Linux version of Logos Bible Software

Page 50 of 54 (1061 items) « First ... < Previous 48 49 50 51 52 Next > ... Last »
This post has 1,060 Replies | 56 Followers

Posts 50
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2020 5:26 AM

Nick:

@Daniel,  My Logos has successfully updated from 8.14.0.0010 to 8.15.0.0004 with 5.11 wine-staging although it did have a couple of hiccups, e.g. re-downloading 3.5Gb of resources, and I think it had two attempts at downloading.  So far, after light use, I've not noted any particular additional issues, but these may emerge as I use it more.

The process I used to install may be different from yours (on Debian Bullseye):

connect to winehq packages; install winbind, winetricks, and cabextract.

these have evolved from the method at https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=38306

I imagine you could use the latest Logos version from that page, now, instead of the one I have used.

$   WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wine-5.11-staging/  WINEARCH=win64 wineboot                                                                            - cancel Wine Mono installation
 $   WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wine-5.11-staging/ winetricks -q win10 dotnet48 corefonts fontsmooth=rgb
 $   cp -R wine-5.11-staging/ wine-logos-5.11-staging (just to create a point to return to if it goes wrong)
 $   WINEPREFIX=~/wine-logos-5.11-staging/ winecfg ~/wine-logos-5.11-staging/                                 (and set to Windows 10 as default)
 $   WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wine-logos-5.11-staging/ msiexec /i ~/Downloads/8.10.0.0032-x64.msi
 $   WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wine-logos-5.11-staging/ wine64 ~/wine-logos-5.11-staging/drive_c/users/nick/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Logos/Logos.exe

And I generally have a couple of issues (I haven't applied the rendering workaround):
+ Login Screen has artifacts that make it hard to see where to enter user data.
+ Indexing seems to run at 80% of CPU on my system - and much faster! With the notification of indexing just before it jumps to 75%  And I don't think I noticed the blue bar on the Logos Setup window, extending across the screen as indexing completes.  It seems to peak at 1.66Gb RAM.  CPU drops at 6% then everything fluctuates wildly with RAM usage between 0.4 and 4Gb.  Seems to get stuck at 6% complete  It seems to finish at 448,508 Kb with 0% CPU but still only 6% indexed. -> 448,568 Kb
+ closed and opened.  Didn't open.  rebooted.  Opened.  Wanted to download 3.5Gb updates.  Completed successfully, with various program upgrades.

I've not tested it with the most recent wine-staging (5.13)

Thanks, Nick.

The steps here are almost the same, but using the 32bits version (with the AppImage). Then I will start the migration to pure 64bits installation, with wine 5.11 or higher, now. Thanks again.

Posts 1
Joshua Stubbs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2020 1:25 PM

A Linux release would be one of the hapiest moments in my life. Sigh.

Posts 3
Purist | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 30 2020 9:11 PM

Trying it tonight on ElementaryOS 5.1. It has gone well and is downloading resources. I added three upvotes on winehq (now #13).

Many thanks to everyone working on this!

Posts 211
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2020 11:17 PM

Wine has improved quite bit over the years, a lot of software and even heavy duty games can now run under Linux.

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 1070
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2020 3:33 AM

I've finally had time to test the bash install script. I've added it to the guide on winehq. Thanks Daniel - well done for the great work!

I'd like to appeal again for people to vote on the winehq app db for Logos Bible Software. With 33 more votes (that's 11 people donating all 3 of their votes) we could climb the ladder to the next slot. It all helps get dev attention. Which we will need when Logos 9 arrives.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 134
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2020 7:16 AM

John Goodman:

I've finally had time to test the bash install script. I've added it to the guide on winehq. Thanks Daniel - well done for the great work!

I'd like to appeal again for people to vote on the winehq app db for Logos Bible Software. With 33 more votes (that's 11 people donating all 3 of their votes) we could climb the ladder to the next slot. It all helps get dev attention. Which we will need when Logos 9 arrives.

I'd add votes if I knew where to do so... [hint hint]. Is this on the Wine forum, or Logos? Could you give us a URL so we don't have to go searching? Thanks!

Posts 1070
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2020 7:52 AM

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=38306

Many thanks

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 134
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2020 7:59 AM

John Goodman:
I clicked the link you provided and it took me to the WineHQ page for Logos. I logged in (yes, I have an account there), but I don't see anywhere to "vote" for anything... More help? Many thanks, in advance.

Posts 1070
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2020 8:16 AM

See right hand side of the page I linked when signed in.

Posts 863
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2020 8:28 AM

I checked Logos 8 in the vote box but didn't see how I could vote three times. Also, once I voted, the vote count didn't go up so I can't tell if my votes were successful. Maybe this has to do with casting earlier votes a few months ago.

Posts 134
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2020 9:01 AM

John Goodman:

See right hand side of the page I linked when signed in.

Thanks. It was the oddest "vote" page I've seen... Three blank boxes that I can select labelled "No app selected". :-\ I selected the three boxes, clicked OK, and the votes climbed from 110 to 113, so it must have worked!

Posts 25
Olrik van der Woerd | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2020 4:35 AM

I saw in that Google doc that somebody already installed a Logos 64b on a mint 19.2 64b. (With which wine version?) How stable is that combo? Because I would like to try Logos 64b on Mint 20.04 64b with wine 5.16 stable. 

Posts 1070
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2020 6:24 AM

Olrik van der Woerd:

I saw in that Google doc that somebody already installed a Logos 64b on a mint 19.2 64b. (With which wine version?) How stable is that combo? Because I would like to try Logos 64b on Mint 20.04 64b with wine 5.16 stable. 

I think in general we are not confident to recommend 64bit but testing is ongoing.

I have had favourable results with it on the latest wine but I've only been using it for a few days.  First install the latest dev version from winehq i.e. wine-devel 5.16. Then install Logos using option 5 of Daniel's script https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller

When the installation finishes choose not to run Logos. Open a task manager and terminate all remaining processes related to wine. Then run Logos.

I would very much like to know if you have any issues etc.

Posts 1070
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2020 6:42 AM

To clarify ideally for stability you want to use Daniel's installer script as above but choose option 1 and that sets you up with 32bit Logos on a 64bit os. Indexing will be a little slow but I expect it to be very stable.

Posts 2626
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2020 1:03 PM

One problem with porting Logos to Linux is that Logos would want to provide just an executable.  [providing source code would give away their encryption method and other trade secrets]  Would they need to provide a separate executable for every flavor of Linux? That is you are running Linux on (maybe) an Intel-86 system and I am running Linux on a Raspberry Pi. 

Also would we need to use the path name that Logos already uses? 

For example my current path to my resources is:     ((where [xxxxxxxx] is some ‘random’ letters.))  

D:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\Logos\Data\xxxxxxxx\ResourceManager\Resources\5ef51f82dcde4751b50c52a59c7ce8ef.lbspbb

Posts 1070
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2020 1:33 PM

Some interesting points David. As you rightly point out, targeting Linux is complicated. There are things like appimage which can help. At present, our solution with wine maintains all the encryption etc so intellectual property isn't at risk. I dream of logos on a raspberry pi but the best I think we have is the web app.

Posts 50
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2020 10:23 AM

David Ames:

One problem with porting Logos to Linux is that Logos would want to provide just an executable.  [providing source code would give away their encryption method and other trade secrets]  Would they need to provide a separate executable for every flavor of Linux? That is you are running Linux on (maybe) an Intel-86 system and I am running Linux on a Raspberry Pi. 

Also would we need to use the path name that Logos already uses? 

For example my current path to my resources is:     ((where [xxxxxxxx] is some ‘random’ letters.))  

D:\Users\User1\AppData\Local\Logos\Data\xxxxxxxx\ResourceManager\Resources\5ef51f82dcde4751b50c52a59c7ce8ef.lbspbb

The LogosBible run on dotnet4 that is multiplatform. The same executable can run well on MS Windows, MacOS, Linux or anyplace that can run dotnet. The problem here is that even dotnet being multiplatform, a graphical api, which has a restricted implementation (like: don't supported on linux), was used.

If, when migrating to the new dotnet5, they choose to easily port the GUI code using a dotnet multiplatform API (such as the opensource Avalonia UI), then we would be able to run smoothly using MS DotNet5 for Linux (available to ARM32 | ARM64 | x64 | x64 Alpine) , or on the opensource mono dotnet (without any intermediary app like Wine).

About the resources path: this is just a software design choice on the part of LogosBible developers (which can be changed depending on motivation).

Posts 2626
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2020 4:04 AM

Daniel Ribeiro da Silva:

David Ames:

((where [xxxxxxxx] is some ‘random’ letters.))  

About the resources path: this is just a software design choice on the part of LogosBible developers (which can be changed depending on motivation).

Question: all encryption needs a key, are those ‘random’ letters part of the key Logos uses to decrypt the resource?  

I probably could test that by renaming the ‘random’ letters but will let someone else try.  [[or does Logos use the full path as the key?]]

Posts 18597
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2020 4:35 AM

David Ames:

Daniel Ribeiro da Silva:

David Ames:

((where [xxxxxxxx] is some ‘random’ letters.))  

Question: all encryption needs a key, are those ‘random’ letters part of the key Logos uses to decrypt the resource?  

Resource files are identical in different installations on Windows and macOS, which have different 'random' letters to uniquely identify installations (allows scan command to copy resource files between installations followed by indexing them).

If have more than one Faithlife account, then changing application login will create another 'random' folder.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 17
Kevin Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2020 9:12 AM

Hi. I gave Daniel's AppImage script a try using Option 1 (running Linux Mint 20 XFCE). It fails when it tries to run the Logos Installer - warning that it can't find .NET. I tried again allowing it to download and install MONO in case that might change something but it still fails.

My working Wasta-Wine installation has been  fine until I foolishly agreed to allow it to install some updates last week. Now it runs okay, but crashes when I try to access the Library. Does anyone have suggestions to fix that or do I need to reinstall?

Page 50 of 54 (1061 items) « First ... < Previous 48 49 50 51 52 Next > ... Last » | RSS