Finding what God said about Himself?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 27
Arthur Yeo | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 21 2015 9:09 PM

I want to find where all God directly talked about Himself in the Scriptures (not what others said about God):

• what He desires 
  • what He enjoys
  • what He is displeased with
  • what He abhors
  • etc.

Where is a good place to start In Logos6?

Posts 24727
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2015 1:03 PM

{Speaker <Person God>} is a place to start, but I'm not sure how to restrict the addressee as there is none where God talks about Himself. But do you have a Logos Now subscription to use the {Addressee <Person xxx>} feature?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 27
Arthur Yeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2015 3:30 PM

No, I do not have Logos Now.

{Speaker <Person God>} gave me like 10,000+ hits.

For starters, I guess, may be I can restrict it to the major prophets .

Posts 569
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2015 3:51 PM

Unfortunately we cannot use 'Speaker' in a Clause search. If we could search for: speaker:God subject:God then you had much better results of what God said about himself. You could save the Speaker God results as a passage list and then do a clause search for subject:God on that passage list. But it will include all the "God said" clauses as well, which is a tone of false hits.

Posts 569
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2015 4:27 PM

Thinking about it a bit more, this could be your first step: Bible Search for: <Person God> WITHIN {Speaker <Person God>}

This narrows it down to 3258 verses. Save them as a passage list and then search for subject:God

Posts 27
Arthur Yeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2015 4:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

OK, I saved it as Passage List with all 3258 verses.

Do I do a Ctrl+F to do a local search in the Passage List and type in subject:God in the search box? It came back with zero rows after long search.

Posts 569
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2015 5:59 PM

You need to do a clause search on the passage list. Notice that I narrowed the search even further down by including verb-sense. I chose a broad sense "to feel". You can try other 'kinds' of verbs as well. Also, my hits only cover the OT. If you want hits from the NT you need to change the Bible from LHB to SBLGNT.

Posts 27
Arthur Yeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2015 6:28 PM

Thanks, I think this is good enough to start with. I really appreciate it.

Where can I find all the search tags (like verb, verb-sense, Person, thing, etc.) that are available in Logos? Are these all documented some where?
I tried the Help Menu and it is not very good.

Posts 2057
LogosEmployee

Arthur Yeo:

Thanks, I think this is good enough to start with. I really appreciate it.

Where can I find all the search tags (like verb, verb-sense, Person, thing, etc.) that are available in Logos? Are these all documented some where?
I tried the Help Menu and it is not very good.

The help file lists every one of the fields available in clause search. See the section on Clause Search.

Posts 27
Arthur Yeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2015 8:34 PM

Cool, thanks! I was searching for "verb" and using the wrong Help Menu. 

Now that I am looking at the Logos Help, it is extensive! 

Posts 8858
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2015 8:47 AM

Arthur Yeo:
Now that I am looking at the Logos Help, it is extensive! 

It is and it continues to grow. I actually read the entire thing through this past week.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS