What are the Best Commentary for Luke in Logos?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 30 2015 6:10 AM

Hi

can't search Groups in Faithlife. So I ask here. I'm in Study for Luke and would like to here from you what are the Best Commentaries in Logos for the Gospel of Luke?

Sascha

Posts 2304
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2015 6:24 AM

You can check bestcommentaries.com for their suggests, or you can check out Denver's NT Exegesis Bibliography on their website here, or you can us the PB that I created here.  If you use the PB, make sure to download the newest one from September 26.

Others will come around with personal suggestions as well, but it might help to know what type of commentary you are looking for.  Do you want something that is more academic?  Devotional?  Bock in the NIVAC might be a good choice for a middle of the road between scholarly and devotional.  He has written several highly considered academic ones as well.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2015 6:29 AM

Hi Joseph

I will check your PB :-)

I like to see all Commentaries someone like and a Word why.

Posts 2304
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2015 6:31 AM

Sascha John:
I like to see all Commentaries someone like and a Word why.

That's one thing I like about the Denver OT bibliography vs the NT.  The OT is fully annotated, which is very helpful, but the NT is not.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 25338
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2015 6:37 AM

Don Carson has a book on NT commentaries including a section on each NT book https://www.logos.com/product/5342/new-testament-commentary-survey-6th-ed 

Posts 25338
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2015 7:05 AM

Jonathan Pitts:
I am enjoying Darrel Bock's two-volume commentary at the moment.

Interestingly Carson says about Bock's BECNT commentaries:

Pride of place goes to the two volumes of Darrell L. Bock (/BECNT; 1994–96, $109.98 for the pair or $54.99 each). It is recent, comprehensive, well written, and intelligent

D. A. Carson, New Testament Commentary Survey (6th ed.; Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2007), 63.

Posts 3090
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2015 8:46 AM

Sascha John:
what are the Best Commentaries in Logos for the Gospel of Luke?

As always, 'best' commentary lists are strictly opinion and will depend on the person, theological viewpoint, etc.

My two favorites in Logos are Bock (BECNT) and Marshall (NIGTC). Behind those I'd put Stein (NAC), and then probably Green (NICNT).

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2015 9:20 AM

Doc B:

As always, 'best' commentary lists are strictly opinion and will depend on the person, theological viewpoint, etc.

My two favorites in Logos are Bock (BECNT) and Marshall (NIGTC). Behind those I'd put Stein (NAC), and then probably Green (NICNT).

I would echo this Yes

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 300
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2015 9:38 AM

Fitzmyer's 2 volumes on Luke in the Anchor Yale Bible Commentary.

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2015 10:14 AM

Thanks for help :-)

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2015 11:59 AM

IT all depends on your goals. Some commentaries are highly technical but seemingly offer little useful insight. Others are very theology but offer little textual issues, some are almost all exposition. I have found  Belief: A Theological Commentary on the Bible: Luke by Justo L. Gonzalez and Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching Luke by Fred B. Craddock to be both very insightful and useful but are they best in textual study,most certainly not. I suppose one of the best over all ones I own in Logos is the 3 volume  Word Biblical Commentary, Volume 35a: Luke 1:1–9:20 by John Nolland (Luke 9:21–18:34 Luke 18:35–24:53). Although his exposition (Explanations) often times focus too much on textual make up rather than direct meaning in my mind. Another one I would highly recommend although it can be pretty pretty technical at times is Hermeneia: Luke 1: A Commentary on the Gospel of Luke1:1–9:50 by Francois Bovon (Luke 3: A Commentary on the Gospel of Luke19:28–24:53 Luke 2: A Commentary on the Gospel of Luke9:51–19:27).

The following is a very brief sample:

■ 46* A number of Latin manuscripts put the Magnificat in Elizabeth’s mouth. Σὺν αὐτῇ (“with her [Elizabeth]”) in v. 56* also seems to presuppose that she is the singer. One could hypothetically reconstruct two annunciations for the Baptist tradition—one to Zechariah, one to Elizabeth—and, correspondingly, two songs: one by Elizabeth, one by Zechariah. But all the Greek texts and ancient versions, with the noted exception, read “Mary.” After Elizabeth’s speech, one should also expect a reaction on the part of Mary. If Elizabeth continued to speak, a second introduction would be superfluous, or it should at least contain an indication that she again began to speak and spoke further. Nevertheless, how could Elizabeth have become the one who prays the Magnificat in these Latin manuscripts? Had the encounter of the two women perhaps been chosen as the liturgical reading for the (very ancient) festival of Zechariah and Elizabeth, and the song attributed to John’s mother because of this?49
Mary does not really answer Elizabeth’s question (v. 43*); she reacts very independently with her joy over the sign’s confirmation (v. 36*): “My soul praises the greatness of the Lord.” Hannah thanks God for Samuel’s birth in a similar manner (1 Sam [LXX 1 Kgdms] 2:1*); but there is also a clear relationship to the Psalms, especially Ps 34:1–3 (LXX 33:2–4)*. “My soul” here means Mary’s “I” in her consciousness and inner life. “The Lord” is the living God, the Father, who acts faithfully and kindly in the present generation. Μεγαλύνω (“to make great”) means, as often in the Jews’ religious language, “to praise, extol.”50 Recognizing God’s greatness and declaring it in the form of a prayer also belong to the word’s semantic range. The greatness for which God is praised is not that of a ruler who degrades, but that of a savior who applies his power on behalf of people.

Footnote 49:

This last hypothesis was suggested to me by my assistant, M. Durrer. On this great text-critical problem, see Metzger, Textual Commentary, 130–31; Brown, Birth, 334–36; Fitzmyer, 1.365–66; Gueuret, Engendrement, 75 n. 36, 85–100; idem, “Sur Luc 1, 46–55: Comment peut-on être amené à penser qu’Élisabeth est ‘sémiotiquement’ celle qui a prononcé le cantique en Lc 1, 46?” Centre protestant d’études et de documentation: Supplément (April 1977) 3–11.

Footnote 50: 

On μεγαλύνω in Luke (rare; see Acts 10:46*; 19:17*) and in the NT, see Spicq, Lexicon, 2.459–60.

Hermeneia Luke includes usually Narrative analysis,   introductory commentary for sections, detailed commentary which is what i shared here and section conclusions summaries and finally History of Interpretation.

-Dan

PS: you may notice footnote 49, each section covered starts at 1, so in dealing with Luke 1:39–56 there are 101 detailed notes some briefer than above others can be several paragraphs long.

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2015 9:39 PM

Hi Dan

last Sound interseting to me wich commentary is this?

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2015 12:03 AM

The sample given is from Hermeneia... if you wanted to see the full sample of the text discussed above I could easily put it into a PDF and post it here. 

Dan

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2015 1:19 AM

thanks

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2015 1:49 AM

Hey Dan

would be cool if I could hav 1, 1-4 of Luke as PDF Or even the whol First Chapter

Sascha

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2015 12:31 PM

Here is Luke chapter 1 in Hermenia..... File Deleted

-Dan

Posts 2304
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2015 1:06 PM

Dan Francis:

Here is Luke chapter 1 in Hermenia, 183 pages.....

-Dan

Dan, I don't know if you should have posted that.  That is almost 15% of the entire volume.  

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2015 2:22 PM

Yes but it is 62 printed pages of the volume... which is 12% and is definitely above the 10% maximum.... Had i realized it was over 10% of the volume I would not have shared it, but I will leave it in place till Sascha has had the chance to see it then I will remove it, thank you for making me aware of the situation.

-Dan

Posts 3349
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2015 8:42 PM

Hi Dan thank I've got it.

Sascha

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS