Indexer crashing undendingly, unceasingly and regularly...

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 46
Peter Bongers | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:57 PM

2158.Logos4Indexer.log

Wow, guys, this is getting frustrating.

And to answer as many questions as I can anticipate, NO I haven't changed or added any other software or hardware, YES I have tried every reasonable suggestion suggested in this forum posted within the last month, and YES I am getting extremely frustrated!!

Logs attached.

37614.Logos4.log

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 7:04 PM

Your indexer log errors are very similar to Bruce's here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/11982.aspx  (it's one of the later posts)

I've guessed and had him delete his index folder and his metadata.db. I don't know if it will work. You might want to wait to see what happens with his attempt first.

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 7:10 PM

While this probably won't help you since you say you have tried about every reasonable suggestion, I thought I would add it just in case it could help someone else.  I was having problems with the Merge Index command crashing on both my laptop and my PC.  I tried the Rebuild Index command from a post I read on here and it worked on my laptop and seems to be working on my PC so far...  I hope you get it worked out.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 46
Peter Bongers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 7:14 PM

Kevin, thanks for the advice, but think I'll wait to see what happens in Bruce's case.

Tom, your suggestion falls squarely into the "been there, done that" category. Twice.

Any Logos techies want to weigh in??

Posts 2200
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 7:39 PM

If you have not tried deleting the files in the index folder and starting again, I would recommend this.  It worked for me. 

Posts 6
Daniel C. Hood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 10:00 PM

i am having same problem ... did this work ... where are the index folder and the metadata.db folder ... thanks for any help....

Posts 60
Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 10:28 PM

Daniel: check out this discussion: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/11982.aspx. I am still indexing, but will let you know if it works on that string.

Posts 46
Peter Bongers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 10:10 AM

Well boys and girls, this did the trick. I renamed the old LibraryIndex folder and created a new one, then restarted Logos 4 before I went to bed. I was just able to log on and check out what happened a few moments ago, and it would appear that L4 rebuilt the index overnight, finishing at 8:06 AM this morning.

But seriously, this can't keep happening!! This is NOT a good thing when we have to start rooting around renaming things, deleting things, and sending in logs every update to get this program to work the way it should.  Sorry if I sound a bit cranky, but this Logos 4 mess on top of a computer crash on another system earlier in the week doesn't exactly have me feeling all warm-and-toasty towards technology right now.

At any rate, thanks Mark for the tip. One top-grade, gold-plated, Canada Grade "A" attaboy is winging it's way to you right now!

Posts 27049
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 6:12 AM

We all share your frustration and you should know that Logos are working hard with 4.0b to overcome the issues.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 804
Bill Fiess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 6:29 AM

Pete,

You could say that this problem is driving you Bongers!

P.S.  I am having the same problem.

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 8:07 AM

Peter Bongers:
But seriously, this can't keep happening!! This is NOT a good thing when we have to start rooting around renaming things, deleting things, and sending in logs every update to get this program to work the way it should.  Sorry if I sound a bit cranky, but this Logos 4 mess on top of a computer crash on another system earlier in the week doesn't exactly have me feeling all warm-and-toasty towards technology right now.

I feel your pain, because I had my Logos 4 crashing at the Home Page every time I opened it, since the last update. However, I actually see these work arounds as evidence for the robust nature of the program. I was able to circumnavigate the entire problem simply by opening with [ctrl] and a blank page. While I was figuring out what the issue was, I could at least still use the program (everything else was working fine, just not the Home Page).

I also think that the modular design of Logos 4 is a major advantage in such situations. Sure the index corrupting is going to cause headaches, but hey you can just delete it and watch it rebuild, then you're good. I see this as evidence of good programming.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 804
Bill Fiess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 8:43 AM

Thanks, Jonathan.

I'll at least try your method of opening it up with CNTRL until a fix is determined for this problem.

Posts 46
Peter Bongers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 1:54 PM

JonathanBurke:

I feel your pain, because I had my Logos 4 crashing at the Home Page every time I opened it, since the last update. However, I actually see these work arounds as evidence for the robust nature of the program. I was able to circumnavigate the entire problem simply by opening with [ctrl] and a blank page. While I was figuring out what the issue was, I could at least still use the program (everything else was working fine, just not the Home Page).

I also think that the modular design of Logos 4 is a major advantage in such situations. Sure the index corrupting is going to cause headaches, but hey you can just delete it and watch it rebuild, then you're good. I see this as evidence of good programming.

So... you'd be one of them-there optimists, eh??  I've read about your type!! Zealots, every one of ya!! Wink

Thanks to all who suggested, commiserated, or taunted.  While I am still 'bongers' over the whole thing, the sun is shining, I don't have to preach next Sunday, Logos 4 is working (and indexed) and......

Canada will beat the USA tonight in Olympic hockey.

Yay!!Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS