Topic search

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 16 2010 4:51 PM

Is there any way to search for specific topics/words without pulling up all the other entries with the same word?  In other words, if I want the definition of "worship" in all my dictionaries but don't want to pull up every occurence of "worship" in every sentence, can I do that?

Posts 33418
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 5:01 PM

Anthony U:
can I do that?

Not to the best of my knowledge.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27034
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 5:03 PM

Anthony,

Read the discussion at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/11747/91883.aspx and follow the other links.

Basically, perform a Basic Search of your "topic" word, start with the results from a dictionary in the Topic section, and then use the right & left arrow keys to scroll through your other dictionaries.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 85
Mike Waugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 5:18 PM

imo, the topic search falls way short of L3

I use my 'favorites' menu for a number of things, and this is one... I have a folder with my favorite Bible dictionaries in it. 

Dell Studio XPS16 / Win 7 64bit / i7 Q720 @ 1.60GHz (2.80GHz Turbo) 6MB Cache / 4GB RAM / 500GM Hard Disk @ 7200 RPM / ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 – 1GB

Posts 584
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 5:19 PM

Anthony

You can make a collection of just your Bible Dictionaries and search them with headword:worship. Why this doesn't find where worship is in the text of articles I don't know. I thought headword was limiting it to this, but I tried hd:worship and it worked - as did gork:worship, Logos:worship, and false:worship. Clearly there's something about the search syntax that I don't understand here.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 5:20 PM

Gary O'Neal:

Anthony

You can make a collection of just your Bible Dictionaries and search them with headword:worship. Why this doesn't find where worship is in the text of articles I don't know. I thought headword was limiting it to this, but I tried hd:worship and it worked - as did gork:worship, Logos:worship, and false:worship. Clearly there's something about the search syntax that I don't understand here.

This is because the Headword field isn't supported in searching for most resources (if I remember correctly). Click the info button on the resource, is headwords one of the search-able fields?

Posts 584
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 5:29 PM

Kevin Becker:
This is because the Headword field isn't supported in searching for most resources (if I remember correctly). Click the info button on the resource, is headwords one of the search-able fields?

Kevin

The dictionaries aren't indexed to search on the headterms. Why does  <anyterm>:<searchterm> return topics titled <searchterm>? For instance, hd:faith returned the following:

Posts 27034
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 5:41 PM

Gary O'Neal:
The dictionaries aren't indexed to search on the headterms. Why does  <anyterm>:<searchterm> return topics titled <searchterm>? For instance, hd:faith returned the following:

They return hits on "faith" ignoring the nonsense field like hd:  anything: which are non-searchable. Frankly, it is undesirable and should not occur. I have posted a similar bug report in the wiki but there is no forecast for a fix.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 584
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 5:50 PM

Dave Hooton:
They return hits on "faith" ignoring the nonsense field like hd:  anything: which are non-searchable.

But it doesn't return the same thing as just a search for "faith" would. That's what I'm not understanding. A link you posted in another post brought me to this reply by Sean Boisen http://community.logos.com/forums/t/3470.aspx?PageIndex=2. From this, I see that I just happened to try search terms that have been tagged as concepts. So, from Sean's remarks, I tried hd:communion and returned hits on synonyms and related concepts. 

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 6:02 PM

Gary, I searched "hd:communion" and "communion" and "footnote:communion" the topic search was the same for the nonsense field as it was for the regular search and valid field search. Your search for communion revealed the concept tagging that is sensitive to synonyms.

Posts 584
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 6:09 PM

You guys deserve extra stars for your patience with us newbies. I see what you and Dave are saying, but the nonsense field searches only return the topic search results without having to wait for the complete search to finish. Isn't this what the OP was after? I could think of times this would be useful--for instance when I start to study a topic and want to start with several dictionary articles.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 6:18 PM

Gary O'Neal:

You guys deserve extra stars for your patience with us newbies. I see what you and Dave are saying, but the nonsense field searches only return the topic search results without having to wait for the complete search to finish. Isn't this what the OP was after? I could think of times this would be useful--for instance when I start to study a topic and want to start with several dictionary articles.

No, the OP wanted to restrict a search to the article titles and not search the contents of the articles. This is a feature I hope that Logos will get around to implementing soon.

I hadn't considered making up a fake field to speed up topic searches. That could be handy to save a couple seconds here or there. However, I'm more likely to directly open AYBD or NBD than use a topic search to start a study.

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 5:13 AM

Gary-

Thanks for responding.  I do have a collection that I titled Dictionaries and searched using that for hd:worship but nothing came up.  I also tried a few other words like faith, sin, etc and nothing came up either.  Am I doing something wrong?

I was thinking that this would be simple - wrong again!

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 5:17 AM

When I search without using headword or hd, I get alot of hits.  I'm trying to narrow the search to entries about worship and not just any occurence of worship.  Thanks.

Posts 27034
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 6:28 PM

Anthony U:
When I search without using headword or hd, I get alot of hits.  I'm trying to narrow the search to entries about worship and not just any occurence of worship.  Thanks.

Anthony

You can search with a nonsense Field  like garbage:faith  or just search on faith and ignore the Library results. Either way the topic results for faith appears in the Topic section! The dictionary results in this section come from a headword search.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:09 AM

Thanks Dave - I appreciate the help.  I don't quite know what a "nonsense" field is, but the search worked.  Thanks again.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS