Library Management

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 16
James Filler | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 13 2015 10:03 PM

I don't know how anyone else feels, and maybe I'm missing something, but library management seems less than optimally functional. Two suggestions:

1) When creating a collection, make it possible to select more than one resource at a time to drag into either the "minus these" or "plus these" sections. Having to drag resources one at a time is really ridiculous.

2) When new resources are purchased, have them download into their own collections so they don't get lost in  the myriad of other resources in my library. An example, when I purchased the Ancient Christian Commentary on the Scripture and tried to create a rule for it, it was a nightmare. I spent about an hour trying to figure out what to use that would bring the collection together (the volume titles do not include "Ancient Christian Commentary on the Scriptures"). I finally had to call customer service and was told use "ACCS". How in the world was I supposed to know that? (There are other ways to handle this, e.g. have new resources download into a "new resource" folder either for a set time after purchase or for good or so taht we can distribute them into the library, There are lots of ways to deal with the issue, but downloading itno its own collections makes the most sense to me.)

Just a suggestion, but to be honest, the poor library management has kept me from purchasing several resources, and if I hadn't been told that Logos6 downloaded resources into their own collections, I wouldn't have upgraded. In my opinion, this is a serious flaw in the software and that it hasn't been fixed by 2015 seems ridiculous to me.

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 5:12 AM

I don't know if you have reviewed this page or not, but you may find it helpful

https://wiki.logos.com/Collections

Posts 16
James Filler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 10:56 AM

Hi Fred,

I appreciate that you're trying to help. Truly I do. But I addressed (or attempted to address) the Collections issue in my first post (see the discussion re: my purchase of the Ancient Christian Commentary series). Collections are not helpful. Why not?

Ok, here's another attempt.

Fred, what Collection should I make?

Your answer, as I imagine it: "I can't tell you, because don't know what resources you have."

That's exactly the problem. I have over 2700 resources. Some I have bought. Some came with packages I purchased. I don't know all the resources I have either. I should be able to go to the Library and easily see what I have, but because the Library is so poorly structured, I can't. Here's a minor and basic example:

I want to organize my commentaries into collections by series, because sometimes, I just want to go see what Commentary X says about verse Y. I don't want to have to go through the whole passage guide thing. I just want to pull up the particular volume in the particular commentary series and see what it says. So how do I do this? What commentary series do I have? I don't know, and when I look under the "Commentaries" section of the Library, it doesn't tell me either. All it does is have all the different volumes scattered around in alphabetical order. But alphabetical order isn't helpful. It isn't even organized by Bible Book. So how do I know which commentaries I have? I can go through each of the different volumes one at a time and try to figure out which series it belongs to (not always easy since they don't always include the series in the title-Ancient Christian Commentary series is a perfect example-, but even if they did, this would require painstaking work which I don't have time to do-I'm a grad student, I don't have hours to spend organizing my 2700+ resources).There are 359 resources in my Bible Commentaries section. I don't have any idea even how to begin, precisely because I don't know which series I have.

The Library should be like my bookshelf. All the books in a series should be together. No one I know organizes their bookshelf the way Logos organizes the Library. I should be able to go to my Library and easily see what I have. When I go to Logos' web page, it shows me the products I can purchase and shows me all the resources associated with that product. Why in the world does it separate products and scatter the resources throughout the Library? this is like purchasing a series of books and coming home to find that someone randomly inserted them on my bookshelves, and now I have to go through the bookshelves and try to figure out where all the different volumes are.

Another example, let's say I purchase the Fathers of the Church series by CUA press. This is an important resource for me and one I really want. It has 127 volumes. Say I purchase that. It will download into the Monographs section of my Library along with the other 1274 resources in that section. Each volume of the series has a different title. What rule do I create to bring all those resources BACK together into the unit they were originally in when I purchased them? Maybe I can just create a rule for "Fathers of the Church" but imagine all the other resources that will bring in? 

Maybe someone doesn't see the use in having an entire product organized as a product. In other words, maybe someone doesn't see how this is useful, since having all the works of Origen together and all the works of Justin Martyr together might make more sense. Maybe you're right. But having the Fathers of the Church series organized as a unit makes a TON more sense then just throwing all the different volumes into a section called Monographs.

If you see the resources as a unified product, why don't they download into my Library that way?

If you can't tell, this is a VERY frustrating issue for me. With 2700+ resources, I hope that's not surprising.

I do appreciate your attempt to help though. Sincerely, I do. But the problem is getting the resources into Collections, and simply referring me to a page on Collections isn't helpful. If you have some insight on how to easily see what Commentaries I have, for example, so I can organize them into collections based on series, that would be great.

Jim

Posts 586
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 11:43 AM

James, you can go to Faithlife.org and "join" (free) a group that helps with collection rules. Follow this link and join the group to see how others have itemized their libraries into various collections.

https://faithlife.com/commentary-types/activity

Check under the documents tab and you will find a list of the various types of collections for commentaries, etc.

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 11:51 AM

James Filler:
I don't know all the resources I have either. I should be able to go to the Library and easily see what I have, but because the Library is so poorly structured,

It sounds like you could benefit from utilizing the tagging feature and collections feature. A link for the collections page on the wiki is listed in my first post. Here is a link to the page on tagging.  

https://wiki.logos.com/Tagging

James Filler:
I want to organize my commentaries into collections by series, because sometimes, I just want to go see what Commentary X says about verse Y.

You can easily create commentary collections based on series by entering series:seriesname as the collection rule (e.g. series:"word biblical commentary"). This will create a collection of every resource that is assigned to that series. If you purchase additional volumes later, they will automatically be added to the collection.

You can also sort your library by series, type, or any of the other column headers in the library pane. You can have multiple sort columns by clicking the first header and then holding the shift key while clicking additional headers. For example If you wanted to view all of commentaries organized by series you could click the Type header then Shift-Click the Series header.

You may find this page helpful

https://wiki.logos.com/Library__

James Filler:
The Library should be like my bookshelf. All the books in a series should be together. No one I know organizes their bookshelf the way Logos organizes the Library.

As stated above, you can sort and view your library many different ways.

James Filler:
What rule do I create to bring all those resources BACK together into the unit they were originally in when I purchased them?

This is where you will find tagging helpful

Posts 586
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 11:58 AM

My library contains just over 14,100 resources and I have several hundred collections for commentaries, dictionary/encyclopedia, grammars, Bibles, Ministry, etc. The link that I posted will include many of these collections (and a lot more also). With your library containing 2700 resources, I would encourage you to also begin tagging you resources, i.e., Commentary, John, Exegetical, Expository, etc. I also tag mine with the month/year that I purchased (0915) and I also give it a star rating just as soon as I can after my purchase. Others on the forum have done this also and it makes the library much more useful.

Posts 16
James Filler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 12:26 PM

Thank you Fred, I didn't see that there were other headings that were hidden in the Library pane (my Library headings were only Type, Title, Author, and My Tags). That's it. That's what I needed to know. I added the heading "Series" and that gave me exactly what I was after. 

THANKS!

It would still be most helpful if you could select multiple resources instead of having to drag and drop one at a time, but this solves most of my problems.

EDIT: Man, I can even get sub-groups by shift-clicking in a certain order. Man,this is great. That's exactly what I needed, Fred. Thanks thanks thanks! I'm excited about my software now.

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 1:05 PM

I'm glad to help. There are many Faithlife and User created videos that demonstrate many of the tools and features of Logos. I encourage you to take some time to review them. Some are specific to Logos 6 and others were created for Logos 4 or 5. Most of the information in the older ones is still applicable and are still beneficial.

https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_6_Video_Tutorials

https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_5_Video_Tutorials

https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Video_Tutorials

Posts 16
James Filler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 2:10 PM

Ok, I'm only going to make one more suggestion, and this is a bit nitpicky, but if one of the headings could be "product" so you could organize the resources according to the product title you purchased the resources under, that would be nice.Not absolutely necessary, now that I've found the other headings, but it would be nice. I still have a significant number of resources that have no series, and I've seen some resources that were purchased with other products that do have a series, but this resource has no series. E.g., the resource "Indexes to the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha of the Old Testament" does not have a series heading, but all the other resources purchased with it (the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha texts by RH Charles, do.

At this point, I'm being a bit nitpicky, but it seems like a fairly easy addition which would be helpful.

Posts 561
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 2:45 PM

If you go to the Resource Information within your desired resource, you can add the series yourself to match the others.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 16
James Filler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 3:00 PM

Cool, thanks! I figured I could use a tag for these exceptional cases, but that's a better solution. Thanks again!

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 6:26 PM

James Filler:
library management seems less than optimally functional.

James,

Do you think you would manage better if you had a written (hand copy) manual?

Posts 16
James Filler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 6:38 PM

No, I don't think so. I think this gets me what I needed. I appreciate it though. Thanks.

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 7:19 PM

Fredc:
You can easily create commentary collections based on series by entering series:seriesname as the collection rule (e.g. series:"word biblical commentary"). This will create a collection of every resource that is assigned to that series. If you purchase additional volumes later, they will automatically be added to the collection.

Wherein this is helpful is this information readily known or accessible to newcomers?

Posts 16
James Filler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 7:27 PM

I won't speak for Fred, but the problem for me was that I had no way to find out what series I had. In my Library pane, series was not one of the headings. When he mentioned it, I figured there must be a way to get other heading in the Library pane, so I right clicked on it, and there it was. Once I selected it,everything fell into place. The headings in my Library was the main issue for me.

As for creating collections, I think there is sufficient info around for anyone who looks for it (I tend to be rather lazy, unfortunately). I do think it isn't hard to find. What would really be helpful is a list of the different possible fields one can use to create rules. Fred's link had one, I think, 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 9:14 PM

Logos Wiki has => https://wiki.logos.com/Example_Collections with many collection rule examples plus "If join Faithlife group Logos Collections, can copy Collections by clicking Get Copy to the right of the desired document name followed by synchronizing Logos."

Noticed Faithlife group Logos Collections currently has 317 shared Collections

James Filler:
... if I hadn't been told that Logos6 downloaded resources into their own collections ...

Faithife group Logos Production Collections has 127 shared documents that can be freely copied.

James Filler:
I finally had to call customer service and was told use "ACCS". How in the world was I supposed to know that?

One way is filtering library: e.g. Ancient Christian

Screen shot shows 280 resources have Ancient and Christian in resource information.  Clicking on one of the Ancient Christian Commentary Series shows specific resource information: when (i) is enabled in Library.  ACCS is part of the abbreviated title so a collection rule could be:

abbrev:ACCS

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 16
James Filler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 9:45 PM

Hi Smiling,

I appreciate your input. Thanks.

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 15 2015 3:33 AM

Charles McNeil:

Fredc:

Wherein this is helpful is this information readily known or accessible to newcomers?

Yes. The user created wiki includes a plethora of information, including links to bother written and video instruction. The Logos help manual that comes with the program has also become a comprehensive resource.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS