Bug: Turabian footnotes not citing correctly in Logos 6

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9
Mark Lamprecht | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 19 2015 10:25 AM

When I copy and paste from Logos into a Word document, the footnote created looks more like a bibliography entry with the author's last name first and so on.

Instead, a footnote in Turabian (8th ed.) should begin with the author's first name, etc. as follows.

Thomas Schreiner, 40 Questions About Christians and Biblical Law (40 Questions and Answers Series)(Grand Rapids: Kregel Academic & Professional, 2010), 1.

Is there a way to fix this formating in Logos 6?

Thanks,

Mark

Posts 10483
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2015 2:00 PM

Seems to be working correctly for me. Are you running Mac or Windows?

Posts 9
Mark Lamprecht | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2015 4:54 PM

Jack, I am using Windows. I will give both the bibliography and footnote from Logos and then in the proper Turabian style (using eTurabian). I just copied the following a few minutes ago. You can actually see the copy and paste in the footnote. The bibliographic entry looks fine, but the footnote is not formatted properly.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

“This fallacy occurs when a late use of a word is read back into earlier literature.”[1]

Logos Bibliography:

Carson, D. A. Exegetical Fallacies. 2nd ed. Carlisle, U.K.; Grand Rapids, MI: Paternoster; Baker Books, 1996.

Logos Footnote:

Carson, D. A. (1996). Exegetical fallacies (2nd ed., p. 33). Carlisle, U.K.; Grand Rapids, MI: Paternoster; Baker Books.

Proper Bibliography:

Carson, D.A. Exegetical Fallacies. 2nd ed. Carlisle, U.K.: Baker Academic, 1996.

Proper Footnote:

D.A. Carson, Exegetical Fallacies, 2nd ed. (Carlisle, U.K.: Baker Academic, 1996), 33.

[1] Carson, D. A. (1996). Exegetical fallacies (2nd ed., p. 33). Carlisle, U.K.; Grand Rapids, MI: Paternoster; Baker Books.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
Posts 10483
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2015 3:51 AM

Using the same quote with Logos 6.7 Beta 3, Mac OS 10.11, and MS Word for Mac 2011. Would be interesting to know if anyone else using Windows has encountered this problem. 

Posts 9
Mark Lamprecht | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2015 6:48 AM

Jack, thanks for letting me know that Logos does - or can - create proper Turabian footnotes. I would love to fix my issue as it would making writing papers a bit more smooth.

Thanks!

Posts 3148
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2015 9:49 AM

What version of Word are you using, Mark? You can check by clicking the File menu in the top left of the ribbon, and "Office Account." I'd like the dated version, and the "Office Updates" version. 

Posts 9
Mark Lamprecht | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2015 10:10 AM

I use Office 2007, but I'm not at that computer to get the updates.

Posts 3148
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2015 12:03 PM

Mark Lamprecht:

I use Office 2007

Have you tried OpenOffice or LibreOffice? Both are free office suites. You can find them here and here respectively. 

Posts 9
Mark Lamprecht | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 8:17 AM

Tommy, I paid for Word and should not have to add more software just to get footnotes to work correctly when others don't have the same problem. I'll pass. :)

Posts 2788
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 9:08 AM

Mark Lamprecht:
I paid for Word and should not have to add more software just to get footnotes to work

Yes

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 21713
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 9:12 AM

Jack Caviness:
Using the same quote with Logos 6.7 Beta 3, Mac OS 10.11, and MS Word for Mac 2011. Would be interesting to know if anyone else using Windows has encountered this problem. 

On Windows I get the same as Jack

Posts 21713
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 9:16 AM

Mark Lamprecht:

Tommy, I paid for Word and should not have to add more software just to get footnotes to work correctly when others don't have the same problem. I'll pass. :)

Mark - what Citation Style setting do you have? (Tools -> Program Settings)

To check whether this is anything to do with Word versions what do you get if you paste into Notepad?

Posts 3148
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 3:55 PM

Mark Lamprecht:

I can empathize with that; however, Microsoft stopped support for Word 2007 in 2012 and adding code to support eight-year-old software would risk unnecessary instability into Logos for the vast majority of users who are using current supported software. 

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 4:16 PM

Mark Lamprecht:

Microsoft stopped support for Word 2007

I don't think it has anything to do with the version of Word. The citation of that resource is fine for me in Word 2003 in Windows 7.

Nevertheless, I have seen various citation formatting errors from time to time in Logos. Make sure you have the latest version of Logos.

Posts 9
Mark Lamprecht | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2015 4:47 PM

Graham, that was it! How could I have over-looked what should have been the first solution? Indifferent I suppose I didn't look there or thought I did because when I click on "Resource information" so I can copy the bibliography entry, it says Turabian. And I'm sure it worked correctly in the past. Maybe some settings change in upgrading to Logos 6. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Thanks, Graham, and everyone who tried to help!

Posts 21713
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 12:36 AM

Glad to help, glad you have it working

Posts 6
Jon Winkelman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2016 9:46 PM

Thanks so much for posting and for everyone answering! just helped me figure it out as well.

Posts 1
Daniel Good | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 7:17 PM

I got Turabian set for the footnotes as described above (thanks Graham!), but the footnote does not include the paper number. Is there a fix for this?

Posts 10483
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2016 4:31 AM

Daniel Good:

I got Turabian set for the footnotes as described above (thanks Graham!), but the footnote does not include the paper number. Is there a fix for this?

Not sure I understand. Are you talking about the display in Logos or of text pasted into another app?

Posts 9
Mark Lamprecht | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2016 5:57 AM

Daniel, if I understand you correctly, you are asking why the page number is not showing up in the Turabian citation. Unfortunately, every Logos book does not have a page number. The problem may be, for those that have page numbers, that you do not have those particular books' page numbers checked to display.

In the settings of each particular book, there is a box you need to select for page numbers.

• Open a Logos resource
  • Click the Visual Filters icon (three circles) on the resource’s toolbar
  • Click Show page numbers

See: https://blog.logos.com/2010/09/logos_4_display_page_numbers_inline/

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS