Should I Beta 5 or not Beta 5?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3033
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 17 2010 9:42 AM

Is there any advance of me downloading the Beta 5?

mm.

Posts 9075
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:00 AM

Well, not if you could download beta 9 (which is the current beta).

Beta 9 is pretty stable so it could be used as your regular user. I have it under a separate user account on the same computer as my 4.0a SR-3 installation.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:07 AM

Here's the official beta information post that has all you need to know, including disclaimers and warnings:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/8883.aspx

However, as Mark said, the current beta (4.0b beta9) is pretty stable.  However (again), that might also mean that the beta is about to become the official release version soon.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 3033
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:09 AM
  1. Are Beta Versions essentially for those who are 'testing' a product that has yet to be released to the general public? I'm not really interested in doing that. I simply want the latest and most up to date version.
  2. Is there a big difference between the Beta 9 and my current up to date version? (4.0a SR-3).
  3. When you say "pretty stable" should I stick with my current version and just wait for more up grades until most if not all the bugs are fixed?Thanks.

mm.

Posts 3033
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:13 AM

Ok - hold the presses! I just read the above link and the first line scared the heck out of me. I don't mind doing a little gambling, but I'm stickin' with the old 4.0a until the beta-testers have don't there shootin'

Thanks for the eye-opener,

AKA chicken - bock-bock :)

mm.

Posts 2691
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:30 AM

well  it  working like a colt peacemaker for me..  them bugs is fleein pardner...  if you have 2 machines give it  a go..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2695
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 12:45 PM

Milkman:

Ok - hold the presses! I just read the above link and the first line scared the heck out of me. I don't mind doing a little gambling, but I'm stickin' with the old 4.0a until the beta-testers have don't there shootin'

Thanks for the eye-opener,

AKA chicken - bock-bock :)

If you are truly a chicken then I find it amazing you are using any software at all.

That said (probably shouldn't have) the beta is very stable. What you can do is set up a new user account in Windows, install it on that user account and try and see if it is stable enough for you to run it and use it regularly and then update your stable release.

Posts 1
David Cuff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 1:14 PM

I want to install the beta....but I have a couple of question?

Q: If I install the Beta do I have to do anything to get the regular update when it comes? And will it install on top of the beta? Or, do they run seporately?

Posts 9075
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 1:19 PM

It may require an extra step when that happens. Logos sets up to look for a specific type of resource update: regular or beta. So normally if you have the beta set up Logos will just look for updates to the beta not the release version. There is a way to change where the program looks, so if it were not to download the release version automatically, you could execute that command and it would. It isn't a big issue. You won't have to reinstall when the release version appears.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1
David Cuff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 1:21 PM

Thanks....

Posts 59
Tim Deahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 2:17 PM

Why question is related. Since I am using 2 computers, can I install beta on one without it interfering with the other? If so, how will this affect the automatic updates on each machine?

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 2:56 PM

Tim Deahl:

Why question is related. Since I am using 2 computers, can I install beta on one without it interfering with the other? If so, how will this affect the automatic updates on each machine?

There have been some issues with collection syncing between the two computer causing duplicate collections: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/11441/91098.aspx#91098 -- so you might want to wait for beta 10.

Other than that, there aren't any problems downloading the correct resource updates and program updates to each computer.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 45
Jason York | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 3:58 PM

what is the difference between the Beta 9 and 4.0a SR-3? Aren't they both logos 4? Are the new features first put in beta to test before released to the general public? I understand what beta testing is, I just don't understand why there would be two versions of logos 4. 

thanks,

jason

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 4:24 PM

Jason York:
Are the new features first put in beta to test before released to the general public?

You are correct and that is why there are "two" versions.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 59
Tim Deahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 5:18 AM

Thanks.

Posts 81
Daniel R. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 5:39 AM

Mark, I wasn't aware that we can do this. Have you done this? Or has anybody else done this successfully? I always participated in Betas for L3, but not L4 becuase I wasn't sure if the actual studying and personal customizing would transfer over to the final release of the version being tested.

Thanks.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 5:44 AM

Daniel R. Smith:

Mark, I wasn't aware that we can do this. Have you done this? Or has anybody else done this successfully? I always participated in Betas for L3, but not L4 becuase I wasn't sure if the actual studying and personal customizing would transfer over to the final release of the version being tested.

Thanks.

So far I there hasn't been any loss when a beta went to public release (to my knowledge).

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS