Sermons not showing up in "Sermons" section of Passage Guide

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 78
Aaron W | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 30 2015 4:46 AM

I've been a little frustrated the last few weeks, as it seems that the Passage Guide isn't pulling all the sermons properly.  I'll use next week's passage as an example.

I do a passage guide for Luke 3:7-18.

Normally I'll have several sermons come up, but for some reason, the last few weeks NOTHING has come up.

So, just out of curiosity, I got to my Tim Keller Sermon Archive, search by reference, and lo-and-behold, there is a sermon on Luke 3:3-20, covering the entire passage I am studying.  It used to pick up overlapping passages, which was VERY helpful to see how others are tying these passages together.  It makes me wonder how many other references Logos isn't picking up.

Suddenly, I'm feeling like the work I think the program is doing is very incomplete.

Any suggestions?  Maybe it's a change in the program that I missed?

I'd appreciate any help with this!

Posts 2197
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 5:02 AM

Hi Aaron,

I actually create a collections of sermons and then edit the passage guide to include that collection. A video showing how to create a custom guide can be seen here. Below is the difference in hits between Logos Sermon section and my collection.

I do this with Journals as well. I believe that Logos intends for their sections to be more specific, but is still a work in progress. Hope this work around helps.

Posts 78
Aaron W | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 5:23 AM

Thanks, John.

I'll have to take a look at that when I get a little more time.  I was just hoping that there might be something that I missed.  I don't have a ton of sermon "collections" or whatever it is (and I really don't have time to figure out what all, in my library, would fit into that category, right now).

My problem is that it WAS working (apparently) properly, but now it is most definitely NOT.  I paid a lot of money for Logos to do this automatically.  I just wish it was working the way it was working and now my time is going to be wasted figuring out what is wrong and how to most quickly get at my sermons.

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 6:01 AM

Aaron Wetzel:
My problem is that it WAS working (apparently) properly, but now it is most definitely NOT

It should work as you hope.

I don't have that resource but - as you can see - I do get matches for sermons where the sermon passage intersects with the one in the PG

A similar sounding issue was reported at https://community.logos.com/forums/t/115283.aspx where executing the command "rebuild index" in the command box fixed it. I would give that a go. Please let us know how you get on

Posts 78
Aaron W | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2015 4:13 AM

Thanks. I tried reindexing and it did not work.  I do wonder if there is something wrong with my index or something.  It took a LONG time, but still didn't work.

I don't understand what people mean by collections and tagging resources (from the other thread as well). I just want it to work like it used to.

I'll try one or two of the suggestions in the other thread and see if that might help, too.  I really appreciate the help!

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2015 4:19 AM

Aaron Wetzel:
I don't understand what people mean by collections and tagging resources (from the other thread as well)

Tagging resources is a way of grouping resources together in your library around themes, topics or other criteria

Collections are groups of books (often grouped by tags) that you can use for searching or to add as a section to your Guide.

So the idea suggested here is that you have a collection of sermon resources, include that collection in your Guide and it should be returned. However, for some technical reasons, the Sermon section provides more focused results so long as the sermons themselves have been appropriately tagged (this particular tagging is something Faithlife does)

Aaron Wetzel:
I just want it to work like it used to.

I fully understand that and, as far as I can see, it should.

Hopefully someone else who has the resource will be able to check and see if it is working for them

Posts 78
Aaron W | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2015 4:35 AM

Thanks for the clarification. It would be an amazing amount of work to actually go through all 4000+ of my resources, though. I can't imagine finding the time to chip away at that much work! It seems like that should be a part of the system in the first place.

I've just deleted my index (was told in the past to try that) and then just let it rebuild.  It should be done in a few hours and then I'll see if someone has any other suggestions. 

So frustrating.

Posts 21868
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2015 4:46 AM

Aaron Wetzel:
It would be an amazing amount of work to actually go through all 4000+ of my resources, though. I can't imagine finding the time to chip away at that much work! It seems like that should be a part of the system in the first place.

It is a lot of work - I did it some time ago for my library but changed the way I manage resources and don't keep it updated.

There are many others on the forums who have done the same thing.

There is a lot of tagging already done by Faithlife - sermon resources are tagged with the subject "Sermons", commentaries have subject fields which show what book(s) they refer to, series are defined for linking resources together, etc.

But some tagging needs to be done by individuals to match their interests and priorities. I tagged some resources to be on my virtual "Christian Living Shelf" while others may have wanted them marked as Devotionals. So having the capability to do one's own tagging is very helpful.

However, as above, I would expect what you are trying to do here should work without having to do any additional tagging or collection creation.

Posts 78
Aaron W | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2015 4:50 AM

Yes, it should work. It DID work. And now it doesn't. I just don't understand how it broke itself in the last couple months.

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2015 5:15 AM

Aaron Wetzel:
Yes, it should work. It DID work. And now it doesn't. I just don't understand how it broke itself in the last couple months.

Is it just a problem with this passage? I ran a PG for Luke 3:7-18, and none of Keller's sermons displayed. I can see that he did preach on "Preparing the Way" for that passage, so it should have shown up.

So I checked up on the sermon. Unfortunately, when Logos have tagged that sermon, they've missed the reference to Luke 3:3-20, which is why it didn't display. You should report it as a typo, and hopefully one day they'll be able to fix it (I've done that for you, too).

All this means that I don't think there's anything you should do differently. It's just unfortunate that this one slipped through the next when Logos added the sermon tagging.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS