Is there a good way to organize clippings files?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 667
Jim | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 24 2015 4:27 PM

After years of avoiding clipping files, I decided to use one to make it easy to capture material I read on Hebrews. It is easier than doing copy and paste into a notes file. But I find that the only way I see to rearrange the clippings is to drag them from the end which seems to be the only place Logos will put new clippings to the place I want them. But this is tediously slow as I have to drag and wait for the screen to scroll up ( I have a fairly fast Intel i5 computer). I also don't see a way to sort them by date or tag. Am I missing something?

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 6:18 PM

I use layers of Favorites to organize all of my documents.

Posts 9468
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 6:55 PM

Jim, you aren't missing anything. Clippings files are pretty basic. This is an area that could use some fresh interface thinking.

You might try creating a blank clippings file, placing the two next to each other and dragging your clippings from the old file to the new one in the order you want them to be. Drag first whatever you want to be first and so on.

Of course this would have to be repeated every time you wanted to resort.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 667
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 7:31 PM

I was wondering if that was possible. Thanks for the idea. Though I was hoping that I could just read a number of texts, copying parts I wanted to save for handout or reference. If it turned out to be a lot, rearranging by hand may be very time consuming, but I'll give it a try.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 667
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 7:32 PM

I don't really understand your suggestion. I was wondering how to sort/arrange the clippings within the clipping file itself. Does your suggestion address that?

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 9468
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2015 7:57 PM

Jim:
If it turned out to be a lot, rearranging by hand may be very time consuming, but I'll give it a try.

I would love to have an easier way to rearrange clippings, too. I do hope Faithlife will give this part of the user interface some of the same attention they've given to a few other parts that they've recently greatly improved. For example, I'd like to have a way to organize a single clippings file with headings and subheadings, with clippings arranged under each as I chose. Then I'd like an easy way to specify where a new clipping ends up in that system.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 31933
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 2:26 PM

You can tag your clippings then select on mytag ... see lower left hand side of clipping.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9468
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 4:31 PM

MJ. Smith:
You can tag your clippings then select on mytag ... see lower left hand side of clipping.

Select where?

I'm not sure how this could help in reordering clippings. Perhaps you are far ahead of my thinking. A little more explanation might help.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 31933
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 25 2015 6:27 PM

Mark Smith:

MJ. Smith:

Select where?

I'm not sure how this could help in reordering clippings. Perhaps you are far ahead of my thinking. A little more explanation might help.

Select via Search ... it doesn't reorder but allows you to pretend you have many orders. Sorry I didn't mean to be so cryptic.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 506
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2016 6:45 PM

Has there been any progress in this area? I'm happy to see Clippings finally make its way onto the platform and will probably migrate my notes to Clippings, but I'm surprised to find that there isn't a way to sort Clippings once they're added aside from dragging and dropping.

Logos is at version 6.9. Is this feature non-existent, or am I missing it?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS