Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 48 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 827
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2015 2:10 PM

[LOL!] That happens to you, too?

Posts 3670
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2015 2:23 PM

Sean:

You might get better answers by posting this in another thread - but then there may be some who will start complaining because your question is not related to LOGOS.  Regardless, I can give you a partial answer:

For highlighting in a paper Bible, I have found a good set of crayons works wonders without bleeding through.  I like the "Twistable" line from Crayola as a good compromise between true highlighters and the boxed crayons we used as kids.  The Twistables are sealed in plastic and are not as subject to breakage as the old boxed crayons:

They also make colored pencils in a twistable format that might be useful, though I have not tried these.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 761
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2015 3:00 PM

I haven't opened a paper Bible in years.

For study, I read on an iPad tablet.  I find that it is easier to take notes and control their location much easier on a tablet.  I even have developed a stock process of highlighting (while creating a new note file, if necessary), copying the highlight, editing the highlight to become a note, adjusting the note title, pasting the entire highlight INTO the note, then adding any of my own comments.  Thus, my note file becomes quite readable in its own way.

I research new topics on a PC where its easier to perform complex searches and build folders in favorites.  Also, I can process my notes and copy / paste into presentation material as I prepare class notes.

I tend to use the free ESV Bible app on my tablet in the pew.  It has been greatly improved in the last year and I find it a lot faster than Logos for verse lookup.  There I take sermon notes on the bulletin because I don't expect to archive the content.

Posts 71
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2015 5:24 PM

Geo Philips:

I got back into paper Bibles after 5 years due to the Bible design 'fad'!

I carry a Pitt-Minion ESV to church and have a reader's edition ESV at home for family devotions.

I love Logos but there is something about these paper Bibles that is unparalleled by the digital age.

This is exactly what prompted my original post.  I have been nearly all digital with iPad or iPhone at church and laptop or desktop for home study.  I'm thinking about getting a nice, high quality leather Bible with some Christmas money.  I've done some research over the past week and there are some really beautiful high quality Bibles out there.

Posts 2332
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2015 7:09 PM

Sean Collins:

Perhaps a little off topic, but I am looking at fountain pens for journaling and note taking. Any recommendations for a beginner? Thanks in advance!

Fountain pens demand a bit of discipline, but if you want something well made at a very reasonable price, look at a Pilot Metropolitan and get the Con-50 converter to fill from a bottle. Or look at some of the lower price Cross pens. I avoid cartridges because you pay a lot for the convenience and bottle fill wets the nib which is very practical. You also have the freedom to choose an ink that best works for you.

If you need more info check out this forum: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2015 8:29 PM

Bryce Hufford:
 I like hearing about the methods others use in their Bible study.

Thankful can use screen capture of Logos 6 and paste to create parallel passages with highlighting showing range of verbal expression.  Attached Ephesians parallel example of NA28 and AV 1873:

1830.EphesiansNA28-AV1873.docx

Printed handouts are useful in facilities where electronic devices are not allowed.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1174
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2015 10:25 PM

I used to be a paper Bible and journal guy, then after having Logos a couple years, I changed up and did all my reading and notes on Logos. Just recently though I've switched back (after about 2 years). I find that I comprehend and remember the text better on a paper Bible. I still use Logos for Bible study, but use my paper Bible for regular morning reading (although I definitely still often look up a passage or 2 with Logos while in my devotional reading time).  I still use Logos for notes I take on the Bible, but for morning devotion notes (which I consider different) I use a paper journal. It seems to stick with me way better for some reason. I don't know if It's because of the quick-scan nature of the internet or what, but my mind seems to read and forget most digital text. I'm excited about some of the new reader friendly Bible's being released lately like Crossway's Reader versions, and the new kickstarter Bibliotheca!

Posts 1475
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2015 12:38 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
Pastors, Ministers, Evangelist, etc. have a certain look rather they carry a leather Bible or not, bu those not familiar with church will not readily recognize that look. So, a leather Bible still has visual impact, as a doctors stethoscope and labcoat does. Smile

There are "Bible-look" phone cases selling. Maybe logos could provide also their own?

As an engineer I don't trust technology, so I use also paper. Paper books and maps often serve as additional screens, and they do not change read location unexpected.

How about a cylindrical scroll-look screen for the Hebrew enthusiasts? May look cool when you use it in a crowded place Cool

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2446
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2015 4:07 AM

Gao Lu:

I always carry a paper Bible to the pulpit 

I use Logos at church except when I am on the pulpit - mostly for Scripture reading then it is paper Bible.  

When doing a church presentation I have power point running but with my paper Bible in hand.

In class or Bible study it is Logos.  

Was in one Bible study where I was studying the presenters methods where someone asked a question that the presenter could not answer off the top of his head. The presenter turned to me and asked me to look it up.  Logos came to the rescue. Lesson learned: Always have a second in the room.

Posts 3197
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2015 2:24 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Bryce Hufford:

Thankful can use screen capture of Logos 6 and paste to create parallel passages with highlighting showing range of verbal expression.  Attached Ephesians parallel example of NA28 and AV 1873:

Printed handouts are useful in facilities where electronic devices are not allowed.

Keep Smiling Smile

Very Nice shot Wink

I have been trying to print the NET with Higlighting and its footnotes but so far unsuccesful- any ideas?

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2015 2:48 PM

I haven't used a paper Bible regularly for years.... in the glove box i keep a small pocket NJB leather, and on my prayer desk there is a NOAB 3rd A. but it is only occasionally used, but some times I do feel the need to turn to it where I am studying and read it on paper. But this action is more a way of reminding me when i return of the insight I had yesterday....

-Dan

Posts 2332
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2015 4:29 PM

The one great advantage of using a paper Bible is knowing that most of the people we teach or preach to are using one as well.

One thing I've started to do lately is to print out the text one verse per line in Logos and just mark it up as I study. It's very interactive and I see a lot more. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2130
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2015 4:58 PM

Bryce Hufford:

Keep Smiling Smile

That is quite a useful work of art!  Thanks.

Does anyone keep paper bibles around to give away?  I have a stack in the closet for that, but they are dusty.  

Posts 3197
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2015 6:57 PM

Gao Lu:

Bryce Hufford:

Keep Smiling Smile

That is quite a useful work of art!  Thanks.

Does anyone keep paper bibles around to give away?  I have a stack in the closet for that, but they are dusty.  

I use to buy cases of pew bibles NIV and NASB- to just hand out- it helps to put books in peoples hands- especially sinners- why? the Lord works through his word and you never know when they find themselves responding to Him- having that within their reach just makes it all the easier for the brother or sister who is in their way to minister to them.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2015 7:56 PM

Paper/Leather Bibles are a universal medium for handing out. Handing out Tablets with eBibles loaded will most likely not be an economical way to go for some time. For those of us very serious and heavily involved in study, Logos can't be beat.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2015 4:22 PM

Veli Voipio:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
Pastors, Ministers, Evangelist, etc. have a certain look rather they carry a leather Bible or not, bu those not familiar with church will not readily recognize that look. So, a leather Bible still has visual impact, as a doctors stethoscope and labcoat does. Smile

There are "Bible-look" phone cases selling. Maybe logos could provide also their own?

As an engineer I don't trust technology, so I use also paper. Paper books and maps often serve as additional screens, and they do not change read location unexpected.

How about a cylindrical scroll-look screen for the Hebrew enthusiasts? May look cool when you use it in a crowded place Cool

Logos does have a case, although it doesn't look like a bible. https://www.logos.com/product/38233/logos-iphone-5-cover

You can never trust technology so much as to not have a backup. I use Logos a lot, almost exclusively for much needed study, but if the lights go out, it is good to know that you can bring out the paper/leather Bible and a candle. :-)

Thinking of Hebrew, my optometrist has a Hebrew eye chart in his office. I've been meaning to ask him where he got it from. Have to get one of those. :-)

Posts 3323
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2015 5:32 PM

I use print Bibles principally when I'm praying in churches and chapels.

Puer natus est nobis. Merry Christmas!

Catholic Products Forum - Book Suggestions UserVoice - Verbum Blog

Posts 58
Dave M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2015 4:32 PM

Gotta love the "twisties."

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2015 8:33 PM
I have a Cambridge Clarion ESV, which is a goatskin cover, single-column format black-letter premium Bible. The binding is very limp and lays down flat anywhere you open it. It is beautiful and well-crafted in every respect. No Logos-formatted version can touch it.
Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2015 11:50 PM

Gao Lu:
Does anyone keep paper bibles around to give away?

Yes.  Prisons have physical book limits for residents while halfway houses let clients have more.  Study Bibles are popular.

Whyndell Grizzard:
I have been trying to print the NET with Higlighting and its footnotes but so far unsuccesful- any ideas?

Logos Resource has Column display with option to "Show footnotes on page":

Logos 6 can print the NET Bible with Footnotes:

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS