Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 605
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 7:26 PM

It sounds like you are giving advice when you recommend that we should "be judicious with our downloads" and then shy away when pressed.  The point of my concern is that even the five books that I had downloaded were not available when the servers went offline.  Look, I understand network issues and problems can occur even when one mitigates a very secure fault tolerance, but if we're reminded FL and others that the app not cloud dependent for resources downloaded (albeit dependent for such features as syncing, read aloud, and resources that are not downloaded), then I should still be able to merely read my texts.  For me, this has become a bigger issue.

Posts 28584
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 8:14 PM

John Fugh, Jr.:
The point of my concern is that even the five books that I had downloaded were not available when the servers went offline.

...but what does that have to do with being judicious about downloads? Confused

It is VERY unsettling to me that users would lose access to downloaded resources ever! That has nothing to do with my points above and is completely unrelated. 

The servers being down is related... and it is also unsettling that this is happening again (didn't they just "fix" this issue?)

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 28584
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 8:20 PM

JimTowler:
Point 2A, 2B, 3, 4 and 5 are just software bugs that users should expect will be fixed.

JimTowler:
I dont consider that software should require users to "delete the app", or "reinstall windows" or "factory reset your device". Thats just bad code, poor software or techs that cant get to the bottom of the real issue.

Again, I am not arguing about "what should be," or "what would be nice." I am giving advice about the current status of things. I don't care to argue that point one way or the other. You can choose to take my advice or leave it... but my points still remain. It is to the advantage of most users to be judicious in their downloads. 

JimTowler:
I also encourage you to please not use "nazi" in that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soup_Nazi 

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 8:32 PM

Alabama,

I'm sorry I broke my own rule to no longer interact with you. 

Thanks but bye.

Posts 28584
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 8:41 PM

JimTowler:
I'm sorry I broke my own rule to no longer interact with you. 

Why are you so bothered? What have I done to you? I spend a considerable amount of time in the forums trying to help people, and I have only tried to help people in this thread. 

As I have said several times, it isn't my intentions to debate one way or the other about what should be. I was asked why I recommend users be judicious in their use of downloads, and I gave my opinion. 

I am confused about why you would be offended by my saying that I am not trying to be a "download nazi." Are you unfamiliar with Seinfeld? 

Posts 605
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 8:55 PM

alabama24:
...but what does that have to do with being judicious about downloads?

Precisely the same point I am offering to you: What does your advice about "judicious downloading" have to do with the present problem of us not being able to read our downloaded texts?  ...especially when others from limited access and high bandwidth usage fees have been told that they could do just this...read their downloaded texts.

Look, it is almost certain that Logos is slowly moving to a cloud only platform even if it has been touted that this is not in plans for the immediate future.  It seems with this outage and recent ones (of which we were assured that they were fixed), that the weakest link in the chain is a malfunctioning switch.  This makes me feel uneasy.  I certainly love the ability to sync my notes.  I love that that I am able to highlight from multiple devices and have them sync.  But, I understand and believed that these were the only things (along with others mentioned in previous post) that were Cloud dependent.  I believed what FL said: You can at least read your downloaded texts.  By no means am I suggesting that they mislead me.  What I do believe is that they were ignorant and didn't know if exactly what they promised could be promised.

Posts 28584
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 9:02 PM

John Fugh, Jr.:
Precisely the same point I am offering to you: What does your advice about "judicious downloading" have to do with the present problem of us not being able to read our downloaded texts?

It doesn't... but I was responding to Donnie. I agreed with him that the "present problem" is troublesome. 

John Fugh, Jr.:
Look, it is almost certain that Logos is slowly moving to a cloud only platform even if it has been touted that this is not in plans for the immediate future.

I have no reason to believe this, but I agree it would be disconcerting if true. 

John Fugh, Jr.:
What I do believe is that they were ignorant and didn't know if exactly what they promised could be promised.

I agree. This problem is very troubling. 

Posts 28584
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 9:33 PM

Kevin Byford (Faithlife):

For those of you with missing resources, please sync the app (press the Home button on your iOS device and open the app again) - do the correct number of resources now appear in the Library?

No. 

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 9:49 PM

Alabama,

Only because you have directly asked me a question:

Yes its true you spend a lot of time attempting to help people. And if you review my hundreds of posts you will find times I've thanked you and you have directly or indirectly helped me.

However I asked you not to say something, and remember who were writing to me when you used it.

There are a 1000 replies you could have used, or even to say nothing. Instead I heard you say its OK because Sienfield used it.

Lets not talk OK.

Regards,

Jim

Posts 28584
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2015 11:46 PM

I apologize for what you found offensive, which was not my intent. I posted the link to help provide context... The word in that usage is common. It is, however, in my practice to avoid offense when possible. 

I still don't understand your attitude. When a brother offends you, you should go to him. Do you not think it was offensive to me to say that you have broken your own rule not to speak to me? Is that "ok"? Furthermore, your post implies that I offended you at some point in the past (you weren't creating a rule, you had broken an existing one). 

What I really don't get is the animosity that appears when there is a disagreement. Can't people disagree and still be friendly? The funny thing is that for the most part I haven't disagreed... My only concern was to help forum members like yourself to understand that there are drawbacks to downloading large amounts of resources... Tongue Tied

Posts 28584
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 12:10 AM

alabama24:

Kevin Byford (Faithlife):

For those of you with missing resources, please sync the app (press the Home button on your iOS device and open the app again) - do the correct number of resources now appear in the Library?

No. 

I did make a discovery... By performing a simple search (I used "dad" to look for a book), the entire library became visible again. Previously only 4 download resources were shown, even with a soft/hard reset. 

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 2:22 AM

alabama24:

I apologize for what you found offensive, which was not my intent ...

Alabama,

While I am not convinced you are correct to discourage people to download as many resources as they want, I accept your right to recommend that to users. But that’s not what upset me  - the download thing is just me not agreeing with you and thinking your advice is maybe not well supported by facts. It’s clearly not what many users want because so many people push back many times when you recommend it on the forum.

What upset me is your suggestion and use of Seinfield to so easily dismiss my simple request to not write to me using language I find offensive. If you read back I asked very nice and said please. Had you not said anything it would have been OK. Equally I could have never asked, but how would you then know your words are offensive to some people and cultures?

Yes my comment about me breaking my own rule was maybe best left unsaid. You might recall we have clashed in the past and basically we agreed I would leave you alone and not react to the things you say that I struggle with at times. I’ve been good and held my mouth shut for years if you look back over the forum. I should have remained quiet. Please forgive me.

And I accept your word that you did not intend to offend. Thank you. And as I wrote a few posts back, yes, you do offer help to many and I thanked you for that too.

Let’s live in peace, even if we don’t talk much.

Your brother in Christ,

Jim

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 2:47 AM

Getting this topic back, well, on topic... Another reason why I believe it's possible for FL mobile apps to not be so server dependent is because Accordance (and many other apps) has done it nicely. Did you know you can even do advanced Greek and Hebrew morphology searches in Accordance for iOS without being connected to the Internet at all? Meanwhile the FL mobile apps don't even let you make a basic word lookup without connecting to the FL servers. The contrast is striking.

And just for clarity. I don't mean to come across as complaining or overly negative. There are many many features in the mobile apps that I absolutely love (advanced highlighting for example)! I am very thankful for many things. I am simply just wanting to politely and respectfully encourage FL to take the next step and not get stuck in a mindset of complacency as to how their mobile apps should function. Great things are possible, let's not settle for less. That's all I'm saying. :)

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 3:32 AM

Tim Taylor:

I am simply just wanting to politely and respectfully encourage FL to take the next step and not get stuck in a mindset of complacency as to how their mobile apps should function.

Yes - what Tim said!

My phone has 1 GB of RAM, 128 GB of flash, and the CPU is a dual-core 1.4 GHz beastie. So what was impossible a year years ago for mobile, is now not so very hard. I think my current phone is more powerful than the Windows Vista laptop I ran Logos 4 on. The old limits need not apply.

I do accept that some of the most heavy lifting is best done by web calls to the server farm at Faithlife, but new mobile devices are not the wimps of a few years ago!

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 6 2015 1:40 PM

Please see https://community.logos.com/forums/p/115062/761303.aspx#761303 for more information on the server issue.

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS