500 Book Mega Pack for $500

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 35 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 4 2015 5:13 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/55680/500-book-mega-pack-2015-edition

It's mostly public domain stuff, but it's worth checking out. Just looking at what's 'new to me', I see:

• The James Orr Collection (21 vols.)
  • John Williamson Nevin Collection (13 vols.)
  • John William Colenso Pentateuch Collection (17 vols.)
  • William Burt Pope Collection (5 vols.)
  • Austen Henry Layard Collection (10 vols.)
  • The Life and Works of Horatius Bonar (47 vols.)
  • The Works of W. D. Conybeare (3 vols.)
  • William Cowper Collection (6 vols.)
  • Alexander Souter Studies in Early Christianity Collection (7 vols.)
  • Harry Angus Alexander Kennedy Collection (6 vols.)
  • William Henry Simcox Collection (3 vols.)
  • The Evangelical Succession Lecture Series (3 vols.)
  • The Historical Bible (6 vols.)
  • The Messages of the Bible (11 vols.)

Orr, Cowper and Bonar were on my wishlist, and for me the pack is quite a bit cheaper than Bonar by himself.

Posts 8948
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 5:35 AM

Thanks for pointing this out. I had not seen it yet. Now it's time to go review the "new to me" list.

Mark Barnes:
for me the pack is quite a bit cheaper than Bonar by himself.

The same thing goes for me. Bonar is also on my wish list.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 6:33 AM

Mark Barnes:
It's mostly public domain stuff, but it's worth checking out. Just looking at what's 'new to me', I see:

I'm seeing a few as well, but I'm hesitant to lay out the cash.  I do wish they linked directly to all of the included collections so I could convince myself. Wink

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2332
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 6:42 AM

Logos did this in 2013 too.   Is this mega pack as good as the one offered then? 

Posts 30
Todd Hinton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 6:43 AM

I appreciate their effor but these public domain titles just do not compare to the Library Builders from a few years ago.  Seems like most of the offerings now lack creativity and value.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 6:54 AM

Ronald Quick:

Logos did this in 2013 too.   Is this mega pack as good as the one offered then? 

Pretty similar, really. Although it's public domain, a good proportion of it is 16th and 17th century, which (in my opinion at least) produced much better biblical and theological scholarship than the 19th century public domain stuff.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 6:56 AM

Todd Hinton:
I appreciate their effor but these public domain titles just do not compare to the Library Builders from a few years ago.

The library builders are still being produced. For example, the Wesleyan and Methodist Library builder has just come out today. But they're different from the mega packs. The mega packs are put together for a very limited period whereas the library builders are more long term.

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 7:34 AM

It is a package well worth purchasing.  A bit dated, of course,  but it is quality old stuff, much of it aged well like fine wine. 

Alas, this makes two such offers I would have seriously considered before the changes in payment plans, but not now.  Which probably means Logos saved me some money (needed for those nine grandchildren's Christmas toys) and kept their cash flow healthy. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 226
Michael A. Lasley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 8:36 AM

I purchased this at the dynamic price. After purchase, the product indicates a many times higher price and is not greyed out. There is some problem here. I do have an entry in my orders file for the purchase.

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 8:39 AM

Bloomsbury Bundle > 500 Mega Pack.

$3 books > $1 books.

For me, 500 Mega Pack is filled with unwanted/unpopular community pricing books. And although somewhat it can be said the same for Bloomsbury Bundle (the unpopular part), Bloomsbury is much more valuable.

I got few complaints for Logos:

1. Why can't Logos tell us on the page how many new books are for us? I'm tired counting manually all the time, especially this many books.
  2. Please hyperlink the books under "new to me" not the ones on the very bottom.
  3. Please tell us the name of  bundles of those individuals are coming from..say example.. The Mystical Presence: A Vindication of the Reformed or Calvinistic Doctrine of the Holy Eucharist AND Vindication of the Revised Liturgy are in John Williamson Nevin Collection (13 vols.). Kinda like what Mark Barnes did on the top of this page.
Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 8:52 AM

Michael A. Lasley:

I purchased this at the dynamic price. After purchase, the product indicates a many times higher price and is not greyed out. There is some problem here. I do have an entry in my orders file for the purchase.

Same here. After buying it the price went up almost 17 times the original. Bonar is not grayed out. No downloads.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 8:55 AM

mike:
Why can't Logos tell us on the page how many new books are for us? I'm tired counting manually all the time, especially this many books.

Agreed. As a workaround, paste the list into Excel, and look at the number of the last cell in the table.

mike:
Please hyperlink the books under "new to me" not the ones on the very bottom.

If you hover, you can click on the title of the hover card (although it's quite slow to do that for many volumes).

mike:
Please tell us the name of  bundles of those individuals are coming from..say example.

Agree 100%. For these big bundles, it would be much nicer if they were grouped together. It's really quite annoying when you're trying to evaluate a few hundred volumes only to discover they're all in the same eight or nine collections.

Posts 263
LogosEmployee
Celeste Fiorillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 9:19 AM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Our unlocking systems are catching up with all the orders we've had this morning. We should be caught up soon, at which point you will see your new resources in your library and the PDP will reflect your ownership. Thanks for your patience!

Robert Harner:

Michael A. Lasley:

Same here. After buying it the price went up almost 17 times the original. Bonar is not grayed out. No downloads.

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 10:40 AM

Mark Barnes:

mike:
Why can't Logos tell us on the page how many new books are for us? I'm tired counting manually all the time, especially this many books.

Agreed. As a workaround, paste the list into Excel, and look at the number of the last cell in the table.

mike:
Please hyperlink the books under "new to me" not the ones on the very bottom.

If you hover, you can click on the title of the hover card (although it's quite slow to do that for many volumes).

mike:
Please tell us the name of  bundles of those individuals are coming from..say example.

Agree 100%. For these big bundles, it would be much nicer if they were grouped together. It's really quite annoying when you're trying to evaluate a few hundred volumes only to discover they're all in the same eight or nine collections.

1. Yes, but still, Logos needs to make things easier to purchase not complicate it.
  2. Yes, I think we knew that, but wouldn't it be nicer if we don't have those pop-outs. They're really annoying, really.
  3. Thanks for grouping them

Logos' web person needs to see these & do something. Two or three times are cute, but when its the holiday season with plenty of sales... NOT cute all all.

Posts 3054
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 10:52 AM

A comprehensive list of included collections would be a great addition to this product page.

Posts 5025
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 2:49 PM

SineNomine:

A comprehensive list of included collections would be a great addition to this product page.

I agree with all the suggestions for improvement here in the way Logos presents these bundles but at the same time am thankful for the improvements they have made, it wasn't that long ago we didn't have the New to You presentation on this pages and we had to email customer support and wait for someone to respond to us with a list.  So thanks to the team putting these pages together for the improvements so far and I look forward to seeing continued improvement in the future.

As to the old complaint about these bundles being lots of PD stuff, we all know that PD titles are what these bundles are all about. So if your not into what has been written in the past that's fine - pass over these bundles, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, others will scourer these resources for hidden gems and sometimes find nuggets of wisdom.  Some people like to read these gems and nuggets within the wider context of what the original author was saying rather than simply as standalone quotes by a a modern author.  Logos is a business, they have to fund their ongoing success and if selling PD titles to those who are interested in them is one of the ways they can do this, if there are customers interested in these bundles then they should continue to offer them.

Posts 2332
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 2:57 PM

I personally think it's great that Logos is producing public domain resources.  Even though I can find them online, many times the text and format is so cumbersome that I don't bother working with it.  When it's in Logos, it's much more usable to me.

Posts 2253
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 4:53 PM

I've a chunk of what's in it, not sure just how many titles I'd use if I went for it.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1577
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 6:22 PM

This is a very good deal. I only wish that I could buy it, but right now, financially I am not able to.

Posts 2332
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2015 7:05 PM

I'd like to get it too, but don't think I can do it this year.

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS