Encyclopedia Britannica Update

Page 12 of 17 (337 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last »
This post has 336 Replies | 25 Followers

Posts 927
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 9:33 AM

James Taylor:

Brian Losabia:
I already have many books in my Logos library which treat with the lives and teachings of Christians from ages past

My thoughts precisely, with Britannica I'm far more concerned with having general articles which would recieve less treatment from the rest of my library.

Good thoughts. Keeps things in perspective.

Ben Amundgaard:

As I said, we were able to license ~550 of the articles above 1,200 words (I've attached an Excel file listing these articles and their respective word counts). This led to some strange gaps. For example, we were able to include articles on WWI, WWI, Ancient Egypt, and Ancient Rome, but didn't have the option to include articles on Martin Luther or C.S. Lewis.

That said, paired with Compton's you will have fairly comprehensive coverage on one level or another.

Then again, I just discovered that I have access to online Britannica through our local small town library, with quite good and lengthy articles on C. S. Lewis and Martin Luther.

"Crippled" is perhaps too strong a word, but the publisher has managed to hinder this project enough to make the Noet version less attractive than it could have been.

This is setting up for a lot of scrutiny once it is released.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 861
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 10:29 AM

Hi all,

Update:

When the users tested this resource, they noted a couple of changes that would make the user experience much better. The main one was having sub-articles under the main articles in the table of contents.

We decided the changes were worth making and had them started over the weekend.

The changes were complete on Monday with plenty of time to get it out by today. However, these changes increased the complexity of compiling the product. As such, it's not going to be ready to ship today. The new ship date is Monday, September 19.

While this is not ideal (believe me, I'd love to get this out the door right now), these changes will result in a better user experience and a reduced file size.

I'm very sorry for this delay. 

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 927
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 10:42 AM

Ben Amundgaard:

Hi all,

Update:

When the users tested this resource, they noted a couple of changes that would make the user experience much better. The main one was having sub-articles under the main articles in the table of contents.

The changes were complete on Monday with plenty of time to get it out by today. However, these changes increased the complexity of compiling the product. As such, it's not going to be ready to ship today. The new ship date is Monday, September 19.

While this is not ideal (believe me, I'd love to get this out the door right now), these changes will result in a better user experience and a reduced file size.

I'm very sorry for this delay. 

Thanks for the update, Ben. Anything that improves the resource is a plus for me, so I don't mind the delay.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 939
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 11:08 AM

Bill Moore:

Thanks for the update, Ben. Anything that improves the resource is a plus for me, so I don't mind the delay.

Ditto!

Posts 196
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 11:10 AM

Steve:

Bill Moore:

Ditto!

What's another five days if it gives us a better product?

Agape,

Steve

Posts 1393
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 12:16 PM

Ben Amundgaard:

Please forgive me for both my potential ignorance (with limited inside knowledge) and skepticism (due to multiple miscommunications on this project), but why wouldn't you ship the project as is, as you have with countless other resources, and update it when you can, as you have with countless other resources? IMO, that would've spared a lot of disappointment on an already fragile project.

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1393
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 12:19 PM

James Taylor:
skepticism (due to multiple miscommunications on this project)

For instance, on the 26th it was "essentially complete" except for "cosmetic touches" and on the 31st it was "just about done" but Faithlife wanted to  push it back to now for your main reasons below...

"Here are the main reasons:

1. It is our practice to give around 2 weeks' notice before we ship a pre-pub. This gives people an opportunity to place a last-minute pre-order; it allows people an opportunity to cancel their pre-order; and it gives people a warning that we are going to charge their credit card.
  2. The people who got a refund when it first shipped and put in a new order at the original pre-pub price will need to be processed as pre-pub orders again.
  3. We can't process only a portion of the pre-pub orders.
  4. We want everyone to have to chance to look the product over and return it if they have concerns or are not happy with it. With all that is going on with the L7 launch, we feel that shipping the product right now would limit the ability of sales and customer service to give each of you the attention you may need."

Yet somehow, now, it's not done again

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 961
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 12:28 PM

James Taylor:

Ben Amundgaard:

Please forgive me for both my potential ignorance (with limited inside knowledge) and skepticism (due to multiple miscommunications on this project), but why wouldn't you ship the project as is, as you have with countless other resources, and update it when you can, as you have with countless other resources? IMO, that would've spared a lot of disappointment on an already fragile project.

It's partially technical and partially related to user experience.

On the technical side of the fence: the changes we're making came after external testing by Faithlife users. We typically don't do external testing but felt it prudent in this case. We felt some of the suggested changes made the product substantially better. One change in particular facilitated a necessary change in the article ID structure. This is a change better made before it is in anyone's hands. Further some of the changes we made were done to decrease file size (note: this isn't a decrease in content coverage), it's a decrease in file size. This is also a change that needs to be made before its delivered to customers.

Beyond that, the files for EBNE are huge. We didn't want to ask people to download two enormous files and then index them only to ask people to do it again a few days later.

Posts 1393
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 12:34 PM

Thank you for the "inside knowledge". Its just becoming harder and harder to remain optimistic about this resource (but I'm still trying). I'm very reluctant to expect now that in "5 days" this is actually going to really ship.

Posts 1938
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 1:02 PM

Stephen Terlizzi:

What's another 30 days if it will give us a better product?

Posts 196
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 1:08 PM

Mark:

Stephen Terlizzi:

I don't think there will be a 30-day delay. I am sure the development organization did not want to incur this five day delay after wrapping up the initial version unless there was a compelling improvement or important deficiency to be fixed. They probably have other projects needing these development resources waiting to start once this one is wrapped up. I am bullish that we will see the resource next week based on my experience with software development organizations.  

Of course, I have no special insights into Faithlife and this project in particular, so this is just my humble opinion.

Agape,

Steve

Posts 4920
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 1:12 PM

Mark:

Stephen Terlizzi:

I'd be fine with another 30 days.  Though late in communicating this with us at least FL are communicating with us before hand instead of actioning a decision without even considering the customer and only telling us after much complaint on the forums.  I'm not convinced though as yet they really understand the need to for open honest communication free from marketing hype - hype that paints a version of the truth that is very far from the reality of the truth.

Posts 64
Eric Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 7:49 PM

I work in an organization that tests/qualifies software.  My optimism is considerably more muted.  Smile

Posts 785
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 8:00 AM

Ben Amundgaard:

The new ship date is Monday, September 19.

I'm not asking a question about when downloads will be ready to start, but I've got some Internet projects going on here that make the precise time the downloads can start relevant. I'm just pondering out loud.

Posts 861
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 8:43 AM

Lew Worthington:

Ben Amundgaard:

The new ship date is Monday, September 19.

I'm not asking a question about when downloads will be ready to start, but I've got some Internet projects going on here that make the precise time the downloads can start relevant. I'm just pondering out loud.

That's a good question. It's definitely worth asking as the files are pretty large (it's also worth noting that the indexing might take some time). I'll see if I can give you more precise information as the time gets closer.

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 1393
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 8:48 AM

Ben Amundgaard:
as the time gets closer.

That time is TODAY though right?

Posts 196
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 8:57 AM

Smile

James Taylor:

Ben Amundgaard:
as the time gets closer.

That time is TODAY though right?

Paraphrasing Our Lord --- James, what have you to do with me? The hour has not yet come. :)

Agape,

Steve

Posts 2290
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 9:09 AM

No one knows the hour but the Father alone... Wink

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 1393
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 9:22 AM

Jan Krohn:
No one knows the hour but the Father alone... Wink

I'd believe that if some special users in the community didn't recieve early access to this last week for testing. Stick out tongue

Posts 6327
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 9:35 AM

If Logos lets me have it for $100 (both brit and comp) I'll support the projec. 🙂👍👌

Page 12 of 17 (337 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS