Whats your go to books for study ?

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 20
jason | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 16 2015 9:31 AM

Im really enjoying the logos software program. I have the Gold package upgraded with additional resources which got me to thinking What books do you go to most often in your sermon prep or just regular study? What would be your top 5 you can't live without? Bible back grounds , Commentaries, Dictionaries,Encyclopedias etc .... Just the top 5 .Thanks for the responses it will help me look for more resources I may not have other wise thought about .Blessings   

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 10:37 AM

Ivp background commentaries.

ubs handbooks.

Wbc 

Isbe. 

Niv application commentaries. 

Posts 240
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 11:35 AM

jason:

Im really enjoying the logos software program. I have the Gold package upgraded with additional resources which got me to thinking What books do you go to most often in your sermon prep or just regular study? What would be your top 5 you can't live without? Bible back grounds , Commentaries, Dictionaries,Encyclopedias etc .... Just the top 5 .Thanks for the responses it will help me look for more resources I may not have other wise thought about .Blessings   

Jason thanks for your post. I hope to benefit from the responses too.

Posts 36
Erich-Ayumi | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 12:08 PM

IVP dictionaries

Holman dictionaries

NAC

UBS handbook

Pillar commentaries

Posts 262
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 12:18 PM

Here are my absolutely essential resources that I use all the time....

COMMENTARIES

Word Biblical Commentary, Expositor's Bible Commentary, Tyndale Commentaries, UBS Bible Handbooks, New American Commentaries 

DICTIONARIES

ISBE,, IVP (Old and New Testaments),  Baker Encyclopedia

OTHER WORKS

Grudem's Systematic Theology & Erickson's Systematic Theology

ESV Study Bible

MacArthur Study Bible

Zondervan NIV Study Bible

Naves Topical Bible

Posts 2756
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 12:21 PM

IVP Bible Background Commentaries

Tyndale Commentaries

ISBE

ABD

WBC

That's the 5, however, there are many more, and the top 5 varies.

Posts 20
jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 3:11 PM

Yes

Posts 26116
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 3:30 PM

Top 5 ... the most precise answer is

NRSV, NABRE, JPS, NJB, Community Bible (not in Logos)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 3:35 PM

I find it interesting no one mentioned Journals. True their real benefit is academia however, does anyone use them for anything else.

Not trying to high jack this post I think it fits.

Posts 1347
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 4:04 PM

Reference materials, all the time. 

1. Anchor Bible Dictionary
  2. IVP Dictionaries (Old Testament especially)
  3. NIDOTTE
  4. Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament 
  5. JPS Torah Commentary

BTW, in your library, there's a heading with "most used." I'm not sure how it tallies, but it's interesting to look at. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1082
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 5:30 PM

As a teacher and writer of theology, after the Bible:

1. Systematic Theology by Louis Berkhof (one of the best for starting a study; super easy to navigate & get a quick answer to "Remind me, what does X believe about Y?")
  2. Dictionary of Bible Themes by Martin H. Manser ("Where was that verse again about X that I can't remember how version Y translates key term Z?")
  3. Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church
  4. Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
  5. Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Thesaurus (I can get by without a lot of books but not these last two.)

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 777
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 7:23 PM

Kent:

I find it interesting no one mentioned Journals. True their real benefit is academia however, does anyone use them for anything else.

Not trying to high jack this post I think it fits.

Interesting point. My use of journals depends on where my research leads, so I couldn't list a top 5 since there are so many of them I've used in research.

Posts 162
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 7:29 PM

If we are speaking of journals, the two I find myself returning to more than any others are:

Cliff

Posts 2822
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 7:38 PM

Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary

BDAG / HALOT

NICOT / NICNT

Word Biblical Commentary

Pillar Commentary

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 20
jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 8:42 PM

This is interesting I thought we would see more NICOT/NICNT used in study. Looks like a few that keep coming up are WBC, ISBE, ABE, IVP Backgrounds OT/NT

Posts 36
Erich-Ayumi | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 9:42 PM

i would really like to have NICOT/NICNT but they are quite beyond my budget.

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 9:48 PM

NTSK, ESV Study Bible, New International Commentary of the Old Testament/New Testament. NAC, WBC, Annotated Bible, BDAG/HALOT and EBC.

I pull up lots of other stuff at the same time but this is my typical first base picks. I should add JPS because I'm frequently preparing for Parashah studies.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2756
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 11:02 PM

jason:

This is interesting I thought we would see more NICOT/NICNT used in study. Looks like a few that keep coming up are WBC, ISBE, ABE, IVP Backgrounds OT/NT

Only because I don't have it, and its not my time to get it. In other words, it is as Erich stated. Smile

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS