Restrictions on use of visual copy?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 218
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 24 2015 10:52 AM

Can't seem to find any previous mention of this. Can someone direct me (if it exists) to any official  instructions related to the acceptable uses of visual copy?

Obviously by design it allows inclusion into PPT or Proclaim for the use in presentations and this is done without visible attribution. But what about scenarios such as:

- church website / social feeds

- video presentations (whether just a video of a Sunday sermon or maybe as part of a teaching materials being sold)

- physical promotional or study support items (a flyer for instance, or printed notes)

Does it make any difference if items are provided gratis or are being sold? (standard copyright makes no distinction)

Happy to provide suitable attribution in the same way most Bible translations allow for a certain level of fair usage with correct attribution.

FYI, I have also emailed this directly to Faithlife and will upload the response because I suspect I'm not the only one that will be interested.

A song I wrote and recorded : He Who Sits Upon The Throne

Posts 27112
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 11:25 AM

I think the real question is "what do you mean by 'visual copy." 

Here are the issues (as I see them):

• FL includes "verse of the day" art. Bob has already addressed the issue to some extent. Maybe I can find that post. Short answer: you might need to contact FL if you want to use them for anything other than personal use. 
  • If you are using text YOU created, using a visual copy slide, I think you would have nearly free reign to use it. Likewise if the text is in public domain.
  • If the text in the slide is copyrighted material, you would need to contact the copyright holder under some conditions. This would be similar to "fair use" laws.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2762
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 11:26 AM

This was all detailed out in a previous thread, but for the life of me I can't find the link.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 956
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 11:56 AM

Bob said something here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/96709/666649.aspx#666649. Not sure if this is what alabama24 is referring to.

Posts 27112
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 12:18 PM

Yasmin Stephen:
Not sure if this is what alabama24 is referring to.

Yep, thanks. Smile

That is in reference to FL media, which I assume would include things like "verse of the day" art. I don't think it would include visual copy slides, with text you created. If the text comes from a published book, copyright laws would apply for the quote. 

Posts 218
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 2:02 PM

Thanks for that thread link. While it did provide some insight it is not wholly conclusive. It was focused on the use of Faithlife graphics in a blog post. I thought Bob's reply was reasonable and  I note that more comprehensive instructions were promised but that was more than 6 months ago.

The quotes taken from other publications is the easiest to handle as has already been discuss in this thread, likewise any original material I happen to write. But that still doesn't deal with the background graphic (this is a separate "work") - should I assume (not normally a good idea) that much like other clipart type services that I can use it in derivative works without additional permission or attribution as long as I'm not simply distributing the work itself without any additional content? 

The verse of the day thing is a little bit of minefield in that if I start to use visual copy of a particular passage (for instance 2 Timothy 3:16-17  ) then the verse of the day graphics is presented as one of the options to export to PPT or Proclaim so that suggests an invitation to use it beyond just personal enjoyment.

Any other previous threads I've missed as I've been searching?

Posts 27112
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 2:23 PM

Jeremy White:
The verse of the day thing is a little bit of minefield in that if I start to use visual copy of a particular passage (for instance 2 Timothy 3:16-17  ) then the verse of the day graphics is presented as one of the options to export to PPT or Proclaim so that suggests an invitation to use it beyond just personal enjoyment.

Bob's comments themselves suggest as much:

Bob Pritchett:
For now, we're definitely okay with you using our material in teaching, preaching and presentations. We aren't okay with you 're-publishing it' without permission, or re-selling it.

Jeremy White:
But that still doesn't deal with the background graphic (this is a separate "work") - should I assume (not normally a good idea) that much like other clipart type services that I can use it in derivative works without additional permission or attribution as long as I'm not simply distributing the work itself without any additional content? 

I would assume so, yes.

Posts 13127
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 3:18 PM

Bob's post was followed up by this official policy: https://www.logos.com/copyright-permissions. It answers all your questions.

Posts 2762
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 3:32 PM

Mark Barnes:
It answers all your questions.

That's why MVPs are MVPs. They can find stuff.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 27112
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 3:34 PM

Doc B:

Mark Barnes:
It answers all your questions.

That's why MVPs are MVPs. They can find stuff.

sheesh. Not always! When did that get posted Mark? 

Posts 218
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 4:37 PM

Thanks Mark.

Posts 13127
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2015 2:05 AM

alabama24:
sheesh. Not always! When did that get posted Mark? 

I'm not sure. Despite Doc B's praise, I can't find an announcement post.

But it was definitely written after 28 August, and it was first indexed in Google on 17 September.

Posts 27112
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2015 4:51 AM

Thanks. Sometimes FL doesn't do themselves any favors. That was obviously a lot of work for someone (or someones), and it was desired info for a number of people. At the very least, someone should have followed up on the thread Bob had posted in. 

Posts 8801
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2015 5:57 AM

alabama24:

Thanks. Sometimes FL doesn't do themselves any favors. That was obviously a lot of work for someone (or someones), and it was desired info for a number of people. At the very least, someone should have followed up on the thread Bob had posted in. 

Agreed.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 790
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 3:22 PM

I wrote the bulk of it. That was the easy part. The hardest part was getting a legal sign-off and then getting it actually posted to the website. I don't know who announced it or where.

I would have followed up in all the threads myself, but I don't know where they all are. All the ones I could find easily already have the link. So ... anyone who sees this question pop up from now on, please link to https://www.logos.com/copyright-permissions. Thanks!

I added a link to the Visual Copy article in the help file, which will get published eventually. (The gears grind but slowly.)

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS