Hebrew Audio Bible - Another Appeal

Page 5 of 5 (91 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 90 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 19

It seems to me that all the varied opinions on this thread will not help to give Logos a push in the right direction. There are at least four pronunciation schemes that I have located for Hebrew. Each one is promoted as "correct" for its own reasons by someone. As a professor of Biblical Hebrew with students on track to move into other programs that use different schemes, I intentionally expose my students to the fact that there is no one correct way to pronounce Hebrew--and there wasn't one correct way in Biblical times. (Sibboleth/Shibboleth, anyone?) None of us will ever agree on the best pronunciation scheme. Why not get behind Logos' efforts to license products? Who knows? Perhaps one day they will have available multiple audio products that use different pronunciations and it will be possible to choose the one that best fits your teaching scenario?

Posts 2421
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 3 2019 5:04 PM

Sarah Blake LaRose:

There are at least four pronunciation schemes that I have located for Hebrew. Each one is promoted as "correct"...

Most people would be satisfied with one of the major schemes, although many would love to have a natural reading voice (hence the insistence on a native speaker).

God forbid a Klingon accent or, worse, a Texan incantation.

Posts 8770
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 3 2019 6:22 PM

PetahChristian:
Have any decisions been made?

I'd like to know this too.

Denise:
better get it right-ish.

That gives some room for interpretation. Wink

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 424
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 3 2019 7:10 PM

David Paul:

The reason I have spoken against production of a Hebrew pronunciation guide is because pronunciations that are demonstrably false have been given legitimacy by people who honestly ought to know better. I already posted screen shots of grammars in Logos that flatly indicate that both the ך and ח have the same pronunciation, which is emphatically false. When it comes to pronunciation of Biblical Hebrew, the inmates often seem to be running the asylum. Buth may have a well-regarded reputation, as may the guy in the above clip, but they DO NOT speak Biblical Hebrew. Let me say that I don't claim to know with 100% certainty and precision what BH sounded like in David's day...but I and a few others know for certain what it didn't sound like in many cases, and many of those false pronunciations seem to inevitably end up in Logos resources. Just leave it alone. It's far better for people to fend for themselves (and do the kind of research that will establish much of what I've said here) than to swallow whole numerous anachronisms without a second of thought...because "published FL authority" says so.

David, you state a number of true things about Early Biblical Hebrew pronunciation(s), including things that Randall Buth himself would actually agree with! I've also said before that a reconstructed Early Biblical Hebrew pronunciation system and audio recording is a worthy goal. Much work has been done, even if there are remaining unknowns, complications, and difficult choices (practically speaking). I just wanted to add that if anyone takes a little time to read Buth, he is personally not unclear about what pronunciation system he is and is not using. He uses an Oriental Israeli Hebrew pronunciation system, which retains some archaic features from First and/or Second Temple periods and is used regularly for reading the Tanakh in Israel today (see link below for some brief descriptions from the horse's own mouth). Actually, you could cite him in support of your argument even though you two come to different conclusions on what pronunciation system to begin with pedagogically speaking, based on different criteria and/or weighing some criteria differently. I was going to say more, but I'll just link to past discussion for those who want to know a little bit more about Buth's understanding, motivations, and choices.

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/151448/927601.aspx#927601 

As for Faithlife's Hebrew Audio Pronunciations product-page, I agree that it would be helpful if it gave some indication of what pronunciation system is used within the product description.

Posts 424
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 3 2019 7:12 PM

Lee:

Sarah Blake LaRose:

There are at least four pronunciation schemes that I have located for Hebrew. Each one is promoted as "correct"...

Most people would be satisfied with one of the major schemes, although many would love to have a natural reading voice (hence the insistence on a native speaker).

God forbid a Klingon accent or, worse, a Texan incantation.

Lee, you said it, not I! I wouldn't want to offend any Klingons ... Yes

Posts 1370
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 3 2019 11:25 PM

Lee:

Sarah Blake LaRose:

If Logos will provide all four, how many of us would buy all of them? Cool

Learning the modern pronunciation would be most useful (in case some of us end up working in Israel) - although I appreciate Buth's views, and also other schemes..

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1370
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 3 2019 11:57 PM

One old suggestion came also into my mind: do it in small increments, according to the incoming funding. Smile

At first, just a few well selected chapters, and all known schemes, so that the production cost will be affordable and the users can test and choose. 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 3593
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 4 2019 1:22 AM

deleted.

Posts 993
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 5 2019 4:18 PM

Lee:

Most people would be satisfied with one of the major schemes ...

I certainly would.

Posts 1370
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 5 2019 11:40 PM

EastTN:

Lee:

Most people would be satisfied with one of the major schemes ...

I certainly would.

I agree.

I calculated that reading the OT in Hebrew would take 150 hours. It is not a lifetime project like writing a book (for some).  

Recording in a studio, marking the page breaks and other audio work will take much longer, but is not beyond possible. Many small translation teams in the jungle are currently doing similar work successfully.

There is no need to wait until everything is recorded and perfected, having one book to start would give enough to do (listening learning, complaining)  for a long time. Geeked

Posts 2971
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 2 2019 1:26 AM

Any news?

Page 5 of 5 (91 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS