is Faithlife/Logos a Christian Company?

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 13
Adam S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 14 2015 2:06 PM

Something I have wondered, is Faithlife/Logos a company that considers itself as Christian or claims Christ? I understand that Logos and Faithlife is very much about aiding in equipping believers (2 Tim 2:15) in using the mighty sword: The Bible. Nowhere on Faithlife or Logos website in the "about" section do I see a statement of faith and it concerns me when in the employment section do I see nowhere in videos or description about the need for loving Christ. In many of the employment videos and on the website do I see no reference to spreading the gospel. 

I understand Faithlife is a for-profit organization and cannot restrict to just hiring Christians, but I do not see any indication that the company itself is on mission in this. I do not want to be accusatory, nor can I be (nor should I judge) because there is lack of material that explicitly states this. 

In Christ

Posts 557
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 2:13 PM

I don't believe that there is or can be any such thing as a Christian company. Individuals can be Christians. A church can obviously be Christian. I challenge you to find anything in scripture about a Christian company.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 2:30 PM

superdadsuper:
I understand Faithlife is a for-profit organization and cannot restrict to just hiring Christians,

I have been dealing with Faithlife/Logos since 2008 but have only dealt with Christ-like employees. If they have an atheist  working there they must have him cleaning the parking lot.    Not intended to disparage anyone.

superdadsuper:
Something I have wondered, is Faithlife/Logos a company that considers itself as Christian or claims Christ?

All I can say is Faithlife/Logos is a company owned and staffed by believers 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 3:14 PM

You probably will never see a "Statement Of Faith" statement on the website or even in the employee manual, because Faithlife is a business. With that said, I do believe that it is staffed by brothers and sisters in Christ, and that the business is based and guided by Christian principles. I have never been led to believe otherwise, and it is evident by practices that you will only discover by being familiar with them for some time.

Posts 1836
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 3:19 PM

You might find our publishing philosophy statement helpful as it pertains to this question.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 4:21 PM

From the ECPA website.

The content produced by ECPA’s publishing members must not conflict with the Association’s Statement of Faith.

The Statement of Faith of the Association is as follows:

I. We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
II. We believe there is only one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
III. We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
IV. We believe that for the salvation of the lost and sinful, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
V. We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
VI. We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
VII. We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.

(This Statement of Faith is essentially identical to that of the National Association of Evangelicals.)

Posts 298
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 4:28 PM

Thanks for the link to the publishing philosophy statement, Phil. My take away from Bob's statement is, if you can eat fish, than we assume you can spit out the bonesBig Smile

Posts 263
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 4:28 PM

Thank you, Phil, for sharing this. I had not seen it.

Posts 8969
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 6:43 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

You might find our publishing philosophy statement helpful as it pertains to this question.

Bob's answer, as usual, is excellent. Thanks for reminding us of this.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 906
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 7:30 PM

I don't have Heiser's mobile ed courses, but since he rejects the Chicago Statement on Inerrancy, does this really match #1?

Posts 242
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 7:46 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

I just saw this now. I didn't know such existed. It is quite helpful and very good too. Thanks.

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 8:08 PM

superdadsuper:
is Faithlife/Logos a company that considers itself as Christian or claims Christ? I understand that Logos and Faithlife is very much about aiding in equipping believers (2 Tim 2:15)...Nowhere on Faithlife or Logos website in the "about" section do I see a statement of faith and it concerns me when in the employment section do I see nowhere in videos or description about the need for loving Christ.

I am sure someone from FL would answer your concerns. Notwithstanding, I can say two things for certain: 

1. Faithlife is a business (The bottomline--profit for the non-profit). Logos Software is its product.
  2. "By their fruits ye shall know them." You can know a business by the quality of its product, the honesty of their advertisement, and the service after the sale.

Regardless of the mission statement, note what one does over what one says. Enough said.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 8:59 PM

Faithlife is an American company and as such is a company to make money in business. They should not have to apologize for that or defend it in any way.

superdadsuper:
I understand Faithlife is a for-profit organization and cannot restrict to just hiring Christians, but I do not see any indication that the company itself is on mission in this. I do not want to be accusatory, nor can I be (nor should I judge) because there is lack of material that explicitly states this. 

I do business with companies that I know are not Christian. I have been in churches where I question if anyone inside there was Christian. Bob asked a while back about getting Amazons books into our library. There was a lot of discussion about that and I simply told him yes. It is nobody but me and me alone responsible for what I read or don't read. Faithlife produces resources that are instrumental to studying the bible. Who cares if they are Christian or not? I would still do business with them. They have proven to me there is no other customer service quite like them.

Posts 10101
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 15 2015 2:19 AM

Justin Gatlin:

I don't have Heiser's mobile ed courses, but since he rejects the Chicago Statement on Inerrancy, does this really match #1?

This probably borders on the acceptable topics on this forum (so if we need to discuss this, we should do so on another site, such as a Faithlife group discussion page [maybe Biblical Theology?] or on christiandiscourse), but 

1. I don't see from the link you posted a rejection of Chicago 78 (just a thoughtful reflection on it) 

2. much more relevant: I don't see that the ECPA statement #1 is identical with or requires adherence to Chicago 78 since it reads "We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God." which - probably on purpose - not even uses the vocabulary of 'inerrant'.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 10574
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 15 2015 3:41 AM

Justin Gatlin:

Where in that post does he deny the Chicago Statement on Inerrancy? In fact, he says the opposite:

Heiser:
 Let’s just take it for what it is.  Seems fair — and it’s also consistent with the Chicago Statement, though that statement has easier examples in mind than what we’ve been dealing with here.

Rather than denial, I find a reasoned approach to problem passages in Scripture.

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 15 2015 7:12 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Excellently stated. I have definitely found that my study is deepened when I read content that doesn't necessarily fit in with my views. If all we read is things that we agree with, we won't grow very much.

Author of the Chronological Word Truth Life Bible Series

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 15 2015 11:51 AM

No, I don't believe companies are Christian, either. I believe Logos is a company that is owned by Christians, and generally acts with the upmost integrity.  There are occasionally things that Logos does that I question.  On the other hand, there are often things I do that I question, as well.

Logos does make available a wide variety of Christian resources from multiple Christian theologies to its customers.  This is a very good thing in my opinion.  They provide software which makes the library very useful.  It is far more useful than books in paper, in my opinion.  That is a very, very good thing in my opinion.

I am for them.  I highly recommend their products.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 27768
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 15 2015 12:01 PM

Well said Bulldog friend. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3084
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 15 2015 1:30 PM

Michael Childs:
Logos does make available a wide variety of Christian resources from multiple Christian theologies to its customers.  This is a very good thing in my opinion.  They provide software which makes the library very useful.  It is far more useful than books in paper, in my opinion.  That is a very, very good thing in my opinion.

I agree.

Posts 906
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 15 2015 1:37 PM

Jack Caviness:

Justin Gatlin:

Where in that post does he deny the Chicago Statement on Inerrancy? In fact, he says the opposite:

Heiser:
 Let’s just take it for what it is.  Seems fair — and it’s also consistent with the Chicago Statement, though that statement has easier examples in mind than what we’ve been dealing with here.

Rather than denial, I find a reasoned approach to problem passages in Scripture.

I linked the wrong blog post, sorry; I was shuffling through his long list of posts on inspiration. I think maybe his own final statement makes the point; Heiser believes that the Bible teaches imperfectly, but not inaccurately, on matters of God and salvation, and that accommodation includes scientifically counterfactual statements (like the article he endorses about Paul's bad science underlying the discussion of headcoverings). I am not trying to have a ChristianDiscourse debate, I was just pointing out that the Publishing Standards may not match the normal definition of inerrancy, even in the Faithlife published books.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS