Free Logos 4 Engine & Bible Reading Plan

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 65
seaview | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 13 2010 8:16 AM

Out of my need comes an idea to introduce new people to Logos 4 with a free Bible Reading Plan who don't already have any Library Resources Product.

Since my two Logos 4 Leader's licenses reside on my PC desktop and my wife's MacBook laptop, I am trying to figure if I can add the Logos 4 and the chronological Bible Reading Plan to my portable PC laptop for reading on the run. My Logos budget is expended, so how to do it free is my challenge. Anyone know how to do this?      Confused

To offer Logos 4 and some Bible reading plans free for the Mac and PC would be irresistibly attractive to lure new people to using Logos. What a powerful way to introduce new folks to Logos and lead to added product sales over time.

What solution can be offered for this dual challenge, anyone?

Posts 2365
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 8:51 AM

Bill, your licence agreement allows you to install your whole leaders library on your laptop as well as your main PC, hope that helps. 

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2989
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 10:12 AM

Hi Bill,

As I understand Bob's posts on this topic, we don't have two licenses. We have a license for one user--on as many desktops as we're using it personally. Bob went even further to say that to him a husband / wife who share a license & Bible studies to him still look like one user. But a husband / wife who need Logos for their ministries (both preach, for instance) look like two users to him.

Be aware that in L4 (as Bradley, I think, pointed out in another thread), your / your wife's settings will attempt to sync to each other (single user philosophy), should the two of you be using it in different Bible studies. That means you'd be changing each others' L4 desktop settings for the next load of L4....

Although it's my limited understanding that the license for single user applies across platforms, I'll defer to anyone else who knows authoritatively that this is so.

Since you're a single user & the engine is free, install L4 on your portable pc laptop with a clear conscience. Then follow Dave Hooton's installation instructions (3rd alternative, the safest) from the wiki.

Blessings!

The Grace & Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Pastor Bill, Faith Presbyterian Church

W8.1 64bit, Office 2010
i7, 2.40GHz, 1Gb graphics, 8Gb RAM, 7200rpm 750Gb-32Gb hybrid disk
HTC Incredible 2, Droid 2.3.4

Posts 65
seaview | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 3:30 PM

DominicM:

Bill, your licence agreement allows you to install your whole leaders library on your laptop as well as your main PC, hope that helps. 

Thanks, DominicM.

Ah, but does that also cover my wife's laptop which would be three computers Logos 4 would be installed on?

Posts 65
seaview | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 4:07 PM

Thanks, Bill, for your clarifying thought, namely that a husband-wife's two computers may be looked at as one. Thus adding a third personal, my laptop, with the Logos 4 Leader's version would fit within the spirit and criteria of the Logos individual ("family") license use.

Unless, some higher authority defers differently, I'll see if it works. Initially, I was just interested in getting my chronological daily Bible reading on it for those times it was more accessible and convenient to use the laptop.

I still think that the provision of Logos 4 and Bible reading plans for "newbies" as an introduction to Logos would be a winner in leading new users to Logos.

What do you think?

Posts 65
seaview | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 4:14 PM

Bill, you mentioned, following Dave Hootan's installation instructions from the Wiki. Could you save me the time of searching through all the titles as I don't see any which suggest this topic?

Where did you find how to install a Bible Reading Plan onto another computer with just the engine Logos 4 installed? Perhaps, this is not what you were referring to.

Thanks, Bill

Posts 5337
Forum MVP
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 4:24 PM

The installation link is http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

You don't have to install a Bible reading plan on a new installation. All of your personal files come from "the cloud" with synchronization.

Posts 6612
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 5:59 PM

billfrederick:
To offer Logos 4 and some Bible reading plans free for the Mac and PC would be irresistibly attractive to lure new people to using Logos. What a powerful way to introduce new folks to Logos and lead to added product sales over time.

Let me return to this issue for a minute as it's been lost in the other discussion. Logos offered a 'Starter' set of resources about 4-5 years ago. It was a single CD with Logos 3 on it, a Bible or two, a Bible dictionary, and a few other resources. Very nice. They priced it at $20 but you could get 5 for $50.00. I believe they sold a bunch of them (15-20 to me), but in tracking it discovered very few people ever ordered additional resources. It was attractive but didn't bring in new customers. I'll bet with licensing, production costs, and customer support it lost quite a bit of money for Logos.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2989
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2010 8:16 PM

Kevin Becker:
The installation link is ...

Thanks, Kevin... And Sorry, Bill... had to work on tomorrow's sermon most of today...

The Grace & Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Pastor Bill, Faith Presbyterian Church

W8.1 64bit, Office 2010
i7, 2.40GHz, 1Gb graphics, 8Gb RAM, 7200rpm 750Gb-32Gb hybrid disk
HTC Incredible 2, Droid 2.3.4

Posts 65
seaview | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 1:28 PM

Thanks, Mark, for reminding me of that history. I likewise had several of those to give away.

I think there were several reasons why that marketing did not fly well. One, was that the Logos program was not the user-friendly or attractive in its Home page format as is Logos 4.

The "biggie" though, I think, is that there has to be a motive or strong desire to try anything new. That motive for many Christians now is a regular, easy-to-follow Bible reading program of their choice, within the options available now.

With the Bible reading program there are the associated resources on the adjacent "pages" which attract usage of those resources as readers feel the need to use them.

The bottom line here to me is that the comparison with that historical CD is comparing different fruit, related though it may be.

In marketing "in the trenches", it is trial and error until one finds what attracts the customers from the the lookers. I think this Bible reading feature have the current benefits mentioned above, plus the mobile iPhones/Touch and soon to-be iPad convenience of carry-along.

Further thoughts, readers?

Posts 1531
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 1:48 PM

Have you gentlemen seen this: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/11222/92052.aspx#92052

The betabible.logos.com looks like what the OP was wanting to do, only it is on the web.

Posts 13682
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 1:51 PM

Terry Poperszky:
what the OP was wanting to do,

We Catholics are never going to make it on the forums: OP = Order of Preachers = Dominicans Stick out tongue

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS