Old Logos Newsgroups Shutting Down in Two Weeks

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1870
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 16 2010 12:17 PM

When we launched the forums in June, we indicated that our old newsgroups were going to be discontinued eventually. It's been eight months, and it's time to close them down. On March 1, 2010 they will no longer be accessible. If you'd like to save anything for archival purposes, you have until then to do so.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 12:32 PM

sniff, sniff....goodbye old friend. May the forum you gave birth to continue on your legacy as a faithful son/daughter.

Posts 3690
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 3:55 PM

Hi Phil,

I'd add my "goodbye old friend", too, to the NGs... Thank you Logos for providing them. Thank you also for the forums.

I'm beginning to find that obedience to the new guidelines is stifling the community I/we once enjoyed... Maybe that's ok. Maybe the scale of activity on the forums means that community needs to happen elsewhere so that real help can be provided to those who need it. For me, it was always the MIX of help + community that made the NGs & the early forums so attractive.

If I'm less active on the forums from here on out, that's why. Technically, others have far more to offer... And technical focus seems to be where the forums are headed. Many blessings to you all...

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 9137
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 4:27 PM

Bill,

I agree that there is less sense of community right now on the forums. It's become a help forum not just a Logos user's forum. In some ways during the initial beta testing I think there was some sense of community, but it has been mostly helping others, making suggestions, etc.since then.

Some of the change in feeling is probably because of the sheer numbers of people participating.

Anyway, don't go away. We need some folks with great hearts like you to keep the place warm.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 25650
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 2:23 AM

Mark A. Smith:
Anyway, don't go away. We need some folks with great hearts like you to keep the place warm.

I will miss Bill more than the newsgroup! Please reconsider...

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25650
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 2:25 AM

Philip Spitzer:
sniff, sniff....goodbye old friend.

That was my sentiment before reading Bill's post! 

But, yes, the NG was a good place to be for several years.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 3:38 AM

Bill, you just named it for me. I felt something is not as it had been before and I think you nailed it. Don't leave please. Let us invent something new (special Logos users community forum?) where the purpose would be different from the existing forums. I think one forum called something like Fellowship or so would serve well that purpose. You are right. The Beta time and even before, the "dreaming time" about the new version of Logos, had some dynamics we will always miss.

Bohuslav

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 3:48 AM

It has been suggested before, but what about a separate section for some of the community chat/socializing that occurred on the old newsgroup?  Something like "The Watercooler" or something.....I would frequent it like I did on the old NG (I lurked more than posted there, but still....)

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 4:03 AM

BillS:
If I'm less active on the forums from here on out, that's why.

Bill!,

I would only say that one of the reasons that I like the forum so much is the different people (brothers and sisters in Christ) that I've come to know and love!

Everyone here has their own unique personality, and it wasn't until you said you'd be spending less time here that I realized just how much that aspect has affected me.

You've been a good friend, and an example to me...please hang around brother....

bob

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 225
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 5:36 AM

Obviously, from my number of posts, I am not one of the news groupers (I'd go on there for each new release or update, or when I was having issues, to learn what I was missing, then fade away).  

When a church or youth ministry starts to really increase in numbers, some of these same issues come up.  Small groups often help the originals to stay connected and not loose what was so good that it grew very fast.  So I too vote for a watercooler / community / connection newsgroup to gain back what has been lost for many.    

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 7:06 AM

Dominick Sela:
Something like "The Watercooler" or something.....

How about "Narthex" which is exactly where a lot of those types of conversations are held?

DP

<><

Posts 23
Jim Poulsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 7:23 AM

I've tried to add this forum RSS feed to my MS Outlook but keep getting an error. The Logos regular RSS daily feed works fine in my Outlook. Suggestions? Is there any other way to get the posts onto my hard drive for offline viewing/storage?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 7:58 AM

Philip, Bill, Mark, Dave, Bohusloav, Dominick, Robert, Michael, David, (Jim P. I don't remember if you were there or not) and any other newsgroupers out there,

I miss the newsgroups too and still check them daily (not that I've contributed much recently). They are so much easier to navigate than this forum. Here, if it's not in "Recent Topics" or "My Discussions" I don't see it.

One of the reasons the newsgroups were more of a community is that fewer of us used them. It's like the small church vs. mega church syndrome. In a small church we all know each other; in a mega church there's a lot more activities but not always more camaraderie. (I'm resisting taking my analogy on a tangent and starting a rant - but I'll stop myself.)

At the same time, I, for one, am glad that we're clamping down on some of the banter. This got out of hand, once in a while in the newsgroups, but there have been a few here that have gotten pretty nasty. And on the newsgroups I don't remember a theological discussion that actually changed anyone's mind about the position they had when they joined the discussion.

I also like seeing the pictures next to the names. It's amazing how different people look here than I imagined them to look by the personalities that emerged in the newsgroups!

And, although we're not as tight a group as we once were, there are a lot more people getting help, learning about using Logos, and finding a place to make suggestions. Over all, I think that's good, and I'm happy for all those that have been helped by what we've learned over the years in the newsgroups about how to use Logos software.

Finally, while we do want to focus on using Logos software, there's no reason we can't let our personalities shine through once in a while, even as we respond to questions, or ask our own. And the times when someone has asked for prayer (e.g.), the response has been good. In other words, if we want to have a community here, we need to build it over time, and by being ourselves.

On that note of letting our personalities out once in a while, this happened in our church this week. A boy of about 5 or 6 was sitting with his coloring book and his grandmother and asked "Who's house is this?" The grandmother explained "This is God's house." The boy looked around "I don't see him." "We can't see Him, but He's all around us," she explained. He still didn't get it. Just then I got up on the stage to start the service. The boy shrugged his shoulders and said, "Oh, there he is," and went back to coloring his picture. [I know that it sounds so cute it could be apocryphal, but it actually happened last Sunday. Oh, BTW, I refused the promotion.]

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 9137
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 8:05 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
Oh, BTW, I refused the promotion.

Good idea. Way too much responsibility. Wink

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3690
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 8:26 AM

Mark, Dave, Bohuslav, Robert, Rich, & others,

I'm still here... just don't see a "space" for community in the structure or in the guidelines... and that's being played out in the posts.

If the community "feel" is of value to Logos (our host), I trust them to act to make it clear in some way that it's ok.

I'd support enthusiastically the notion that this isn't a forum for debate. (I don't know of anyone who's been debated into a new theological position; but, sadly,  I do know people who've been argued out of the church.) Yet, other than debate, if there's no water cooler or narthex or... in the structure (that can be safely ignored by anyone seeking real help), then to me it looks like the sheer size of Logos as it grows will reinforce the direction the forums now appear to be headed.

Logos itself appears to be headed on-line (cloud) to a degree that I can't go (not uninterested & not WON'T go, but CAN'T go)...  I only have internet at home, not in the office. My church is so small, there are lots of things we can't afford. To help make end$ meet personally in our jobs-poor area, I've chosen not to afford a data contract for my smart phone (& have disabled the capability to avoid unexpected costs). If the app (whether it be PC, laptop, or portable) isn't totally capable of working without internet, I have extremely limited ability to participate in it. To whatever extent Logos heads into a cloud only type of app, I guess I'm choosing not to go there. So, I've asked myself what I have to contribute that the forums increasingly need... and my answer is, increasingly, little... So.... Smile

I hope to see you in eternity, if not before. Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 11:25 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Philip, Bill, Mark, Dave, Bohusloav, Dominick, Robert, Michael, David, (Jim P. I don't remember if you were there or not) and any other newsgroupers out there,

I miss the newsgroups too and still check them (EDIT: occassionally)

+ Richard (thanks for this list) and also Phil Gons (who was "promoted" from among our ranks).

Although at first the Newsgroups were hard to find and to connect to (obviously an issue for Logos) they did provide much help.

Small "geekish" confession: A number of years ago I had some free time so read every post related to the beta testing of Libronix X. Enjoyed reading all of your contributions and seeing its development.

R.I.P.

Steve Filyer

Regards, SteveF

Posts 9137
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 11:57 AM

SteveF:
+ Richard (thanks for this list) and also Phil Gons (who was "promoted" from among out ranks).

Lots of others contributed a lot. Some that come to mind are (of course) Thomas, Whyndell, Joan K., George S., Charles W.,  Jack C., and Nathan (not the Nathan's Famous guy) who took center stage for awhile. Also Joe K. who added so many PBBs to Thomas' site.

The liability of lists like this is one minute later you recall someone you should have put on it. Sorry in advance. I gained a lot from the newsgroups, but the last year and a half read them less and less frequently.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 12:19 PM

Mark A. Smith:
The liability of lists like this is one minute later you recall someone you should have put on it.

Yes, there is also John Mc___. of "Builder Builder" fame. Thanks so much!

Regards, SteveF

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 1:58 PM

Actually the NG's have been a great resource over the years, and I agree with all the sentiments expressed so far.

Now that it is official, I shall go into a period of mourning. Fortunately, the biblical model is only 30 days. That means this time next month I can be my normal bubbly self after washing my hands and face.....heheh. 

If you think THAT is bad, you shoulda seen me when they took away MS-DOS! Stick out tongue

God bless

{charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 2:05 PM

First I thought I will not be able to get used to the forums. Now I realized only today that after installing Windows 7 few weeks ago I did not even install them anymore. (by the way, is there Windows Mail in Win 7?)

I have an archive of all posts however.

Bohuslav

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS