The Encyclopedia of Christianity, Vol. 5

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 11 2010 9:34 AM

I just noticed that vol. 5 of the Encyclopedia of Christianity is available in the Pre-Publication area. I purchased vols. 1-4 as part of the Portfolio Edition of Logos. Will I automatically get vol. 5 when it comes out as part of my Portfolio Edition or do I have to purchase it separately? It is my understanding that volume 5 contains the alphabetical entries Si–Z of the encyclopedia.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 9:54 AM

WilliamEGordonJr:

I just noticed that vol. 5 of the Encyclopedia of Christianity is available in the Pre-Publication area. I purchased vols. 1-4 as part of the Portfolio Edition of Logos. Will I automatically get vol. 5 when it comes out as part of my Portfolio Edition or do I have to purchase it separately? It is my understanding that volume 5 contains the alphabetical entries Si–Z of the encyclopedia.

William, this is not the official answer, but when I had 1-3 and four came out, that needed to be a separate purchase.  My guess is that the same would apply here, too.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 9098
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 10:01 AM

The Portfolio edition specifically mentions volumes 1-4 being included, not volume 5. You will need to pay for volume 5.

This is true with other sets that you received. For example, there are some new volumes in the Pillar commentary series on pre-pub. They were not included in Logos 4 collection and need to be purchased separately.

If you want to wait about 2-3 more years until Logos 5 comes out, those collections will probably include these 'extra' resources that have become available since the Logos 4 collections. Of course there will be an upgrade charge at that point.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 7:57 PM

WilliamEGordonJr:
I just noticed that vol. 5 of the Encyclopedia of Christianity is available in the Pre-Publication area.

Thanks for the heads up on the new pre-pub.  I've been looking forward to the last volume of this set.

WilliamEGordonJr:
Will I automatically get vol. 5 when it comes out as part of my Portfolio Edition or do I have to purchase it separately?

Logos collections are of available volumes at the time of your purchase.  It is the same as purchase of hardcover books.  Purchase of a Logos collection is not like a subscription which includes future volumes, revisions of old volumes, etc.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 4:52 AM

Now I understand. Buying the Portfolio Edition of Logos 4 only got me articles A to Sh in the encyclopedia. To get articles Si to Z I have to pay more.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 5:50 AM

WilliamEGordonJr:

Now I understand. Buying the Portfolio Edition of Logos 4 only got me articles A to Sh in the encyclopedia. To get articles Si to Z I have to pay more.

hmmmmmmm, do I detect a note of, umm, sarcasm there?  Surprise

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 8:24 AM

The Portfolio Edition of Logos 4 is so inexpensive I can’t imagine why you thought there was any sarcasm in my comment.

Posts 9098
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 8:58 AM

Perhaps a bit of a bitter pill to swallow, but you did in fact get everything you saw of the Portfolio listing. Right? I'll bet you weren't even aware that the Encyclopedia of Christianity was not yet complete in Logos format. That explains a bit of your surprise at having to pay more to get it, but Logos told the truth in saying you'd get volumes 1-4. I hope you'll not think you've been cheated.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 10:00 AM

Mark A. Smith:

Perhaps a bit of a bitter pill to swallow, but you did in fact get everything you saw of the Portfolio listing. Right? I'll bet you weren't even aware that the Encyclopedia of Christianity was not yet complete in Logos format. That explains a bit of your surprise at having to pay more to get it, but Logos told the truth in saying you'd get volumes 1-4. I hope you'll not think you've been cheated.

I do not feel cheated. But I do sometimes wonder if Mr. Haney from the TV show Green Acres is now working at Logos.

“Mr. Douglas that’s a great dictionary set I just sold you. But it only contains the words A-Sh. What you really need is this last volume to go with it that contains the words Si-Z. Normally it sales for $100. I just happen to have it on sale today for only $64.95. You do want to have the complete set don’t you Mr. Douglas?” Big Smile

Like Oliver Douglas on that old TV show, I'll probably end up buying from Mr. Haney because he is correct. I do want to have the complete set.

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 10:16 AM

FWIW, I was disappointed when I had the first three volumes and saw that I'd have to purchase vol. 4 when it came out. 

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 11:40 AM

WilliamEGordonJr:

I do not feel cheated. But I do sometimes wonder if Mr. Haney from the TV show Green Acres is now working at Logos.

“Mr. Douglas that’s a great dictionary set I just sold you. But it only contains the words A-Sh. What you really need is this last volume to go with it that contains the words Si-Z. Normally it is sales for $100. I just happen to have it on sale today for only $64.95. You do want to have the complete set don’t you Mr. Douglas?” Big Smile

Like Oliver Douglas on that old TV show, I probably end up buying from Mr. Haney because he is correct. I do want to have the complete set.

LOL, bravo for you, that's great humor and a great illustration of how inadequate sales information can create a bad impression and unnecessary disappointment. 

Logos packages are so massive that it is very time consuming to check each resource webpage. I did it when I purchased and found which resources were incomplete, so I was prepared for later cash outlays.

On balance, I found some resources in the Logos packages that I didn't have much interest in, have turned out to be surprising helpful, so i got more than I bargained for.  Hopefully, as you explore Portfolio you will find the same.

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 12:47 PM

WilliamEGordonJr:

“Mr. Douglas that’s a great dictionary set I just sold you. But it only contains the words A-Sh. What you really need is this last volume to go with it that contains the words Si-Z. Normally it sales for $100. I just happen to have it on sale today for only $64.95. You do want to have the complete set don’t you Mr. Douglas?” Big Smile

Like Oliver Douglas on that old TV show, I'll probably end up buying from Mr. Haney because he is correct. I do want to have the complete set.

Whew, glad I'm not the only one who feels like that! Smile

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS