Could someone please explain the concept of the Engine as it relates to the Logos versions

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 560
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 11 2015 7:47 PM

I guess what I am asking is I am thinking ahead.. I have Logos 6..  Someday when 7 comes out do we get to upgrade our 6 to the 7 engine?

This reply below in another post is what made me ask this:

"Did you download the newest (L6) engine? It is good to keep up to date with the software (which is free)"

Thanks!

Posts 5584
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2015 8:00 PM

Yes, for free, likely after a few months' delay.

Posts 29807
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2015 8:28 PM

Rodney Phillips:
Could someone please explain the concept of the Engine as it relates to the Logos versions

Sure. The software is always free. Users pay for resources (datasets & books). What does this mean? Well, the new engine will have a number of enhancements, optimizations and new features. Some of those will be free for everyone, while others will require a purchase of either a base package or crossgrade to obtain the new functionality. 

Typically when a "big" release comes out (i.e. from "5" to "6") FL makes the new engine (software) available to those who purchase a new base package first. Since FL's economic model has been "free software, paid resources," it makes sense that they would want to encourage base package sales. 

With "Logos Now" and "Logos Cloud," Faithlife has attempted to make their revenue stream more "predictable" and "regular." (people paying monthly rather than once every 2-3 years). 

Does that make sense?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 560
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 12 2015 6:38 AM

Yes makes sense..   

Thank you..

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS