Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 25 2015 4:56 PM

This is great !! Thanks Faithlife...

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2015 5:03 PM

Not bad...not bad at all.

I can now find Moses "talking" in NT by 1 mouse-click & without knowing the search rules... 

We need more simplicity like this

Posts 8948
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2015 5:25 PM

This is excellent. Looking forward to using it.

I just noticed that we now have 30 interactive resources. Thanks Faithlife!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1107
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2015 5:31 PM

Nice. I assume this shot is from the beta?

Posts 8948
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2015 5:46 PM

Sean:

This is from Logos Now.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1107
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2015 5:59 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Sean:

This is from Logos Now.

Yeah. I didn't see an update to the sticky, but the update just came through. This is going to be very very useful.

Logos Now just keeps getting better.

Posts 8948
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2015 6:03 PM

Sean:
I didn't see an update to the sticky

Mine didn't appear this way at first either.

Sean:
This is going to be very very useful.

Yes it is. I love it!

Sean:
Logos Now just keeps getting better.

It sure does! Yes

Posts 1564
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2015 6:37 PM

This is AWESOME!

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2015 7:36 PM

Mine just updated to include this as well. Is this a delayed feature of 6.7 being rolled out late, or something coming early as part of 6.8? In addition, does anyone know the data source for this interactive resource?

Posts 110
Tanner Thetford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2015 7:54 PM

This is a fantastic interactive. In fact all of the interactives have really boosted my sermon prep. I find myself browsing them all and asking "which of my sermon prep layouts can benefit from this?" 

A+

Posts 1394
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2015 9:44 PM

JH:
the data source for this interactive

From the included documentation...

Included Data

This interactive resource contains a table of information selectable by facet. The available information includes:

• New Testament Reference: Reference in the New Testament.
  • Source Reference: Reference in the Old Testament writings or Deuterocanon.
  • Relationship: The relationship between the New Testament Reference and the Source Reference. There are four relationships that are used: Citation, Quotation, Allusion, and Echo. These terms are understood as:
    • Citation: An explicit reference to scripture with a citation formula (e.g. “It is written,” or “the Lord says,” or “the prophet says”).
    • Quotation: A direct reference to scripture, largely matching the verbatim wording of the source but without a quotation formula
    • Allusion: An indirect but intentional reference to scripture, likely intended to invoke memory of the scripture.
    • Echo: A verbal parallel evokes or recalls a scripture (or series of scriptures) to the reader, but likely without authorial intention to reproduce exact words.
  • New Testament People, Places, and Things: These are people, places, or things implicitly or explicitly associated with the New Testament Reference.
  • New Testament Speakers: If the New Testament Reference contains reported speech, the speakers are listed here. This allows distinguishing the party or parties responsible for speaking from those that happen to be active in the reference.
  • New Testament Addressees: If the New Testament Reference contains reported speech, the addressees are listed here. This allows distinguishing the party or parties the reported speech is directed to from those that happen to be active in the reference.
  • New Testament Themes: These are themes or topics that are associated with the New Testament Reference.
  • New Testament Literary Types: These are literary types that are associated with the New Testament Reference.
  • Source People, Places, and Things: These are people, places, or things implicitly or explicitly associated with the Source Reference.
  • Source Speakers: If the Source Reference contains reported speech, the speakers are listed here. This allows distinguishing the party or parties responsible for speaking from those that happen to be active in the reference.
  • Source Addressees: If the Source Reference contains reported speech, the addressees are listed here. This allows distinguishing the party or parties the reported speech is directed to from those that happen to be active in the reference.
  • Source Themes: These are themes or topics that are associated with the Source Reference.
  • Source Literary Types: These are literary types that are associated with the Source Reference.

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 21928
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 12:37 AM

It does look really, really niceBig Smile

Posts 26532
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 12:45 AM

It is VERY nice ... but I already want one more facet - whether it follows the Masoretic or the LXX when they diverge.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 21928
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 1:03 AM

MJ. Smith:
but I already want one more facet - whether it follows the Masoretic or the LXX when they diverge.

Great suggestionYes

Posts 1289
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 7:48 AM

Hi JH.

JH:
Is this a delayed feature of 6.7 being rolled out late, or something coming early as part of 6.8?

We've been working on this for awhile. It is technically a part of the 6.8 beta.

JH:
In addition, does anyone know the data source for this interactive resource?

We used Jones' OT Quotations and Allusions resource plus some data from Jeff Jackson to arrive at the set of references and parallels. The classifications (Citation, Quotation, Allusion, Echo) use the same definitions as the Ancient Literature dataset. I classified the reference relationships over the course of a Logos Hackathon last spring.

The "About" button in the interactive toolbar has more information about the dataset. 

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1289
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 7:59 AM

Did anyone notice this section of the "About" page?

Searching for Intertextual References

Some configurations of Logos Bible Software may include the ability to search for intertextual usage documented by this interactive. Searching for Source (references labeled as Source Reference in this interactive) and Target (references labeled asNew Testament Reference in this interactive) and associating a Relationship are all supported.

Perhaps in your use of this interactive you noticed that Matthew references material from Isaiah, and wanted to know more about allusions between Matthew and Isaiah. This information is available in the interactive, but you can also search Logos Bible Software for the same sort of information:

{Label Intertext WHERE Source ~ <Isaiah> AND Relationship = "Allusion"} | English Standard Version, All Passages

The above search uses Source to locate where passages found in the New Testament are classified as allusions to material from Isaiah. If using the Bible Search menu, you could set the search range to Matthew and then find material only in Matthew. Alternately, if one wanted to locate references in the Old Testament that are used as allusions in Hebrews:

{Label Intertext WHERE Target ~ <Hebrews> AND Relationship = "Allusion"} | English Standard Version, All Passages

In this example, Target is used to locate references in the Old Testament that are used as allusions in the book of Hebrews.

Have you tried it? Have you tried making visual filters for the information?

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 21928
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 8:51 AM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
{Label Intertext WHERE Target ~ <Hebrews> AND Relationship = "Allusion"} | English Standard Version, All Passages

In the Interactive, the word "Target" is incorrectly shown as "Source" although it is coded correctly

Have you tried it? Have you tried making visual filters for the information?

I've tried using it but I get no results back

Posts 249
LogosEmployee
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 8:55 AM

I don't believe that dataset that fuels this has been released yet. I haven't noticed it in my updates.

Posts 1289
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 1:59 PM

Hi Graham.

Graham Criddle:
In the Interactive, the word "Target" is incorrectly shown as "Source" although it is coded correctly

Yes, I'd already reported this; should be clarified with the next release.

Graham Criddle:
I've tried using it but I get no results back

The dataset was supposed to ship with the interactive, apparently that didn't happen. I'll work on getting that shipped when I'm back in the office on Monday.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 21928
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 2:30 PM

The dataset was supposed to ship with the interactive, apparently that didn't happen. I'll work on getting that shipped when I'm back in the office on Monday.

Thanks Rick

I'm planning a sermon series in Deuteronomy next quarter and it will be fascinating to see what insights this tool can provide - and being able to do that via a visual filter would be great.

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS