Original Languages Library

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 62
Michael Miles | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2015 6:02 PM

What ever happened to the Original Languages Library?  I could use some help coming up with a purchasing strategy that would give me all of the resources that were in the old Original Languages Library and give me access to the additional functionality that seems to only be offered in the Gold + Libraries, while at the same time side-stepping as much fluff material that I have absolutely zero use for and cringe at the idea of paying for.

The Starter Package has only a literal handful of resources that I'm even remotely interested in, for example.  It would be a complete waste of money for me to pay $30 for it.  The Bronze package is not much better, from my personal use perspective.  

My purchases are budgeted and I do not have a "book allowance" that some of the other Bible teachers here may enjoy the benefit of, but rather work a day job, similar to Peter and Paul, and I have to come up with the money out of my own pocket, so value is an important aspect and concern.

If there is an angle that I can get some direction towards on how to map out a purchasing strategy to build a formidable Original Languages library, I'd appreciate some assistance in getting a handle on that angle.

Thank you,

Michael

Posts 1606
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2015 6:26 PM

Like you I was a proud owner of the Original Languages Library. It concentrated on good quality material without the fluff of the other packages. And like you I am an amateur - I study it for the love of it - and have no budget to cover my book habit.

One good thing about Logos is that if you like what you have, you can keep it. And so I did for a long time. I eventually added a core update for some datasets for 5.0, and just this week finally got some new 6.0 datasets. The features I was used to still worked in 6.0 more or less like 4.0. I was just missing some of the new reports etc.

The Core upgrades are rather focused on the new datasets and a few resources to make them work. Take a look at https://www.logos.com/product/45040/logos-6-core-crossgrade and see what it would give you - and the cost. It may not fit your budget. It didn't fit mine for a long time. But it will update your old library with some of the new features.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 62
Michael Miles | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2015 6:48 PM

Ken McGuire:

Like you I was a proud owner of the Original Languages Library. It concentrated on good quality material without the fluff of the other packages. And like you I am an amateur - I study it for the love of it - and have no budget to cover my book habit.

One good thing about Logos is that if you like what you have, you can keep it. And so I did for a long time. I eventually added a core update for some datasets for 5.0, and just this week finally got some new 6.0 datasets. The features I was used to still worked in 6.0 more or less like 4.0. I was just missing some of the new reports etc.

The Core upgrades are rather focused on the new datasets and a few resources to make them work. Take a look at https://www.logos.com/product/45040/logos-6-core-crossgrade and see what it would give you - and the cost. It may not fit your budget. It didn't fit mine for a long time. But it will update your old library with some of the new features.

I certainly appreciate your help, Ken, but I no longer own that Original Languages Library as I gave it and a whole lot of other Logos resources away in my disdain over the quality of the Logos program at about the commencement of Logos 4.  My first Logos library came on floppy disks, which I still have.  I have the CDs for the Logos 3 Original Languages Library here that are Libronix and would gladly fork over another $300 to get a valid key for it to use for upgrade purposes, but I doubt that Logos would offer me that.  If they would, I'd certainly be a happy camper.

Thanks again,

Michael

Posts 25095
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2015 7:45 PM

Michael Miles:
I certainly appreciate your help, Ken, but I no longer own that Original Languages Library...  My first Logos library came on floppy disks, which I still have.  I have the CDs for the Logos 3 Original Languages Library here that are Libronix

There is a Biblical Languages package  but you need to be part of the Academic Program. Speak with Faithlife Sales about your old Original Languages library because they can licence older product with sufficient proof and will provide good direction with Logos 6 libraries and crossgrades (especially in regard to your Logos 7 query).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 62
Michael Miles | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2015 5:41 PM

Dave Hooton:

Michael Miles:
I certainly appreciate your help, Ken, but I no longer own that Original Languages Library...  My first Logos library came on floppy disks, which I still have.  I have the CDs for the Logos 3 Original Languages Library here that are Libronix

There is a Biblical Languages package  but you need to be part of the Academic Program. Speak with Faithlife Sales about your old Original Languages library because they can licence older product with sufficient proof and will provide good direction with Logos 6 libraries and crossgrades (especially in regard to your Logos 7 query).

Hello Dave,

It is a crying shame that the Original Languages package is not offered to regular joes like me, even at a higher price.  I have contacted a sales representative regarding licensing my old Original Languages package, but he cannot help me and asked that I reach out to Customer Service on my own to see if they can do anything for me.  If I could re-license that, then I would have at least a foundation to build towards what I would like to have as far as study tools in Logos.  We'll see how that goes.  The old Logos 3 Original Languages Library was a good deal and that is why I purchased it.  

Thanks for your help, Dave.  I appreciate it.

Posts 353
Virgil Buttram | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2015 9:39 PM

Michael Miles:

Hello Dave,

It is a crying shame that the Original Languages package is not offered to regular joes like me, even at a higher price.  I have contacted a sales representative regarding licensing my old Original Languages package, but he cannot help me and asked that I reach out to Customer Service on my own to see if they can do anything for me.  If I could re-license that, then I would have at least a foundation to build towards what I would like to have as far as study tools in Logos.  We'll see how that goes.  The old Logos 3 Original Languages Library was a good deal and that is why I purchased it.  

Thanks for your help, Dave.  I appreciate it.

I've had to contact Customer Service regarding older product before, and they were extremely helpful. I anticipate that you will have your older package available to you after you work with them.

Posts 1454
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2015 10:09 PM

Virgil Buttram:
It is a crying shame that the Original Languages package is not offered to regular joes like me, even at a higher price.

As I see it, this is a good idea and could be offered different sizes S, M, L, XL as many other packages/collections/metalcolor/whatever. They could do it before this Christmas.

The lowest package could have Greek only, just to learn enough to be dangerous.

Medium could add Hebrew and Latin

The highest could add Syriac/Aramaic, Coptic, Ethiopic, Gothic, etc?

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2015 5:13 AM

Veli Voipio:
The lowest package could have Greek only, just to learn enough to be dangerous.

Actually, Logos/faithlife  through the Noet brand offers something like this called the, Biblical Greek Research Library (32. vols)

Noet also offers a few different Judaic libraries, too.

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2015 6:12 AM

Dit you have an old Libronix Account?
I had SESB and Libronix...and I even lose my Email Adress. But they just addet my Libronix Account to Logos, so I could use all my Recources in Logos 6. It must be possible for your Logos 3 and 4 Stuff also? I worked along time with my old Libary from Libronix in Logos 5 and 6 Core engine.

Hope this helps

Sascha

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2015 6:16 AM

by the Way this Way above dit'nt cost me anything!

Posts 1014
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2015 6:37 AM

You can get it here - https://www.logos.com/basepackages#special-interest

Edit - Sorry it looks like you can but you can't...

You might also like - https://www.logos.com/product/55086/stuttgart-scholarly-editions-old-and-new-testament

Perhaps a basic base package with the above and a couple of good grammars like:

https://www.logos.com/product/34167/greek-grammar-beyond-the-basics

https://www.logos.com/product/698/a-biblical-hebrew-reference-grammar

Hope that helps.

John

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2015 7:17 AM

Caveats:
1. Not sure how Faithlife feels about this practice. I suspect they wouldn't want you to use it.
2. IF it works (and it may not) and IF you have titles already purchasing this way as I recall doesn't take advantage of dynamic pricing. SO if it includes hypothetical book A (which costs lets say 100$ as part of the BP), and you already have book A, then instead of paying 100$ less for ownership of book A, you'll pay full price.

However if you're ok with both of those then as I recall, if someone who doesn't own the package, but does have the academic discount pastes the link to the OLL base package it can be purchased. I personally wouldn't purchase through this method. Nor would I share the link. Nor do I know if this will still work or not. But there it is.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 62
Michael Miles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2015 12:40 PM

The Logos Sales Representative that I had brought this question to and has been steering me towards a Gold package, indicated that he could no nothing at all to help me and that I needed to contact Customer Service on my own to see if they could sell me a new key for the Logos 3 Original Languages Library.  This morning, after several email exchanges, I was told by Customer Service via email that I could purchase a new key for this Logos 3 library through my Sales Representative.  This representative would not even forward my initial request to CS.  So, this morning I fired him as my sales representative.  These people work on commission it appears, and I feel like my request was probably not worth lifting a finger on his end.

I also pay very close spiritual attention to how I am dealt with in matters such as this and I'm not yet getting a good vibe from Logos.  And I told them so.

Thank you all for your responses.  I need to prayerfully consider this.  I have very substantial original language resources in Accordance and BibleWorks and was interested in the Logos library only to be able to share notes and resource links with study colleagues and to perhaps get other perspectives.  I don't actually need it and if it's just a constant churn of hassles, I really don't need it.  The Stuttgart Original Languages Module at BibleWorks might be a better investment and far, far less exasperating, it would appear.

Posts 2353
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2015 1:11 PM

I'm not sure of all the specifics with your situation, but Logos is big on once you purchase a resource, it's yours.  You shouldn't have to repurchase a "key" to unlock an old resource.  I do know that you can contact the company president directly if you are unsatisfied.  He has posted both his email and phone number on the forums several times.  I don't have it in front of me, but maybe someone else does and can post it for you.

Posts 10592
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2015 1:18 PM

Ronald Quick:
You shouldn't have to repurchase a "key" to unlock an old resource. 

Perhaps you missed a comment Michael made earlier in this thread.

I no longer own that Original Languages Library as I gave it and a whole lot of other Logos resources away in my disdain over the quality of the Logos program at about the commencement of Logos 4.

It appears that he was wanting to reactivate a resource that now belongs to someone else.

Posts 62
Michael Miles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2015 1:40 PM

Jack Caviness:

Ronald Quick:

I no longer own that Original Languages Library as I gave it and a whole lot of other Logos resources away in my disdain over the quality of the Logos program at about the commencement of Logos 4.

It appears that he was wanting to reactivate a resource that now belongs to someone else.

This is precisely what I want to do.  It should possibly prove to be more economical than the current offerings that cover the same scope.

Posts 62
Michael Miles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2015 1:50 PM

Ronald Quick:

I'm not sure of all the specifics with your situation, but Logos is big on once you purchase a resource, it's yours.  You shouldn't have to repurchase a "key" to unlock an old resource.  I do know that you can contact the company president directly if you are unsatisfied.  He has posted both his email and phone number on the forums several times.  I don't have it in front of me, but maybe someone else does and can post it for you.

I started with Logos when it shipped on floppy disks.  I had amassed a pretty fair library at about the time Logos 3 came to be before I even purchased the Original Languages Library.  With the constant bugs between versions 3 & 4 I gave away my complete Logos collection because it seemed like everything was in a massive foul state with far more emphasis being placed on new applications for different devices and new features, while old features were being ditched and the bugs were seemingly seldom fixed.  I was trying to purchase a new key for an old package that I still have all of the media here for.  I have a pile of old Logos floppies and CDs that are absolutely ancient.

I had to create an entirely new account with Logos recently, of my own doing, because remnants of my previous licensed resources were being pushed to me on fresh Logos engine installs if I used my old account.  

Posts 2353
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2015 2:20 PM

Jack Caviness:

Ronald Quick:

You're right.  I missed an earlier post. Smile

Posts 2423
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2015 5:00 PM

Michael Miles:

I gave away my complete Logos collection because it seemed like everything was in a massive foul state with far more emphasis being placed on new applications for different devices and new features, while old features were being ditched and the bugs were seemingly seldom fixed.  I was trying to purchase a new key for an old package that I still have all of the media here for.  I have a pile of old Logos floppies and CDs that are absolutely ancient.

Comment: Why do you think that Logos will sell you a new key for the old disks that you have?  You state that "I gave away my complete Logos collection" BUT you kept the media.  The media no longer belongs to you. It belongs to who ever you gave the "complete Logos collection" to.  

Posts 62
Michael Miles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2015 5:02 PM

David Ames:

Michael Miles:

I gave away my complete Logos collection because it seemed like everything was in a massive foul state with far more emphasis being placed on new applications for different devices and new features, while old features were being ditched and the bugs were seemingly seldom fixed.  I was trying to purchase a new key for an old package that I still have all of the media here for.  I have a pile of old Logos floppies and CDs that are absolutely ancient.

Comment: Why do you think that Logos will sell you a new key for the old disks that you have?  You state that "I gave away my complete Logos collection" BUT you kept the media.  The media no longer belongs to you. It belongs to who ever you gave the "complete Logos collection" to.  

I don't think that.  I ASKED that.

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS