Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 111
Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 2 2015 1:19 PM

Hello

Please forgive me if this question has been asked before......

If I subscribe to LOGOS Now, would I be getting everything that will be included in LOGOS 7?  Thus, not having to buy into the next version?

Thank you

Paul

Paul

Posts 29270
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 1:31 PM

Paul:
If I subscribe to LOGOS Now, would I be getting everything that will be included in LOGOS 7?

Logos 7 isn't a product yet. We don't know what will be in it. There are no promises or guarantees that ALL of "Logos 7" features will be available as a part of "Logos Now," nor is there a promise that all of the features in "Logos Now" will make it into "Logos 7." 

"Logos Now" is a membership subscription service which provides a number of benefits, ONE of which are future features provided NOW. 

We do not know what benefits there may or may not be for Logos Now subscribers when L7 comes out (whenever that may be). We do know, however, that once you stop subscribing to Logos Now you lose the benefits of the membership. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1892
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 1:32 PM

You'll want to work your way through a previous thread on this, especially Bob Pritchett's posts on page 2, https://community.logos.com/forums/p/114198/759132.aspx#759132

The short answer from Bob is that you wouldn't need to upgrade to a Logos 7 base package, you would just keep on subscribing to Logos Now.

Posts 29270
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 1:44 PM

Integ:
You'll want to work your way through a previous thread on this, especially Bob Pritchett's posts

Thanks for the link Integ. Smile

An interesting tidbit: 

Bob Pritchett:
There is no L7 timeline yet. But it's a good guess that we won't go longer than 2 years (the time between 5 and 6) and also a good guess we won't go less than one year (because that's pretty fast and stuff takes time).

Posts 2112
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 1:48 PM

alabama24:
There are no promises or guarantees that ALL of "Logos 7" features will be available as a part of "Logos Now," nor is there a promise that all of the features in "Logos Now" will make it into "Logos 7." 

Our plan is that Now will have everything and that Logos 7 base packages, upgrades, and crossgrades will lack some of the open-ended content items and any service components we add to Now.

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 1:50 PM

Personally, I think at this point that Logos Now is worth evaluating as a product on it's own; not as a path to L7 or any possible (not promised) discounts or perks. They have added a ton of features over a relatively short time. These features alone are worth the price, esp knowing that more features are coming, generally every 6 weeks or so. I think it is at the point or near enough where it stands on its own.

Posts 29270
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 2:14 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Our plan is that Now will have everything and that Logos 7 base packages, upgrades, and crossgrades will lack some of the open-ended content items and any service components we add to Now.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2015 2:37 PM

Randy W. Sims:
Personally, I think at this point that Logos Now is worth evaluating as a product on it's own; not as a path to L7 or any possible (not promised) discounts or perks. They have added a ton of features over a relatively short time. These features alone are worth the price, esp knowing that more features are coming, generally every 6 weeks or so. I think it is at the point or near enough where it stands on its own.

I agree with that. You're getting a lot of stuff.

Posts 114
Gerald | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 4:22 AM

I would suspect that FaithLife has barely scratched the surface in the potential bible software market. I would also guess that the growth market is going to be in tablet and web based platforms. I use a Kindle HDX 7 with 32 gb of storage. I can probably put all of my 3000+ resources on it if I chose to. The android platform is not anywhere as robust as Logos 6 on my laptop, but it does put at my fingertips many resources and reference titles while I am in Sunday School and Church.

FaithLife's biggest roadblock to gaining share in this market is the free android and iOS apps from Your Bible.

I have subscribed to MS Office on a monthly basis for the last year. I pay $9.99 / month for 5 users / installs. Each install can have it's own user id as well. My wife and 2 teenage children have installed on their laptops as well. The idea of a monthly payment for use of MS Office took me a few months to adjust to, but now I see the economy and value vs spending $275 for each user every 2-3 years.

If FaithLife is going the subscription route, they should consider the MS Office subscription model and allow me to share my Logos library with all of my family. Not my extended family, only my family members who live with me, my dependents. Currently we do not have multiple installs on family computers because of the user issue. I have spent in excess of $7000 over the past 8 years on Logos products. Surely this would give me a license to share content with my wife and children with out being a criminal in the eyes of the law.  (rant over)

Posts 24549
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 4:46 AM

This would probably be best discussed in a separate thread but some comments

Gerald:
The android platform is not anywhere as robust as Logos 6 on my laptop, but it does put at my fingertips many resources and reference titles while I am in Sunday School and Church.

Yes - and Faithlife position the mobile apps as adjuncts to the desktop platform

Gerald:
FaithLife's biggest roadblock to gaining share in this market is the free android and iOS apps from Your Bible.

I don't understand this as the mobile apps from Faithlife are also free. Is it a resource question?

Gerald:
If FaithLife is going the subscription route, they should consider the MS Office subscription model and allow me to share my Logos library with all of my family. Not my extended family, only my family members who live with me, my dependents.

When this has been discussed in the past Bob has posted that this is acceptable - see a post from him at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/341/3265.aspx#3265 (it is from some years ago but I haven't seen any indication that his position has changed)

Posts 114
Gerald | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 6:31 AM

But it doesn't address user created data. I would like to have my family join my FaithLife Group, but I don't think it is possible unless they have distinct user id's.

I think of my resources like books on a shelf. Anyone in my house can read them. Not so in Logos unless they use my machine. Bob's post you referenced really doesn't clarify his position, it only says to me that he won't clarify a position. Maybe I can thank the lawyers for that. Not being extremely critical of his statement, it is what it is, un-clarified.

What I would really like in Logos is resource sharing with distinct user files. Not being technically qualified to know if this is possible, I assume it isn't. I will look further into Logos Cloud packages for my family members.

Posts 29270
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 6:49 AM

Gerald:
I think of my resources like books on a shelf. Anyone in my house can read them. Not so in Logos unless they use my machine.

For clarification: You can install Logos on any and every computer you own, including those of your spouse and school age children. You do have to use the same username and password. 

There are some ways to mitigate the user created data issue. For example: You can have the mobile apps set up so that all notes and highlights go directly into a user specific note file. This would work well for users with moderate note usage. If the users are more prolific, they would likely need their own account for performance reasons. In which case, free accounts with free resources may work. You can install multiple apps on iOS, so users could have access to multiple accounts. For example: a user could have the Bible! app installed for the main account, and Vyrso installed for reading access to the larger account (or vice versa). 

Posts 24549
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 6:51 AM

Gerald:
But it doesn't address user created data

True - some people have tried to address this by having different people in the same group prefixing resources with their names etc. Not perfect but a way of working

Gerald:
I would like to have my family join my FaithLife Group, but I don't think it is possible unless they have distinct user id's.

That is correct

Gerald:
I think of my resources like books on a shelf. Anyone in my house can read them. Not so in Logos unless they use my machine

I could interpret what Bob said in his post is that your wife (assuming you and she are not in separate full-time ministries) could install the software on her computer using your Logos id.

Gerald:
What I would really like in Logos is resource sharing with distinct user files. Not being technically qualified to know if this is possible, I assume it isn't

As above you can use naming techniques to keep them distinct - but everyone using the same Logos id would be able to see them.

Gerald:
I will look further into Logos Cloud packages for my family members.

That's a good option to look at.

Posts 114
Gerald | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 6:59 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2015 7:38 PM

I am curious about something...

I am wondering if Logos 7 will still "wow" us. While we're getting a bunch of new features/datasets now with Logos Now, I wonder if there's any particular features/datasets Logos is going to hold off on and release whenever Logos 7 is released (even if we still get them included in our Logos Now subscription automatically) just for the sake of giving us a surprise "wow" moment. 

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 5248
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 12:40 AM

Nathan Parker:

I am curious about something...

I am wondering if Logos 7 will still "wow" us. While we're getting a bunch of new features/datasets now with Logos Now, I wonder if there's any particular features/datasets Logos is going to hold off on and release whenever Logos 7 is released (even if we still get them included in our Logos Now subscription automatically) just for the sake of giving us a surprise "wow" moment. 

I think, Nathan, that if they did that it would be somewhat disingenuous, the headline selling point of 'Now' is that we get features as soon as they become viable.

I guess folk would become quite (even more) suspicious if even a few features became 'viable' co-incidentally with the launch of the next version.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 3:44 AM

Nathan Parker:
I wonder if there's any particular features/datasets Logos is going to hold off on and release whenever Logos 7 is released (even if we still get them included in our Logos Now subscription automatically) just for the sake of giving us a surprise "wow" moment. 

Believe Phil addressed that situation 10 posts above your own.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 6:49 AM

Mike Binks:

I think, Nathan, that if they did that it would be somewhat disingenuous, the headline selling point of 'Now' is that we get features as soon as they become viable.

I guess folk would become quite (even more) suspicious if even a few features became 'viable' co-incidentally with the launch of the next version.

I don't agree with this at all. There are a number of reasons why this might not be the case.

First, if one or two new features/datasets are being released every six weeks or so, it's inevitable that at least some of them will co-incide with a Logos 7 launch.

Even if the new strategy is evolution not revolution, there will be plenty of times when they'll need to be be relatively major architectural changes. And whilst it's easy to give additions to some users and not others, it would be almost impossible to give changes to some users and not others who are using the same version of the software.

Let's think about the changes from L5 to L6, for example, and imagine Logos Now was around in L5 days. It would have been very easy to restrict (for example) the Ancient Literature section to Logos Now subscribers. But can you imagine trying to code an application where some users were using the 'old' Biblical Places/People/Things, and other people were using Factbook? Or some users the old home page, and some the new one? Or some the updated UI and some the old one?

I'm fully expecting there to be major changes from L6 to L7, and to see things in L7 that we've never seen in Logos Now. You can't do everything by evolution.

Posts 5248
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 10:02 AM

Mark Barnes:
I'm fully expecting there to be major changes from L6 to L7, and to see things in L7 that we've never seen in Logos Now. You can't do everything by evolution.

You are correct in all you say Mark however although I took some of your points as read (e.g. major engine rewrites) however the explicit selling point - indeed the fist line of the advertising is

"Logos Now augments your existing Logos 6 base package, giving you access to our latest features, tools and data."

And yes I understand that the 'latest features, tools and data' are of no use without the underlying software to run them. but (and to address the point that Nathan was pondering) the advertising certainly implies that they will not be holding back features in order to create a wow factor.

Yes Faithlife can, and will need to, make available some features that require major engine and database reconfiguration - but no it is not acceptable to simply hold back on stuff for some perceived marketing effect. That way there are dragons.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2015 10:36 AM

Mike Binks:
Yes Faithlife can, and will need to, make available some features that require major engine and database reconfiguration - but no it is not acceptable to simply hold back on stuff for some perceived marketing effect. That way there are dragons.

I see Logos Now as providing now what will be in the L7 feature crossgrade, but not necessarily providing now what will be the L7 free edition.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS