10:44 AM

Yes  Great idea!  I've wanted a "wish list" for some time now, but more for me to remember the purchases I would like to make without have to look everything up over and over again.

I also posted this recommendation today in the "General" section (probably should have put it in the "Suggestions" forum...oops!

"How can we get a "Customer Review" section added to the Logos.com Forums?

With so many new titles being published for Logos, it is dizzying trying to locate reader reviews and make prudent decisions on which books we add to our collections.  I have seen numerous inquiries from forum participants requesting the opinions of others to help them decide on whether or not to add a new work to their library.

I would prefer to stay on Logos.com for my reviews.  Not only does a site like Amazon.com have some very limited, or non existent reviews for many titles, we are encouraged to leave Logos.com for another web site...one that is not Christian in nature, thus providing potentially "mixed" reviews, if any.  What do you all think?"

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 2:35 AM

One thing I am note sure we have at present is a web-page that gives a complete listing of every resource available for Logos. New Products suggests that it doesn't ,,, nor do the others. This would be a nice addition ... espcially if it could be organised in various ways, such as cheapest first, newest first, alphabetical, etc.

It would be nice to receive notification when resources are about to be withdrawn ... the opposite of pre-pubs, presumably with a premium being charged !

It would also be nice if Logos facilitated a market-place between Logos users for the exchange/selling of unwanted resources. This would be pure service to your customers, rather than any real benefit to Logos ... but that in itself would be a benefit to Logos in terms of good-will and appreciation.

Posts 372
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 6:31 AM

Stephen Edward Paynter:
It would also be nice if Logos facilitated a market-place between Logos users for the exchange/selling of unwanted resources. This would be pure service to your customers, rather than any real benefit to Logos ... but that in itself would be a benefit to Logos in terms of good-will and appreciation.

It also might give people one more reason to habitually flock to the website, where there are plenty of links to new products, from which Logos would benefit.  I'd probably check it out fairly regularly since each item offered for sale might have a fairly quick turn-around -- I wouldn't want to risk missing out on something useful and economical.

Posts 109
Jarred Edgecombe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 5 2010 7:39 AM

OK, First I must confess that I didn't take time to read every reply, but as a student, I would like the list of books on the academic page to become searchable, here: www.logos.com/academic/discount/program/products/1 

Posts 208
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 3:31 AM

Trey Selman:
Ability to have a wish list that could be a gift list. Way to easily purchase resources as gifts for others.

Yes +1     

Dominick Sela:

...it's hard to do any searching to see what's available for me. It would be great if there was a lot smarter ability to offer suggestions to me based on what I really have... 

...video tutorials, I would like to see them expand beyond just how to use a feature...to scenario-based tutorials.  For example - take someone who is going to do a particular type of Bible study, to learn 'x', and then see how they use the tools of Logos to accomplish their task.

Yes +1   If the logos.com website could perform a lookup on my L4 ranking and prioritisation it could then build suggested options for me to purchase based on my dis/likes. 

John Fugh, Jr.:

I no longer have l3 on my machine, so when I purchase a title that does not have a download option, I need to call customer support with the key and have them add it to my account.  *Please* put a place on logos.com where I can log in and enter the key so that the title will be unlocked on my account for l4.

Yes +1  Adding the Lucado Lifeworks Library took me the better part of a day, as I had to reinstall L3, deal with the various errors, finding support articles to work round those errors etc. etc. For those of us outside the US (international call rates apply) John's suggestion would be outstanding!

Stephen Weasler:

...I would like to have a little check box or banner that let's me know if I already own a resource.

Yes +1   I would like this to be the case any time I look at any unlocked resource on any given page or layout at logos.com   To have an icon that superimposes the resource picture (just like a Windows shortcut has a little arrow over the icon for its .exe file), or to change the colour of the border around the resource picture, have its title in italics, any clues that I own it already will have me move right along to the next gem that I want to actually purchase.

Thanks so much for letting the users have input before the redesign. What a great company to be dealing with....even from New Zealand Big Smile

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 4:05 AM

Aaron Knotts:

Stephen Weasler:

...I would like to have a little check box or banner that let's me know if I already own a resource.

Yes +1   I would like this to be the case any time I look at any unlocked resource on any given page or layout at logos.com   To have an icon that superimposes the resource picture (just like a Windows shortcut has a little arrow over the icon for its .exe file), or to change the colour of the border around the resource picture, have its title in italics, any clues that I own it already will have me move right along to the next gem that I want to actually purchase.

Yes, this should work for all resources just the way the pre-pubs pages already do:

(Great series, by the way. And getting oh so close. Title is hyper-linked in the image above, so go check it out!)

Posts 135
Gene Britton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 4:09 AM

I have not read all the threads in this section and this may have been covered.  It also may be something that I can adjust now and correct but I do want to mention.  When I go to the home page I have my screen set on 125% so that I can better read.  Some of your pages automatically fit the screen but others, including the home page do not and I have to shift over to see what is there.

This may just be a technical issue that is easy to resolve but if not please give it thought in new design.

Thanks Logos you help my ministry and walk with God!

Posts 31
Keith Brich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 19 2010 6:10 PM

Add random factoids and quotes on the homepage similar to the homepage for the LOGOS software.    I enjoy opening my homepage and just checking out the stuff like that. 

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 10:43 AM

For the new Logos website - I'd very much like to see:

1. A "preview" of several pages for every single book that is available for purchase on the Logos website.  There should not be even one book that does not have a "preview".  This way the customer can actually "know" what he's getting before he buys.
  2. An easy way to tell if you already own a resource or not.  If a customer is logged in, on the new Logos website, every book that the customer already owns should be grayed out (or something) to avoid purchasing the same resource a second time.  There should be a very obvious way that a customer can tell (at a glance) whether or not he already owns a resource.  

If I think of more enhancements I will revisit . . .

Posts 655
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 1:04 PM

Stein Dahl:

For the new Logos website - I'd very much like to see:

1. A "preview" of several pages for every single book that is available for purchase on the Logos website.  There should not be even one book that does not have a "preview".  This way the customer can actually "know" what he's getting before he buys.
  2. An easy way to tell if you already own a resource or not.  If a customer is logged in, on the new Logos website, every book that the customer already owns should be grayed out (or something) to avoid purchasing the same resource a second time.  There should be a very obvious way that a customer can tell (at a glance) whether or not he already owns a resource.  

If I think of more enhancements I will revisit . . .

Along with the preview, I would like to see a Table of Contents to see just what is covered in each chapter. Sometimes the preview lets me see if I like the author's style of writing, but tells me nothing of what they are actually covering in their tome. A TOC is needed in every preview. Thanks!

Posts 372
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 2:37 PM

Bill Shewmaker:

Stein Dahl:

1. A "preview" of several pages for every single book that is available for purchase on the Logos website. 
  2. An easy way to tell if you already own a resource or not.

Along with the preview, I would like to see a Table of Contents

I agree with all of the above.  On the preview, I would like to see a preview of some of the introductory pages but also some of the interior pages.  That way you could get a feel both for (1) the author's philosophy and purpose in writing the book and also (2) how it is implemented in the main body of the book.

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 9:51 PM

Ken F Hill:

On the preview, I would like to see a preview of some of the introductory pages but also some of the interior pages.  That way you could get a feel both for (1) the author's philosophy and purpose in writing the book and also (2) how it is implemented in the main body of the book.

Excellent idea. I've wished for this especially on reference works like dictionaries and encyclopedias. If you get only introductory pages on those you might see a preface, but that doesn't tell you anything about how detailed the actual entries in the dictionary are. I'd want to see a sample of the real guts of the book. Often I can find that by looking at the previews available on A----n.com but I'd prefer not to have to leave the Logos site when considering what to purchase from Logos. 

Page 5 of 5 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS