Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Garland Robinson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 21 2015 9:49 AM

I've used reftagger for years, but could never get it to work on any browser except Internet Explorer (using WIN XP). It will not work on Windows 7 or 8 computers with any browser on my website. I've tried using the new script (generated today from your web site) but can't get anything to work. It just ignores it.

I do not use style sheets, just raw html files. I just always copy the script to the end of each "htm" file. Someone please help?

Here is an example of one of my files:  http://www.seektheoldpaths.com/stop715.htm

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2015 1:52 PM

It appears that the majority of your site is within an <a> tag, which—in most cases—RefTagger will not touch.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 4
Garland Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 12:57 PM

Thanks for your reply.   The only <A> tags I'm aware of are those pointing to various "links" to other locations within the file itself OR other pages on my site and some on other sites on the web. These links are inside the html text of each individual file. I have never used "style sheets". I got started writing my on html code (years ago) and have never used anything else. RefTagger worked on my web pages for several years, but has stopped working in recent months. I have not changed anything. I just assumed RefTagger changed something on their end that made it stop working. However, it would only work with Windows "Internet Explorer". Google or FireFox would not work.  Could you point me to more information about what you're calling <a> tags?

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 1:48 PM

You have an improperly closed tag at the beginning of your document:

because the closing tag is inside of an unrelated element, most browsers treat it as if it doesn't exist, which results in a parse tree like this:

because the browser doesn't find the closing tag, it treats the entire document as the contents of your <a> at the beginning. This, in turn, causes RefTagger to skip most of your page because it is designed to leave <a> tags alone (so as not to break existing links)

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 4
Garland Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2015 5:24 AM

That did the trick!  Thank you so much.  I did not know there was an </a> out of place for RefTagger.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS