Encyclopedia Britannica Update

Page 14 of 17 (337 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last »
This post has 336 Replies | 25 Followers

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 4:43 PM

It's a dynamic price. Presumably, if you ordered last year, the price of Compton's is deducted.

Posts 877
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 4:46 PM

Fasil:

Now the Price is $168.51 . Interseted ? go try.

Do you still see that price?

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 570
HansK | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 4:49 PM

I believe the download has started :-)

875,5 MB

Hans

MacOS Sierra / Logos 7 Collector's Edition & All Base Packages / Logos Now

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 4:49 PM

Ben Amundgaard:

Fasil:

OK, now it's greyed out and priced at $399.99.

Posts 877
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 4:51 PM

Jonathan Pitts:

Ben Amundgaard:

Fasil:

OK, now it's greyed out and priced at $399.99.

OK, I suspect it showed that price because we were in the middle of processing orders.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 4:54 PM

Hans K:

I believe the download has started :-)

875,5 MB

Hans

Me too. But it's nearly 1 a.m. here, so I ought to go to bed.

Posts 523
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 5:05 PM

Ben Amundgaard:

Fasil:

Even it's not on Pre-pub . I don't see it there . I've pre-order it for $199.   ....ago.

Posts 877
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 5:09 PM

Fasil:

Ben Amundgaard:

Fasil:

Even it's not on Pre-pub . I don't see it there . I've pre-order it for $199.   ....ago.

It has shipped now, so it shouldn't be on pre-pub any longer. You should get the new resources automatically if you never returned your original pre-order.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 5:10 PM

Thanks for all the hard work on this. I'll look at it properly tomorrow.

Suggestion number 1 for the upgrade: spell "encyclopaedia" correctly [he says from the UK]. ;-)

Or at least consistently. I have a title of "Encyclopedia Britannica: Noet edition", but the Author is "Encyclopædia Britannica", and it is listed on the Noet website as "Encyclopaedia Britannica Collection". Which is it?

Posts 14
John Nagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 5:11 PM

Wink

wow I might have some good news 1GB download

Posts 877
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 5:13 PM

Jonathan Pitts:

Or at least consistently. I have a title of "Encyclopedia Britannica: Noet edition", but the Author is "Encyclopædia Britannica", and it is listed on the Noet website as "Encyclopaedia Britannica Collection". Which is it?

So there is actually a logic behind that ...

The resource itself is Encyclopedia Britannica, the publisher is Encyclopaedia Britannica. So, when it's Encyclopedia Britannica: Noet Edition, we're talking about the Noet edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica resource. However, when we're talking about the collection, we're talking about two resources (Compton's and EBNE) which are both published by Encyclopaedia Britannica the company. Clear as mud?

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 5:19 PM

Ben Amundgaard:

Jonathan Pitts:

So there is actually a logic behind that ...

The resource itself is Encyclopedia Britannica, the publisher is Encyclopaedia Britannica. So, when it's Encyclopedia Britannica: Noet Edition, we're talking about the Noet edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica resource. However, when we're talking about the collection, we're talking about two resources (Compton's and EBNE) which are both published by Encyclopaedia Britannica the company. Clear as mud?

OK, it just grates a little that our great British encyclopaedia has been produced in the US since 1901.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 5:23 PM

The first article makes me feel at home, anyway. It's only just down the road from me tonight.

Posts 14
John Nagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 6:01 PM

Big Smile

WOW Great news yes it is here in NZ .. Looks good so far like the time line .... Well done Logos

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 6:04 PM

Nice to have EB in the Logos ecosystem.  Yet I'm disappointed with the article omissions.  Just now, I looked up "monastery".  The entry advised me to see "abbey" (linked) or "monasticism" (not linked, since the article is omitted).  

Posts 409
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 6:18 PM

I'm fascinated by what articles made it and which ones did not. We already know that John Calvin made it while Martin Luther did not. There's some great stuff here, but interesting choices. No articles on any U.S. state or any country, but you will find an article on each of their flags. The Beach Boys and the Beastie Boys made it while the Beatles and the Rolling Stones did not (to each their own!). Elvis Costello is in, Elvis Presley isn't. Neither is Dylan. Moving on from pop culture, science is well-represented. Plenty of articles on all the sciences. Some important figures in Christian history are in, some not.  Irenaeus, Aquinas, and Calvin are in. Origen, Augustine and Luther are not. There seem to be good articles on all the major Christian denominations, and many smaller ones. My favorite Desert Fathers made it. 

What is here looks to be very good. I just wish that EB was more generous with which articles FL could have for this project. The weakness in history is disappointing. The seemingly random choices as to which Christian figures are included and which are not is also disappointing.

Overall, I still think that this was a good purchase. However, some seemingly arbitrary choices kept this from being an even better purchase. (I'll try to forgive EB for not sending their articles on Origen, Augustine and the Beatles!)

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 6:22 PM

Paul Strickert:

Nice to have EB in the Logos ecosystem.  Yet I'm disappointed with the article omissions.  Just now, I looked up "monastery".  The entry advised me to see "abbey" (linked) or "monasticism" (not linked, since the article is omitted).  

I checked my 2010 EB DVD.  The article on monasticism clocks in at 12,000 words. 

Here's a fascinating little paragraph from said article:

Of the not numerous but clearly monastic or quasi-monastic organizations of recent origin in other parts of Asia, the Vietnamese Cao Dai achieved some impact. Founded in 1926 in opposition to French colonial rule, they maintained a military organization and their own army “regulars” from 1943 to the mid-1950s. Cao Dai propounded an eclectic theology, with a pope and such heterogeneous patron saints as the 19th-century French novelist Victor Hugo, the World War II British prime minister Winston Churchill, and the Buddha. Members were bound by vows that did not include celibacy or poverty but stressed obedience to the hierarchy. Cao Dai survives at its monastery-fortress headquarters at Tray Ninh northwest of Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon).

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 6:24 PM

If I may add one more comment:  I was under the impression, after reading Ben's post about negotiating with EB about content, that the original plan was to give us NONE of the articles exceeding 1200 words.  Can you imagine?  :(

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 8:37 PM

Mark Nolette:
Overall, I still think that this was a good purchase. However, some seemingly arbitrary choices kept this from being an even better purchase.

Yes it's still an incredible deal for those who got this along with Compton's for 100 bucks. I think most of what's been omitted will hopefully be treated somewhere else in my Library, and if not, then I guess I'll just have to google who the Beatles were Stick out tongue

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 196
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2016 8:40 PM

James Taylor:

Mark Nolette:
Overall, I still think that this was a good purchase. However, some seemingly arbitrary choices kept this from being an even better purchase.

Yes it's still an incredible deal for those who got this along with Compton's for 100 bucks. I think most of what's been omitted will hopefully be treated somewhere else in my Library, and if not, then I guess I'll just have to google who the Beatles were Stick out tongue

You mean Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?  ;)

Agape,

Steve

Page 14 of 17 (337 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS