Searching for Bible references in a monograph

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 164
Scott Jacobsen | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 25 2015 9:00 AM

Is it possible to find all of an author's Scripture references in a monograph without browsing the whole text and looking for them?

Posts 26845
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2015 9:12 AM

Scott Jacobsen:

Is it possible to find all of an author's Scripture references in a monograph without browsing the whole text and looking for them?

Method 1: Do a basic search on <Gen-Rev> which may take a long time to return results. Be patient.

Method 2: Run a Concordance in reference mode.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 164
Scott Jacobsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2015 9:45 AM

The concordance option worked well. Thanks!

Posts 2834
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2015 10:15 AM

Scott Jacobsen:

As with many tasks in Logos, there are more than one ways to skin a book.  Another option: run a passage list on the whole resource.

This will be frustrating if you try a whole book at once. I'd recommend doing it a chapter at a time.

Simply highlight a chapter, right-click, and choose 'Save as passage list'.

This will give you both the references and the text of the verses in the list.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1399
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2015 5:13 AM

MJ. Smith:

Method 2: Run a Concordance in reference mode.

Is Method 2 only available via Logos Now?

Posts 10584
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2015 5:44 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

Yes

Posts 2834
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2015 8:26 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

My method is available to everyone, as I eschew Logos Now. I don't discriminate against the poor in my forum answers. Wink

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 1399
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2015 9:03 AM

Doc B:

Rick Ausdahl:

My method is available to everyone, as I eschew Logos Now. I don't discriminate against the poor in my forum answers. Wink

Thanks, Jack and Doc!  Not that I think MJ was discriminating.  Wink

Posts 2834
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2015 10:14 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
Not that I think MJ was discriminating.  Wink

She's not...I was giving her a hard time.

But I will admit it bugs me that answers requiring LN are sometimes given on the assumption that the option is standard. We (forum users) usually think to ask when referencing a particular resource in an answer; we ought to do the same for LN-specific solutions.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Posts 26845
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2015 1:54 PM

Doc B:

Rick Ausdahl:
Not that I think MJ was discriminating.  Wink

She's not...I was giving her a hard time.

But I will admit it bugs me that answers requiring LN are sometimes given on the assumption that the option is standard. We (forum users) usually think to ask when referencing a particular resource in an answer; we ought to do the same for LN-specific solutions.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

I agree with you Doc ... to a point. It is important to not assume everyone has a package with the resources to support all the features or that they have Logos Now or that they own particular common resources. In forum answers, asking what they have and/or providing multiple answers to cover most common cases is a good practice that should be followed. Thanks for the reminder.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25045
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2015 2:36 PM

Doc B:

Another option: run a passage list on the whole resource.

This will be frustrating if you try a whole book at once. I'd recommend doing it a chapter at a time.

Simply highlight a chapter, right-click, and choose 'Save as passage list'.

It will be frustrating as every "Save as..." creates a new Passage List.  Also chapters may be very long and/or not contain many references.

The <Gen-Rev> search will show where the references are located, then you can select the text and use the Add >> ...selected text function of your passage list.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 22006
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2015 3:17 PM

Dave Hooton:

The <Gen-Rev> search will show where the references are located, then you can select the text and use the Add >> ...selected text function of your passage list.

And if you did an Inline search it might be easier to select the relevant text

Posts 25045
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2015 3:20 PM

Indeed!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS