Carsons EBC Matthew Commentary

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 615
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 27 2015 11:04 AM

Best Commentaries rates Carson's EBC commentary on Matthew as the best. It appears to be referring to the 1984 original EBC, but I notice that he also is the author of the Revised EBC commentary on Matthew.

Can anyone tell me if the Revised one is different from the original, and if so, what has changed?

I think i would prefer to invest in the Revised EBC over the original, but I'd sure like some opinions before making the plunge. Also, it seems that neither series is available in Logos as individual volumes, the whole series must be purchased. Is that correct?

John

Posts 1690
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2015 11:31 AM

I don't believe it is too different, unlike some of the other books In the revisedEBC.  I like you wish I could build up the set by buying individual volume as you can on Kindle and Olive Tree. It would be great if Faithlife could make available separately, which may mean negotiating with the publisher to be able to do so. The Matthew volume was certainly the best in the old set. The new set is certainly better but quite expensive, especially given that it never seems to be on offer - unlike on some other platforms - and given you can only buy as a complete set.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2015 1:08 PM

Yes, it would be great if Matthew were offered separately. I would need just this one from the new series. For the rest I am satisfied with the older one. 

Bohuslav

Posts 615
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2015 1:13 PM

If you had neither (as I do) would you suggest getting the newer over the older? Is the new matthew superior to the old one?

Posts 1690
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2015 1:48 PM

My understanding is there's very little different in the Matthew commentary. The same is not true necessarily for the rest of the set, where 60% is apparently new contemt - often with new authors.

Posts 2853
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2015 2:06 PM

John Kaess:
Is the new matthew superior to the old one?

From what i have read so far, nothing that much has changed content wise. In my view it should not be considered as a revised edition, a touch here and there hardly noticeable.

I am referring to D.a. Carson's Matthew volume. 

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 615
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2015 2:14 PM

Thanks! I suppose if i have to buy the whole series in order to get Matthew, i'll go with the revised set.

I'll have to add it to my wish list for now.
Posts 578
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2015 2:32 PM

John Kaess:
Can anyone tell me if the Revised one is different from the original, and if so, what has changed?

There was a discussion on the forum on this topic when it first came out: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/56952.aspx 

Posts 615
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 27 2015 4:12 PM

Thanks, that was a helpful link.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS