Encyclopedia Britannica Update

Page 17 of 17 (337 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17
This post has 336 Replies | 25 Followers

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2016 6:23 PM

James Taylor:

DAL:
if those articles were included in the initial EBNE and then got taken away, then you guys are REALLY getting short changed!

Where was this idea implied? There were never any articles taken away. Faithlife handpicked articles out of the group of longer articles which were given to them to pick from, they were never allowed to pick them all, but only a selection of them. They said from the beginning that some of them were not allowed to be included for whatever reason from Britannica

I stand corrected.  I either read the request by WR82 too fast or he/she went back and corrected it.  Here it is - notice the bold underlined word.  I read it too fast and saw included or he edited and corrected it to say excluded.  If it was included when I read the post that's why I wrote you guys got short changed because the post would have read "were included in the initial EBNE..." but I guess it wasn't like that.  Oh well...

"I'm requesting the articles above be added as part of an update because they're over 1200 words, were excluded in the initial EBNE edition, and I'd like these entries to be added..." <~~~ Quote from WR82's post.

Posts 58
WR82 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2016 8:28 PM

Steve Maling:

Amid the torrent of posts regarding the absence of an article on 'Islam" I've missed references to the series of included articles beginning with "Islamic . . ."

I haven't taken time  to assess the relative scope of these articles, but it appears that collectively they add up to quite a bit of coverage.

I wonder if a broader search for articles related to Buddhism would disclose similar coverage. And, of course, the same kind of phrasing might turn up other evidence that our hunt for topics might be more successful if we tried to match the way we ask our questions to the way EBNE is organized. (Please don't  complain that EBNE is to be faulted for the fact its organization and absence of expected cross references fail to match all expectations.)

Hey all,

I took a quick glance at the list of articles over 1200 words, looked up many of the articles, and I want to write here that I am really happy with the articles that made it in. By taking some time to look at these, I learned that Jainism is included in the article on "Indian Philosophy" Nice.

It is helpful to have a straightforward presentation of complex topics.

While I still have a few questions about the extent and timing of future updates of this resource (more content or better features? Could we have the articles I mentioned in my previous post in a future update?), I also have a lot of appreciation for Ben and his team for selecting some important topics in the longer entries they were able to get. Thanks!

-WR82

Posts 996
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 12:09 PM

WR82:

Kyle G. Anderson:

We were able to publish EBNE this afternoon. It should be available shortly.

I want to point out that I am planning on an update of EBNE in 4 to 6 weeks. In final rundowns of the product I found a few minor areas of improvements that I would like to see happen. Please let me know if you notice or think of ways that the book will be more useful to you and your research. I would like to get those improvements incorporated in the next, planned, update.

Thanks for your patience in all this.

Kyle,

Thank you for your suggestion request for updating this resource. I am wondering about a few entries specifically within the research area of world religions. My suggestions are for the Britannica Encyclopedia, and not for the Comptons Encyclopedia:

"Islamic arts" made the list. "Islam" did not. Could you add the article on "Islam"?
Could you add the article on "Qur'an"?
Could you add the article for "African religions"?
Could you add Buddha, Muhammad, Akbar, and Zoroaster? Major figures from other religions would be helpful. Confucius, Joseph Smith III, Ghandi, and Guru Nank already made the list. Could you add the entries mentioned above?
Could you add articles for two major world religions, "Bahāʾī Faith" and "Sikhism"? Two articles on the list of articles over 1200 words shared this week seem like they may have been added by way of conflation(?) Bahia and Sikkim. Both of these are rather obscure states in countries abroad. They are similarly-spelled to the previously mentioned world religions.

When we produced this title I structured the resource to faciliate easier updates should we ever receive additional content from the publisher.

My phrase "from the publisher" is the key phrase. Any additional content would be dependent on them providing it to us. Right now that doesn't look like its a possibility but things may change in the future.

If so, we will keep your suggestions in mind.

WR82:

Add additional hyperlinks to instances of article titles found in other articles. These are hyperlinked infrequently, and this would add a lot of benefit to users.

Internal links from one article to another were provided to us by the publisher.

How and when these links occur is actually more extensive than a typical Logos edition. (e.g. we limit internal linking to overt references such as "See article on XYZ" whereas in EBNE there are links on undifferentiated text).

WR82:

Could you add more links to the timeline over time

I'm guessing you mean linking a date in EBNE to its corresponding event in the timeline.

This is something I would like to do but am working out solutions do so in a scalable manner. Right now our only option would be to evaluate each and every date reference. Since there are hundreds of thousands of links, evaluating each and everyone would not work.

WR82:

In the iPad app, clicking an entry does not bring a user to the actual word, but to a neighboring entry. Could this be updated?
In the iPad app, it is not possible to click a media file within an article in the encyclopedia and to hear or view the media resource. Could this be updated?

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean in the first question. Where are you clicking on the entry? (I'm thinking this might be a mobile as opposed to a resource issue but I'll need a bit more info to verify.)

It's unlikely that we'll embed the videos. This is mostly due to the enormous size of the resource. Embedding videos would make it unwieldy.

WR82:

Finally, I have a few questions:

What are your plans to update this resource? What is the time line of future plans? (Are planned updates only for internal tagging or convenient features, but not to add content?) I am interested to learn if more articles over 1200 words will be added to the Encyclopedia Britannica Noet edition
Is there a plan in place with the publisher to add the Britannica Encyclopedia of World Religions In the future? (This is a separate resource)
Could you let me know which of these suggestions/questions will happen and which will not? With an update scheduled for 4-6 weeks in the future, I am hopeful to learn what will be updated.
Thank you for considering these ideas. Thank you for your efforts to improve this resource. It is great to have a resource with a broader focus that covers the 20th and 21st centuries.

-WR82

Thanks for the suggestions/questions. I really appreciate hearing them.

At this point there are no plans for additional content. I'm not saying it won't ever happen but there is nothing in the works.

Right now my targeted updates focus on Table of Content Entries and Headwords. I'd like to better differentiate similar entries and provide more headword options per article. I think this will improve connection points between resources.

Posts 196
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 12:16 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:
My phrase "from the publisher" is the key phrase. Any additional content would be dependent on them providing it to us. Right now that doesn't look like its a possibility but things may change in the future.

Does this mean that Encyclopedia Britannica refuses to provide anymore content period or does this mean that Encyclopedia Britannica refuses to provide anymore content at the licensing price that Fatihlife is willing to pay?

Agape,

Steve

Posts 58
WR82 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 1:45 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

WR82:

Kyle G. Anderson:

We were able to publish EBNE this afternoon. It should be available shortly.

I want to point out that I am planning on an update of EBNE in 4 to 6 weeks. In final rundowns of the product I found a few minor areas of improvements that I would like to see happen. Please let me know if you notice or think of ways that the book will be more useful to you and your research. I would like to get those improvements incorporated in the next, planned, update.

Thanks for your patience in all this.

Kyle,

Thank you for your suggestion request for updating this resource. I am wondering about a few entries specifically within the research area of world religions. My suggestions are for the Britannica Encyclopedia, and not for the Comptons Encyclopedia:

"Islamic arts" made the list. "Islam" did not. Could you add the article on "Islam"?
Could you add the article on "Qur'an"?
Could you add the article for "African religions"?
Could you add Buddha, Muhammad, Akbar, and Zoroaster? Major figures from other religions would be helpful. Confucius, Joseph Smith III, Ghandi, and Guru Nank already made the list. Could you add the entries mentioned above?
Could you add articles for two major world religions, "Bahāʾī Faith" and "Sikhism"? Two articles on the list of articles over 1200 words shared this week seem like they may have been added by way of conflation(?) Bahia and Sikkim. Both of these are rather obscure states in countries abroad. They are similarly-spelled to the previously mentioned world religions.

When we produced this title I structured the resource to faciliate easier updates should we ever receive additional content from the publisher.

If so, we will keep your suggestions in mind.

WR82:

Add additional hyperlinks to instances of article titles found in other articles. These are hyperlinked infrequently, and this would add a lot of benefit to users.

Internal links from one article to another were provided to us by the publisher.

How and when these links occur is actually more extensive than a typical Logos edition. (e.g. we limit internal linking to overt references such as "See article on XYZ" whereas in EBNE there are links on undifferentiated text).

WR82:

Could you add more links to the timeline over time

I'm guessing you mean linking a date in EBNE to its corresponding event in the timeline.

This is something I would like to do but am working out solutions do so in a scalable manner. Right now our only option would be to evaluate each and every date reference. Since there are hundreds of thousands of links, evaluating each and everyone would not work.

WR82:

In the iPad app, clicking an entry does not bring a user to the actual word, but to a neighboring entry. Could this be updated?
In the iPad app, it is not possible to click a media file within an article in the encyclopedia and to hear or view the media resource. Could this be updated?

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean in the first question. Where are you clicking on the entry? (I'm thinking this might be a mobile as opposed to a resource issue but I'll need a bit more info to verify.)

It's unlikely that we'll embed the videos. This is mostly due to the enormous size of the resource. Embedding videos would make it unwieldy.

WR82:

Finally, I have a few questions:

What are your plans to update this resource? What is the time line of future plans? (Are planned updates only for internal tagging or convenient features, but not to add content?) I am interested to learn if more articles over 1200 words will be added to the Encyclopedia Britannica Noet edition
Is there a plan in place with the publisher to add the Britannica Encyclopedia of World Religions In the future? (This is a separate resource)
Could you let me know which of these suggestions/questions will happen and which will not? With an update scheduled for 4-6 weeks in the future, I am hopeful to learn what will be updated.
Thank you for considering these ideas. Thank you for your efforts to improve this resource. It is great to have a resource with a broader focus that covers the 20th and 21st centuries.

-WR82

Thanks for the suggestions/questions. I really appreciate hearing them.

At this point there are no plans for additional content. I'm not saying it won't ever happen but there is nothing in the works.

Right now my targeted updates focus on Table of Content Entries and Headwords. I'd like to better differentiate similar entries and provide more headword options per article. I think this will improve connection points between resources.

Kyle, thank you for your work and for the answers you've provided.. The internal benefits of connection points between resources would be positive and if that's what is possible, it seems like a worthwhile improvement.

Again, the sheer amount of entries in this resource, able to be copied and pasted (with automatic citation) into lessons and user created content is quite substantial. It's difficult to assess this resource in a short amount of time since it's got a lot of positives that are only able to be stumbled upon or hit upon in searches. 

I understand that the publisher had some constraints, and even with some articles that were unable to be licensed, the sheer number of useful of articles and descriptions on a wide array of topics is still very valuable to me. I used it to prepare for a lesson today and even showed a video in class from the included media. I appreciate the lifetime license that will allow me access to this content. Also, I really appreciate the Compton's Encyclopedia for covering many topics and for making some subjects more accessible.

About the ipad video link issue I mentioned: The Ipad app plays the videos just fine, but only through the specific Compton's or Britannica media resource. Is it possible to have a link inline within the encyclopedias themselves that would open the appropriate video "Encyclopedia Britannica (Media)"  or "Compton's Encyclopedia (media)" resources with one click?

Thank you for considering this. -WR82

Posts 408
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 2:08 PM

Stephen Terlizzi:

Kyle G. Anderson:

Does this mean that Encyclopedia Britannica refuses to provide anymore content period or does this mean that Encyclopedia Britannica refuses to provide anymore content at the licensing price that Fatihlife is willing to pay?

Agape,

Steve

Initially, EB was going to provide the EBNE project only with articles of >1200 words. Then, after some negotiations with FL, EB relented and added a number of longer articles before the resource was ready to ship. We don't know for certain what EB's criteria may be for allowing/withholding articles. Yet, this brief history shows that there is some reason to hope for more. So I remain guardedly optimistic that EB might allow more of the lengthier articles into EBNE. 

Would it help you, Kyle, if we could come up with a list of longer articles that are not currently available that we would most want to see in EBNE? (Plato, Origen, Augustine, Martin Luther, C.S. Lewis, and Pope Benedict XVI come to mind, just to name a few.) A prioritized list of desired articles. Also, we don't know how many people have actually purchased EBNE or plan to do so. Are projected or actual sales figures a factor in these negotiations? If we could show that there was strong interest within the FL community in the EBNE, would that help? Just a few thoughts. 

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 2:14 PM

Mark Nolette:

Would it help you, Kyle, if we could come up with a list of longer articles that are not currently available that we would most want to see in EBNE? (Plato, Origen, Augustine, Martin Luther, C.S. Lewis, and Pope Benedict XVI come to mind, just to name a few.) A prioritized list of desired articles. Also, we don't know how many people have actually purchased EBNE or plan to do so. Are projected or actual sales figures a factor in these negotiations? If we could show that there was strong interest within the FL community in the EBNE, would that help? Just a few thoughts. 

I would probably be satisfied if the EBNE included, in addition to what it now has, all the articles available on the free iPhone and iPad apps. I do not understand why they were not included.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 2:23 PM

Kyle,

Thank you for all your hard work! I seem to recall in the early discussions about this resource that Faithlife had mentioned there would be periodic updates for a relatively small price so that customers who purchased this resource would stay up to date. Is it safe to say from your comments about additional content that nothing was ever worked out for this to happen?

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 2:27 PM

Bill Moore:
I would probably be satisfied if the EBNE included, in addition to what it now has, all the articles available on the free iPhone and iPad apps. I do not understand why they were not included.

It might be helpful for us to contact EB directly and point out the apparent discrepancy and see what they say. They definitely get a cut of each sale, and we might be able to persuade them that there are customers who would pay good money for the articles they are elsewhere making available for free.

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 2:27 PM

Bill Moore:

It might be helpful for us to contact EB directly and point out the apparent discrepancy and see what they say. They definitely get a cut of each sale, and we might be able to persuade them that there are customers who would pay good money for the articles they are elsewhere making available for free.

Posts 196
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 3:32 PM

Bill Moore:

Mark Nolette:

I agree. It is very hard to justify spending even my pre-pub $100  and getting less articles than the freemium solution from Britannica. The linking to other Faithlife resources is just not than compelling.

Agape,

Steve

Posts 16
Paul Samuel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 28 2016 2:12 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

To Kyle: Regarding updates on the Table of Content Entries, does this include second level outline of a longer topic like the Crusades?  Currently, there is only one level of outline ("The First Crusade ...", "The Era of the Second and Third Crusades", etc.), but no subheadings under "The First Crusade" which appear in the online version (https://www.britannica.com/event/Crusades): "Background and context", "Preparations for the Crusade", etc.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 8 2017 10:06 PM

I have a couple quick questions concerning Britannica. I own the EBNE and Compton's bundle.

1. Do I still need to keep a subscription to the $15/year iOS app (Dan mentioned he was using it in the past until EBNE shipped) or a subscription to Britannica Online (if I'm primarily involved in biblical studies), or is what I have in the bundle in Logos sufficient? Are you keeping your iOS subscription Dan or did you drop it after the bundle shipped?

2. Is it worth bidding on this older edition of EB on CP or is this likely a dead in the water project now that we have the EBNE bundle? https://www.logos.com/product/33266/encyclopedia-britannica

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 2310
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 8 2017 10:23 PM

Nathan Parker:
1. Do I still need to keep a subscription to the $15/year iOS app

I did some spot checking and comparing between versions back then. I didn't find one single difference. Hence the subscription is waste of money.

Nathan Parker:
2. Is it worth bidding on this older edition of EB on CP or is this likely a dead in the water project now that we have the EBNE bundle?

It's worth bidding on every CP resource that you'd like to have, however, it's not worth bidding the suggested price for each resource.

If the project is dead in the water, then IMO bidding is even more important.

(I have bid on about 80% of CP resources, of which about 80% are likely to fail!)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 896
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 9 2017 5:21 AM

Nathan Parker:
2. Is it worth bidding on this older edition of EB on CP or is this likely a dead in the water project now that we have the EBNE bundle? https://www.logos.com/product/33266/encyclopedia-britannica

The 11th edition is universally praised as the best written, most comprehensive EB ever produced. But it is also very much out of date. I hope it makes it, and hope you bid, but it was dead in the water long before Noet Edition.

Posts 896
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 9 2017 5:21 AM

Nathan Parker:

The 11th edition is universally praised as the best written, most comprehensive EB ever produced. But it is also very much out of date. I hope it makes it, and hope you bid, but it was dead in the water long before Noet Edition.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 9 2017 1:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I checked and my iOS subscription is properly canceled, so I’ll ensure the app is tossed and stick with EBNE and Compton’s. 

Ill look into bidding on the classic EB. It sounds interesting. It’s likely dead in the water and will never see the light of day, but I’ll try anyway. :-)

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Page 17 of 17 (337 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 | RSS