Dear Logos, can you fix the copy bible verse?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 31
Wes Walker | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 19 2010 11:49 AM

I posted this same problem many months ago, and nothing has changed. This is clearly a broken piece of code in your software, and it is adversely affecting your users. Can you please fix it. When I try to edit the preformated CBV, I go to your help page, and copy paste directly into the code the exact form it is supposed to be:

[FullBookName]

And when I try to use this function, instead of writing "John" it writes

"[FullBookName]"

This means your code is broken. It does not recognize your parameters. Can you please fix it. This is only one of several reasons why I still cannot use L4, but fixing this one problem may at least give me hope that you are actually reading these forums and desire to help your customers out when your code is in fact wrong.

I would also strongly recomend make the CBV more user friendly, for those who don't understand using actual code to format. But if you insist on using this difficult format, at least make it work so that after an hour of trying to figure out how to code in the correct format, it will actually work.

Thanks

Posts 3701
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 1:20 PM

Confirmed on 4.0b Beta 11, also.

In addition, [ShortBookName] does not appear to be working.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 1:35 PM

BillS:

Confirmed on 4.0b Beta 11, also.

CBV seems to be an issue a lot of us are anxiously awaiting... the real test will be does it do minimally what L3 is capable of doing. I'd love more capability but the benchmark has got to be at least L3's functionality.

4.0b shouldn't "leave home without it...."  Cool

Posts 3701
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 1:40 PM

Hi James,

For me, it's "L3--don't leave home without it..." whenever it comes to CBV and/or SmartTags, I'm still using L3. They're still the main reasons I work with both L4 & L3...

Blessings!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 31
Wes Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 8:37 AM

So can anyone give a rational answer as to why they would not at least fix the broken code that copies [fullbookname] instead of John? That seems like an easy fix, and an unaceptable error for a high level piece of software like this. I have sent this in to the support people and no one has helped in over 2 months. Does anyone else see that as a big problem?

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:04 AM

tetelestai33ad@yahoo.com:

So can anyone give a rational answer as to why they would not at least fix the broken code that copies [fullbookname] instead of John? That seems like an easy fix, and an unaceptable error for a high level piece of software like this. I have sent this in to the support people and no one has helped in over 2 months. Does anyone else see that as a big problem?

Perhaps it is designed that way. It works for me in the =ForEachVerse section, but not the =Header sectionMaybe a feature request is what you want.

[FullBookName], [ShortBookName], [ChapterNum], [VerseNum], [FullVerseRef], [ShortVerseRef] and [VerseText] don't work in the =Header section, but they all work correctly in the =ForEachVerse section.  I bet they were made available so that you could format the verse-by-verse references however you want. 

How were you going to use FullBookName in the header?  Just the book name by itself without references?

UPDATE: It is case sensitive.  You need to use the proper case or it won't work at all: [FullBookName] not [fullbookname].  But it still just works in the =ForEachVerse section.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:15 AM

Todd Phillips:
Perhaps it is designed that way.

I think it is time for our video gurus to tackle this one, I for one am unclear on the advanced features of the "Copy Bible Verses". One gentleman did one, but I couldn't get the sound to work and wasn't able to follow it.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:51 AM

Todd Phillips:
[FullBookName], [ShortBookName], [ChapterNum], [VerseNum], [FullVerseRef], [ShortVerseRef] and [VerseText] don't work in the =Header section, but they all work correctly in the =ForEachVerse section.

Here's a picture of all the replacement tokens in each section:

As you can see, only [FullPassageRef], [ShortPassageRef], and [Version] work in the header and the footer, whereas all the tokens work in the verse section.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 31
Wes Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 10:16 AM

Wow, excelent job diagnosing the real problem here. Good work thinking about how to test it. So now we have the problem identified, I wonder if logos will code the program just slightly different so that it works in each section the way I am asking for it. And I can't imagine that I'm the only one who wants to be able to customize the references in the header.

Oh and to answer your question, I want book name chapter number and then ":" and then for each verse have superscripted verse numbers. I could do it in L3 and it is what I am accustomed to. So John 3:^16.....^17..... The closest I can get now is John 3:16-17 ^16..... I just don't like this because if it is only 1 verse I am copying, it says John 3:16 ^16.....

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 10:29 AM

Todd Phillips:

[FullBookName], [ShortBookName], [ChapterNum], [VerseNum], [FullVerseRef], [ShortVerseRef] and [VerseText] don't work in the =Header section, but they all work correctly in the =ForEachVerse section.  I bet they were made available so that you could format the verse-by-verse references however you want. 

How were you going to use FullBookName in the header?  Just the book name by itself without references?

Todd,

The problem with CBV in L4 is in "header" section. You can't get what most people are looking for by tweaking the "verse" section. To answer your question, take a look at the example below:

Most of the time I'm using CBV to copy a range of text into a narrative of some type. In order to have the book and chapter number a the beginning of the passage only, as in the above example, the "header" section must allow for that instruction. Otherwise using the "verse" section repeats the book and chapter number before each verse.

If L4 was working as L3 does, you could place the instructions in the header as in the example below:

However, doing so produces the results above. Hope that answers your question. Melissa said they were working on this. I hope they get it resolved before the release of 4.0b. Any progress Melissa?

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 12:10 PM

James Thompson:
Most of the time I'm using CBV to copy a range of text into a narrative of some type. In order to have the book and chapter number a the beginning of the passage only, as in the above example, the "header" section must allow for that instruction. Otherwise using the "verse" section repeats the book and chapter number before each verse.

What would be the expected value of [ChapterNum] if the reference covered more than one chapter? or [FullBookName] if the reference covered a book boundary?  (i.e. if you had "[FullBookName] [ChapterNum]" in the header, what would you expect it to output if the entered passage was Isaiah 8:22–9:1 or 1 Ki 22:51–2 Ki 1:2 ?)

I'm just wondering, as I don't have v3 installed anymore.

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 12:51 PM

Todd Phillips:

What would be the expected value of [ChapterNum] if the reference covered more than one chapter? or [FullBookName] if the reference covered a book boundary?  (i.e. if you had "[FullBookName] [ChapterNum]" in the header, what would you expect it to output if the entered passage was Isaiah 8:22–9:1 or 1 Ki 22:512 Ki 1:2 ?)

I'm just wondering, as I don't have v3 installed anymore.

That would require an even greater level of complexity in the "header" section... some kind of "conditional" or "if" statement that would allow for a book or chapter number change depending on the verse range to be copied. Right now L3 would handle a verse range of Isa 8:22-9:1 as follows: (at least as I have "My Bible Verse Style" set up in L3)

You would have to manually insert "Isaiah 9:" immediately preceeding verse 1 in the section above or run the CBV for each specific verse range where either the book name or chapter number changes. In any event, this is less of a concern for me since most of the verse ranges I copy are within a single chapter of a book. Hope that answers your question.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 1:02 PM

James Thompson:
Hope that answers your question.

It does and very clearly too.  I was originally posting in responds to tetelestai who said "This is clearly a broken piece of code", when in fact it may be working as designed.  I think a suggestion might be more appropriate than a bug report.  That is all.

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 1:31 PM

Todd Phillips:

It does and very clearly too.  I was originally posting in responds to tetelestai who said "This is clearly a broken piece of code", when in fact it may be working as designed.  I think a suggestion might be more appropriate than a bug report.  That is all.

Actually, it is broken. As you pointed out earlier, only the [FullPassageRef], [ShortPassageRef], and [Version] appear to be working in the header section. However, the remaining "replacement tokens" should work as well, at least according to the syntax instructions. In any event, I hope they get it fixed before the next version release.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2010 11:26 AM

This will be fixed in version 4.0c, and will be included in 4.0c Beta 1 when it's released to beta testers.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2010 11:29 AM

Melissa Snyder:
4.0c Beta 1 when it's released to beta testers.

And when will that be Melissa?

Posts 31
Wes Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2010 12:58 PM

Yay? I guess I'm glad you agree it is a problem and in theory will be fixed in 4.0c. But didn't we just get a big update with lots of "fixes?" Why can't we just sneak this one in there too since we already know it's a problem? I can't imagine it's more than a few lines of code inserted to allow the other parameters. I did just waite over 4 months just to be able to import my old notes, which meant I didn't use L4 hardly at all. And now I need to wait another 4 months to be able to use the CBV correctly? I'm sorry but that really doesn't seem acceptable.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2010 1:02 PM

Every one wants their favorite feature fixed/added first. 

Posts 8639
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 17 2010 8:09 PM

Terry Poperszky:

Melissa Snyder:
4.0c Beta 1 when it's released to beta testers.

And when will that be Melissa?

Bradley just stated here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/13654.aspx that it should be this week.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS