Most Inexpensive Start to Logos

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 5270
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2015 6:23 PM

Richard Villanueva:
Is there a target price you'd like to have? (Under $100?)

Faithlife has said in the past they are very open to helping create custom packages for a church... but I am not sure how many orders are needed to go ahead with a customized package. Nor do I even remember  the target price they were aiming at (although I think it was either. $75 or $125). I do not know if this ever went anywhere but it does mean that it is a possibility.

-Dan

Posts 322
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2015 6:35 PM

Doc B:

Michael McLane:
My goal is to find the lowest price-point entry options to Logos for the people I serve (Basically free, maybe base packages would come later.).

I know of no way to get into Logos inexpensively, and would never recommend the software to someone who didn't have a lot of extra cash.

While lots of folks will point out things like the free engine and free resources that come available from time to time, these won't make a usable installation for all but the most minimalist applications.

Promoting Logos to a church is iffy, since they don't license to churches, but rather to individuals. That doesn't mean that a church can't pay the bills for a particular individual, but what almost always happens is multiple staffers want to be able to use the software, which requires multiple licenses (and the church ends up paying for double resources). Hard copy books can be shared. Logos licenses can't.

If you took a poll here on the forums (and I have), you'll find the average expenditure on Logos packages up close to ten thousand dollars. Keep that in mind when recommending it to people. Recommending it to hoarders or people with OCD should probably be a crime, IMO.

This is part of the problem though...that is what am I going to do when I can't do much to study God's Word digitally?  All the fancy databases, whizz bang gadgets, magic interfaces, endless public domain resources, best marketing division in the industry doesn't reduce the tremendous price of this miracle of modern computer science.  There are still alternatives on the market out there at a reasonable price (just got 29 books for $40.00 with mostly my choices from a competitor) this is such a steeply priced miracle I don't know how they will continue to only exist as the most expensive product in their category.  I just started reading my paperback copy on Tillich and psychotherapy while my Samsung Tab 4 still isn't running anything from Logos on it...it's just easier to read the book.  How can FL serve the Church if the Church can't afford FL products?

Posts 5
Randy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 1:37 AM

been reading your comments i just bought the baptist gold package they told me this is what i needed to use all tools they have. i am still in my promotional peroid. my wife and i make around 2600 dollars a month together.this program was 1300 i dont mind paying for it.just wondering about something cheaper. i love studing the Word of God but i am not real smart alot of the books i dont understand. i am  a beginner is something i may grow into .just wondering your opinion. thanks randy

Posts 6513
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 2:13 AM

Start with the free Faithlife Study Bible.

https://www.logos.com/product/36338/faithlife-study-bible

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3215
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 3:31 AM

Randy Brown:

been reading your comments i just bought the baptist gold package they told me this is what i needed to use all tools they have. i am still in my promotional peroid. my wife and i make around 2600 dollars a month together.this program was 1300 i dont mind paying for it.just wondering about something cheaper. i love studing the Word of God but i am not real smart alot of the books i dont understand. i am  a beginner is something i may grow into .just wondering your opinion. thanks randy

I would compare it to the L6 Gold and compare the contents- to see if either really meet what you need for study, which will depend on if your a stundent, lay person, or ministry- pastor, elder, etc. 

Remember buy what you need, but use wisdom- sometimes we must wait until the time is right- not when the complusion drives us :)

Posts 5
Randy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 4:59 AM

I have tried the gold then changed to the baptist gold. I am a layperson with a desire to do more and learn more about God's word. I will take your advice about compulsion buying I read up for a month before I bought just wondering if money would be better spent elsewhere

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 8 2015 7:34 AM

Randy Brown:

Greetings, Randy;

I just came across your reply, and would like to reply myself by saying that, I think you have made a great choice in starting with the Gold package. Although you may not use or understand every resource included in it at this time, I'm sure that they will prove to be very valuable at a later time. It's much easier to spend a big chunk of money on the things that you require when you have the money to spend, than to come up with the money for the things you require when the money is tight. In light of that, I would just say, to try and stay away from payment plans if you can, and if you have a payment plan, plan to pay it off quickly. Also, the value in the Logos system is not in the value of the books themselves, it is in the search and tagging (linking) ability it performs with each. I'll end my reply now, as there is a tendency to go on and on at times. Smile

Posts 88
Johann | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 9 2015 2:57 PM

I would suggest getting a few $10 translations, the free resources, and recommend one good dictionary (the free Lexham one is actually ok), and a single volume commentary or study bible (the free Faithlife is decent if they want to save money there, but I would suggest the $40 New Bible Commentary). If they want to add an Atlas or something like that, they are still going to be better off than having the same things in physical books, for the interactiveness of the software. I did this for a long time before getting a package. And if they want to get a package later, they get a discounted offer based on products they already have. I still usually spend more time in some of these basic things than the many volumes coming with Bronze. I don't think I would recommend any product from a pulpit, but for people wanting to test the waters with Logos, this is the way to go, especially for mobile.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS