Is it really the Encyclopedia Britannica as we might of thought?

Page 6 of 14 (262 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
This post has 261 Replies | 21 Followers

Posts 9215
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 4:59 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Here's what we plan to do.

Encyclopaedia Britannica (the company) has kindly agreed to give us access to a large portion (exact amount TBD) of their full EB database, with the corresponding media. We plan to build that out as a completely separate resource and bundle that in a collection along with the full Compton's Encyclopedia, which you already received. So you'll get both. (We're going to rename the current resource Compton's Encyclopedia. The new resource will be named Encyclopedia Britannica.) Consider Compton's a bonus, "we're sorry" gift. We're also going to deliver substantially more content that we originally described. We already delivered the full Compton's with its ~19,000 articles. We're going to deliver on top of that a substantial portion of the full Encyclopedia Britannica database of articles and corresponding media—at no additional charge to you.

I knew Faithlife would make this right!

Thanks for helping us understand what happened and giving clear and excellent options from which to choose!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:00 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
If you're happy to have access to Compton's now and wait for Encyclopedia Britannica to be delivered later this year or early next year, you don't need to do anything. Enjoy access to Compton's now and wait patiently as we build Encyclopedia Britannica.

Just to confirm and be double clear. No more money from me, and I will recieve the Encyclopedia Britannica when it's completed, while still keeping the Compton's version?

my confusion comes from this statement...

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
We'll be putting the product back on Pre-Pub to give everyone the chance of taking advantage of what's now an even better deal.

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:02 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
On behalf of the team, please accept our sincerest apologies. We're really sorry for this mix-up and confusion, and we're eager to make it right.

Thank you Phil. That apology and fix is certainly good enough for me. I particularly appreciate the clear explanation.

I'll only add two things:

1. I'm sure you're already doing this, but you'll want to review your procedures to try and make sure something like this doesn't happen again.
  2. There may be some number of people who pre-ordered at $99 before the prepub price went up to $199, but have since asked for a refund. If the next pre-pub price is going to be more than $99 you may want to add some provision so that they can still get the new bundle for $99.
Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:04 PM

The TBD makes me nervous (based on what just happened); but otherwise I can't complain.

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:05 PM

James Taylor:

Just to confirm and be double clear. No more money from me, and I will recieve the Encyclopedia Britannica when it's completed, while still keeping the Compton's version?

Correct.

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:06 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Encyclopaedia Britannica (the company) has three different encyclopedia databases:

1. Encyclopedia Britannica: contains ~80,000 articles and has over 40,000,000 words; aimed at the scholarly market
  2. Compton's Encyclopedia: contains ~19,000 articles and has over 8,000,000 words; aimed at the family market
  3. Encyclopedia Britannica, Student Edition: contains ~5,000 articles and has ~2,000,000 words; aimed at the student market

(There's also a concise edition of Encyclopedia Britannica, 24,973 short articles and ~2,800,000 words, which they no longer sell.)

Encyclopaedia Britannica (the company) has several different encyclopedia products, which contain one or more of their three databases:

1. Britannica.com: includes a subset of the main Encyclopedia Britannica database. They rotate which articles appear online from time to time.
  2. Britannica Kids: includes the full database of both Compton's and the Student Edition.
  3. Britannica School: has the full database for all three products.
  4. Britannica Academic: has the full Encyclopedia Britannica database.

There was some confusion between our teams regarding what exactly we were getting.

You're definitely right about this being confusing, and I'm certainly not surprised that communication got mixed up with this.

Thanks Phil for making this clear and for making it right!

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1395
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:08 PM

Gabe Martini (Faithlife):
Correct.

Thanks Gabe! Looking forward to Encyclopedia Britannica :-)

Posts 274
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:08 PM

Thank you very much, Faithlife!

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:10 PM

Mark Barnes:
There may be some number of people who pre-ordered at $99 before the prepub price went up to $199, but have since asked for a refund. If the next pre-pub price is going to be more than $99 you may want to add some provision so that they can still get the new bundle for $99.

That would be me.

Though it would still be nice to know how many articles are going to be in the new EB, before I commit to re-ordering.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2080
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:15 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
we figured out what happened and have a good plan in place for how to make it right.

Thank you. I'm once again very much looking forward to this.

Will it be a staged release like the currently shipped portion? Are links going to be added for what's already been shipped and the Timeline and Factbook integration as originally planned, followed by the new material and linking & integration for the new material? Or is it all coming at once?

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:18 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I knew Faithlife would make this right!

Thanks for helping us understand what happened and giving clear and excellent options from which to choose!

I thought they would too...it is a sad thing this mistake happened but I had always known that a refund was the worse case scenario (which is not terrible). I am very happy to hear that things are being corrected. I am content to wait and as a bonus compton may be seen to be an equivalent of strongs dictionary, a base resource to get a supper quick look at something.

-Dan

Posts 530
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:20 PM

Thanks the explanation and the options. I know Faithlife always go beyond and above expection. This is how you do it - " the Logos way".

Posts 6585
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:22 PM

Fasil:

Thanks for the explanation and the options . I know Faithlife always go beyond and above expection. This is how you do it - " the Logos way".

Been a customer for eleven years. They always step up to the plate. Thanks Faithlife.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:27 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Here's what we plan to do.

I am pleased with the plan and will pray for the success of your endeavour..

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1158
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:28 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
There was some confusion between our teams regarding what exactly we were getting. Some thought we were simply getting a portion of the full Encyclopedia Britannica rather than a completely distinct set of content. We're really sorry for this confusion and miscommunication. This should have been named and advertised as Compton's Encyclopedia.

It's good that you're putting this right. I find it remarkable, though, that it only took customers a few hours to figure out that this was Compton's. Your team had at least since February.

Posts 1869
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:30 PM

Mark Barnes:
Thank you Phil. That apology and fix is certainly good enough for me. I particularly appreciate the clear explanation.

Glad to hear it.

Mark Barnes:
I'm sure you're already doing this, but you'll want to review your procedures to try and make sure something like this doesn't happen again.

Absolutely. We've already discussed steps we can take to make sure this doesn't happen again. One of the main causes was that this was an out-of-the-ordinary product. Normally what we create has a very clear print correspondence. That wasn't the case here. And the confusion between Encyclopaedia Britannica the company, Encyclopedia Britannica the resource, and the mid-range encyclopedia they were licensing to us led to the conflation and confusion.

Mark Barnes:
There may be some number of people who pre-ordered at $99 before the prepub price went up to $199, but have since asked for a refund. If the next pre-pub price is going to be more than $99 you may want to add some provision so that they can still get the new bundle for $99.

We will honor the original Pre-Pub price for those who have canceled already.

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:30 PM

Thank you Phil. I appreciate the open communication regarding the problem, and also the alternative options you have offered.

Once again you have proved that Logos/Faithlife is a company with integrity.

Posts 1869
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:35 PM

Todd Phillips:
Though it would still be nice to know how many articles are going to be in the new EB, before I commit to re-ordering.

We're not sure yet, and before setting expectations and not being able to meet them a second time, I wanted to be sure. They're sending us their 80,000 article list, and we're going to select the ones we want to include. Some are off limits. They don't license them to anyone, but the majority are available to us. We need to factor cost into the equation.

What I can confidently say is that we'll give you at least as many articles as we advertised on the product page: 19,000. I imagine it'll be well beyond that, though. I'll confirm when we have the content in hand and have had a chance to assess the costs.

Posts 1869
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:39 PM

Sean:
I find it remarkable, though, that it only took customers a few hours to figure out that this was Compton's. Your team had at least since February.

It is embarrassing, to be sure. One of the problems with being a company of ~450 people is that people tend to work in silos. We have our team that licenses new content from rightsholders, our team that oversees the production of new content products, our team that builds the actually resources (in India), our product managers, our marketing team, our social media and PR team, and many others. Many of these teams work in different buildings, and we typically don't look at each others' work. That works fine 99% of the time for the business-as-usual products. It's these unique projects that require more communication and collaboration. It's a good reminder for us to treat these kinds of things differently from the normal print-to-digital product.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 5:45 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
What I can confidently say is that we'll give you at least as many articles as we advertised on the product page: 19,000. I imagine it'll be well beyond that, though. I'll confirm when we have the content in hand and have had a chance to assess the costs.

Thank you Phil, a very generous resolution to the problem! I have 2 comments/questions:

1. I too am wondering about what subset of the EB this will be - which I know you don't know now...as a crazy example, if it was 22,000 articles of everything they had from A-G, that's not usable - nor is every article under 1,000 words, because I can find an article on Hilkiah but not on Abraham. What will the subset be - only geography, people, and theology/religious articles? Only religious articles? Is the subset defined in some other way? I am assuming there is some logic to the articles that will be selected for Faithlife customers, otherwise it may prove problematic to actually use the resource in our study/use of Logos/Verbum. Does that make sense, do you see it as some logical subset of EB that fits into Logos/Verbum, or some random collection of articles?

2. If it takes for example, 6 weeks to release the EB - and say someone does not like it - will they be able to request a refund on the Compton's/EB $99 even though it's past the 30 day period from when they received Compton's yesterday?

Thanks again Phil for the solution and your explanation of it.

Page 6 of 14 (262 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS