Tablet for Logos?

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 3:48 PM
I highlight a LOT, and the mobile versions of Logos don't work for me--they can't handle the Notes file sizes that I have. The highlighting just doesn't load right and isn't reliable. I know you wanted a cheap solution, but an MS Surface Pro 4 (m3) or MS Surface Book would run the full Logos experience with no compromises. I suggest the m3 only because it doesn't have a fan, and therefore will run quiet during a service--like you are used to with your iPad. It will just take a while on initial index.
Posts 29803
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 4:54 PM

I highlight quite a bit too, but thankfully don't suffer from "large note syndrome." That is certainly something to consider. If a user doesn't suffer from that problem, the mobile app is superior (imo) for reading & highlighting. 

I think we have talked about this before, but are your note documents thematic? Pallete based? Resource specific?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 9:18 PM

It's too bad that Faithlife hasn't made the full PC version of Logos suitable for the tablet environment. Having the full PC version on a small Windows tablet is not ideal, but highlighting with a stylus is still better than on the iOS or Android mobile apps. I do agree with Alabama24 that reading is better on the mobile apps.

Posts 1183
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2015 1:25 AM

I wondered if I had a bad experience at the shop I visited. Perhaps it was just a faulty tablet? I tried going to another shop and none of the windows display tablets were working there either... doesn't instill confidence. I think I'm going to delay until Jan.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2015 1:52 PM

I use Lenovo Yoga 2 10" tablet with Windows 10, SSD 32 GB and 128 GB SD card.

It works flawlessly with all the applications including the MS Office 2016. The only problem is the size of the SSD disk, mainly for Logos. It is not produced with the 64 GB or 128 GB disk and that is a problem. I installed Logos on C drive and use junction function to put Data folder on the SD drive. Also I have to put OneDrive on the virtual disk created on SD card.

Eventually I think am going to replace this tablet with (hopefully) Surface Pro 4 with at least 256 GB to be able to have Logos on the main disk.

Bohuslav

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2015 6:54 PM

Not to cause troubles... but my iPad 3rd gen is working pretty nice I was wondering if you ever considered a fresh install to possible deal with something that might be causing sluggishness.

-Dan

Posts 363
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 8:32 AM

You might see if there is an actual Microsoft store within a reasonable distance from you. General retailers are too often Windows houses of horror, unfortunately.

Posts 104
Duncan Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 10:16 AM

Does anyone know if the m3 processor surface pro 4 would be meaty enough to run logos 6 happily?

I'm looking at Surface Pros myself.

Thanks

Bessings

Duncan

Posts 29803
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 11:23 AM

Duncan Campbell:

Does anyone know if the m3 processor surface pro 4 would be meaty enough to run logos 6 happily?

I'm looking at Surface Pros myself.

Thanks

Bessings

Duncan

a friend swears by it. I'd rather have a laptop 

Posts 1183
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 3:02 PM

Dan Francis:

Not to cause troubles... but my iPad 3rd gen is working pretty nice I was wondering if you ever considered a fresh install to possible deal with something that might be causing sluggishness.

-Dan

That is handy info - are you running the latest ios? I'm tempted to do a reinstall.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 3:32 PM

Yes I am running the latest version of iOS 9.

-Dan

Posts 104
Duncan Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2015 10:23 AM

Alabama, is that the one with the m3 processor that they find works well?

Posts 29803
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2015 10:45 AM

Duncan Campbell:

Alabama, is that the one with the m3 processor that they find works well?

sorry, don't know anything about Windows devices. Either create a new thread or do a google search of the forums using site:community.logos.com 

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2015 5:16 PM

Alabama: Many of my highlights were done before the new "by-resource" convention, which I have now started using (vs "by palette).  I wish that Logos made a tool where I could migrate my old palette highlights out into Resource or Theme Notes files.  With rare exception, I haven't created themed Highlights files...although doing so would make it possible to share them via Faithlife.  While I love highlighting, my use of this feature has become an impediment to using Logos--at all on mobile devices and for quick reference on PCs (it takes a minute or two for my highlights to "snap in"), which can be quite a delay when you are needing to zip around fast.

Posts 1452
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2015 5:55 PM

Ward Walker:

Alabama: Many of my highlights were done before the new "by-resource" convention, which I have now started using (vs "by palette).  I wish that Logos made a tool where I could migrate my old palette highlights out into Resource or Theme Notes files.  

I second that motion. I have tons of highlights I made when I had no highlighting strategy and now wish they could be easily moved into various new documents easily and in bulk. Sure wish Logos would reinvent notes and highlighting. This is a very, very weak area for such wonderful software. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 29803
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2015 8:06 PM

Ward Walker:
I wish that Logos made a tool where I could migrate my old palette highlights out into Resource or Theme Notes files.

Yes

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2015 3:04 AM

Hello

Happy HOLYdays.

I continue to use my "hot-brick", The Original Surface Pro, with a small noisy desk fan blowing on it all the time, and wish I could get a smaller, less heavy, not overly expensive replacement.  I use an Android Tablet (Galaxy S and not the inferior lower resolution S2 either!) for reading but miss the full better functionality Windows 10 provides.

What a shame the Surface Pro options (I have a huge library folks) are not lower priced and available for all.  I do not think anything less than an I5 would work for a Windows machine but I keep getting intrigued by the Dell Venue 8 pro. (64 GB version) notes I keep reading for a scaled down Windows only mobile approach - but it seems labor intensive to get it right - and I like automatically indexing that doesn't take hours or days too.

Guess I am stuck with my Surface Pro.  I cannot afford to upgrade and I will not switch to IOS (the dreaded Apple) at any price.

Blessings one and all....and happy LOGOS-ing.

Joshua in RI

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2015 7:30 PM

Hi, Josh.

I continue to use and "love" my Venue 8 pro. So much so that when I ran across a spectacular deal on a Venue 11 pro, I added it to the stable as well. It has a 128GB drive, 4GB ram, and a scaled down i5 processor. While it may be slightly faster, I still  find myself preferring the 8 pro for small groups.

If the larger footprint is something you can live with, They are reasonably priced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Venue-11-Pro-4th-Gen-i5-4300Y-1-6GHz-128GB-10-8-Win-8-1-Pro-Wi-Fi-Tablet-/161869362423?hash=item25b02a74f7:g:5rYAAOSw5ZBWLPH5 

Posts 2068
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2015 7:44 PM

John Goodman:

I wondered if I had a bad experience at the shop I visited. Perhaps it was just a faulty tablet? I tried going to another shop and none of the windows display tablets were working there either... doesn't instill confidence. I think I'm going to delay until Jan.

If you're used to Apple's touch screens, you'll be forever frustrated with any other touch/jab/punch screen tech!

Posts 180
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2015 7:48 PM

And if one is accustomed to a full desktop experience on a tablet, No rotten apple will ever do ! Wink

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS