Now Available: Mobile Ed: Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew with Logos 6

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 21
Kelsey Harms | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 19 2015 10:18 AM

We are pleased to announce that Mobile Ed: Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew with Logos 6 is now available.

We are extending exclusive discounted pricing for the all new Mobile Ed: Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew with Logos 6 bundle to all previous Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew with Logos Bible Software owners. Please visit the product page or check your email to view your discounted price - no coupon required!

Whether you want to learn Greek and Hebrew for the first time or are simply looking for a refresher, Michael Heiser and Johnny Cisneros are excellent guides. With this tools-based approach, you’ll learn the terminology, tools, and methods needed to interpret words and passages of Scripture—without memorization.

• Focused on exegesis. Rather than having you memorize vocabulary or translate phrases into English, lessons focus on using Greek and Hebrew to interpret the meaning of the text. Learn grammatical terms and concepts, proper methods for doing word studies, and common mistakes to avoid.
  • Equipping you with tools. Video tutorials show you how to use the advanced language tools in Logos 6. You’ll also learn how to use dictionaries and lexicons, reverse interlinears, commentaries, and more.
  • Connected to your library. Each course is transcribed and becomes a searchable Logos resource connected to grammars, reverse interlinears, and other resources in your library. Read along as you watch the lectures and jump to recommended readings with a click.
  • Learning on your schedule. Watch 5–10-minute lectures from your mobile device or computer, whenever your schedule allows. Set your own pace, and then track your progress with quizzes and exams. These courses contain over 20 hours of lectures and demonstrations that will take you all the way from understanding the basics to performing advanced research techniques.
Posts 882
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2015 7:04 PM

I purchased this upgrade/Logos 6 version yesterday. Is there any reason to keep my DVDs of Learn to use Greek... Learn to use Hebrew with Logos Bible Software from 2010(?), or can I delete the files/videos from my computer and free up disk space since/if this new version totally replaces the information in the older ones?

Also, it appears that the videos for these courses are not stored on my computer (as were the previous DVDs) or mobile device, but require an Internet connection to view them. Is that correct?

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 402
LogosEmployee
Miles Custis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2016 9:06 AM

The video files for Mobile Ed courses download as you play them. Once they are downloaded they are stored on your computer and will be available offline. There is an option in the menu of the video resource to "Download all media" if you want them all available without an internet connection. You can also "Delete downloaded media" if you want to free up space on your hard drive:

It's up to you what you do with the previous version of Learn to Use. If you own the latest version, you'll be able to access in the desktop version of Logos, our mobile apps, or on the web at biblia.com if you sign in to your Logos account.

Posts 882
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2016 10:44 AM

Thanks! Can you tell me where on my computer the downloaded media/videos would be stored?

Also, does "Download all media" just download a video file when it's first open or viewed, or does clicking on "Download all media" send all the videos associated with a Mobile Ed course to the computer's hard drive in a single operation?

Never mind, I figured it out and found the WebCache folder. :)

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 1401
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2016 1:21 PM

Eric Weiss:

I purchased this upgrade/Logos 6 version yesterday. Is there any reason to keep my DVDs of Learn to use Greek... Learn to use Hebrew with Logos Bible Software from 2010(?), or can I delete the files/videos from my computer and free up disk space since/if this new version totally replaces the information in the older ones?

Also, it appears that the videos for these courses are not stored on my computer (as were the previous DVDs) or mobile device, but require an Internet connection to view them. Is that correct?

I consider the older version of this course far superior. The content and application was much more robust, and more interesting. Unfortunately, with the morphology changes to English Bibles in Logos 5 and 6, the Hebrew section is somewhat obsolete unless you are willing to use a Hebrew Bible and try to follow along in a parallel English Bible side by side (which is doable, just frustrating!). I wish that Logos would have left one solid English translation tied to the Andersen Forbes morphology! 

I'm holding on to mine. :-) 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 272
Claude Brown Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2016 9:21 AM

Am I unable to view videos while offline?

Posts 10810
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2016 4:56 PM

Claude Brown Jr:

Am I unable to view videos while offline?

You would need to download the videos. This will also speed up loading—somewhat.

Posts 2815
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2016 1:41 AM

Myke Harbuck:
I consider the older version of this course far superior. The content and application was much more robust, and more interesting.

Agreed. I have arrived at the same conclusion as you. I think the older version was far more better.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 10810
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2016 3:17 AM

Ted Hans:

Myke Harbuck:
I consider the older version of this course far superior. The content and application was much more robust, and more interesting.

Agreed. I have arrived at the same conclusion as you. I think the older version was far more better.

Agreed—to a point. The collateral reading is much better and far more interesting. However, the lectures are very basic while the readings are much more advanced. I am about 1/3 way through the course, and the one tool that receives almost all the attentions is the Reverse Interlinear, which is a crippling tool if you want to learn the language rather than play let's pretend. I see the value of the RI in empowering the other tools, but to rely on it for interpretation leaves the student believing he/she knows more than has been taught.

Yes, I agree with George Somsel about the value of interlinears.

BTW: I can only speak to the Hebrew Course as I have not even looked at the Greek.

Posts 272
Claude Brown Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2016 6:27 AM

Thanks for the tip.

Posts 2815
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2016 8:01 AM

Jack Caviness:
Agreed—to a point. The collateral reading is much better and far more interesting.

Jack, thanks for your insight and yes to the collateral reading point.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 10810
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2016 11:28 AM

Ted Hans:

Jack Caviness:
Agreed—to a point. The collateral reading is much better and far more interesting.

Jack, thanks for your insight and yes to the collateral reading point.

To me, the main value of LA151 is in organizing the readings from the Hebrew grammars. I take notes from the transcriptions of the lectures and then investigate the grammars on the same subject. It is slow going, but well worth the additional effort.

One of my grandsons is in Bible College, and he recently complained that the course material was too easy. I told him that the educational benefit of any course of study was directly proportional to the amount of effort he was willing to expend. The same goes for the Learn to Use… courses. There is value there, but the student must be willing to dig for it.

Posts 5523
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2016 1:59 PM

Jack Caviness:
I told him that the educational benefit of any course of study was directly proportional to the amount of effort he was willing to expend. The same goes for the Learn to Use… courses.

I agree Jack your sentiments on you get out of these course what you put into them.

On these courses though I don't believe they are meant to teach you the Greek or Hebrew Language.  I see a separate m.Ed course on Hebrew Grammar is now in the work based I assume on Futato's Grammar.  These particular  courses  - "Learning to Use" should teach you how to make use of the original language tools in the software. If anyone thinks they are truly learning the languages by using these courses they are mistaken.   They do by their nature though introduce a lot of grammar concepts so that you can better use the tools in the software and better read some of the more in depth commentaries. Whether these things are achieved I can't say as I am not at the end of either course. And whether that learning is truly of value without knowing the languages is also another point of debate I am sure.

When the Futato Hebrew Grammar course is available I think this course will be a good supplement to it and for someone wanting to learn the language.  Adding the Van Pelt Lectures also available in Logos will make a cord of three threads to the language learning experience. Alone though I agree this course will not teach you the language.

Posts 90
Garcia | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2016 8:08 AM

On  a Mac, does anyone know where the videos are downloaded? I've had the Mac downloading all media but I have no idea what videos have already been downloaded or where they are. Thanks in advance for the help.

Posts 1118
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2016 10:07 AM

Does it work for you? I get an instant crash if I try to download all media on a video course...

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 272
Claude Brown Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2016 12:15 PM

I have downloaded all media and my computer did not crash. Before the download it would take the video's forever to load from server at Logos. After the download they play in seconds without the wait and sluggishness from before the download to my computer. The files seem to be located in the Logos data folders. The videos are still only accessible within the Logos Program.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2016 4:09 PM

Garcia:
On  a Mac, does anyone know where the videos are downloaded?

What does "Get Info" show for size of your WebCache folder ?

~/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Data/<random>/WebCache

Note: <random> is a random folder name, which has format of ########.## (8 characters dot 3 characters).

Also, your Library ( ~/Library ) is hidden by default on OS X; can use Finder => Go To Folder to open it.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS