Undecided if Logos is right for me...

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 4
Rachel Sutton | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 27 2015 1:12 PM

I have been considering purchasing Bible study software, but I am not sure if Logos is the right program for my needs. I would love your insights and advice. 

I am not in ministry or a scholar, but someone who wants to be able to do deeper Bible study. I saw Logos at a conference at my church, and I'm interested in having more study resources available (Bible dictionaries, a good commentary, info on biblical culture) and the software to help with searching. However, my budget is $500 at this point, which it seems would get me the Bronze package with the current discount (I don't think I qualify for any other discounts). However, I don't know if I am the "typical" type of person that Logos targets, and if this program will be worth the investment for me. From looking at a couple other programs, it seems that Logos is the most expensive (although it seems difficult to figure out if the programs/resources are equal), but I am having a difficult time deciding if the extra features that Logos has is worth the investment. I have tried some of the free online programs, but find the interfaces difficult to use and thus distracting. 

One thing that concerns me is that some people say that Logos is slow. My computer is about 2 years old but has a new hard drive and 8gb of RAM and an i7 processor. I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and have gotten "low memory" messages, which I haven't ever gotten before. I am concerned that this program won't work well on my computer,

Any advice is welcome!

Rachel

Posts 666
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 1:26 PM

Welcome to the Forums Rachel!

First, pertaining to the hardware that you stated you currently use. With a newer hard drive, 8 gigs of RAM and an i7 processor, you should be able to run Logos efficiently.

In regard to whether Logos is the right software for you and if it meets your needs, I'd recommend giving it a try and if it does not, or even if it is much more than you are looking for currently. In honesty, Logos is on the higher $ range of Bible software, but it does a lot more than the lowers $ competitors. The question is whether or not the extra it does is worth the cost difference for you personally.

So feel free to give it a try, Logos does offer a 30 Day refund policy, so if it works for you, you have very good software. If it doesn't work for your needs, you tried out arguably the best and have a great reference point in your search for the Bible Study software that you are looking for to enrich your faith!

Posts 1223
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 1:30 PM

Rachel Sutton:

I have been considering purchasing Bible study software, but I am not sure if Logos is the right program for my needs. I would love your insights and advice. 

I am not in ministry or a scholar, but someone who wants to be able to do deeper Bible study. I saw Logos at a conference at my church, and I'm interested in having more study resources available (Bible dictionaries, a good commentary, info on biblical culture) and the software to help with searching. However, my budget is $500 at this point, which it seems would get me the Bronze package with the current discount (I don't think I qualify for any other discounts). However, I don't know if I am the "typical" type of person that Logos targets, and if this program will be worth the investment for me. From looking at a couple other programs, it seems that Logos is the most expensive (although it seems difficult to figure out if the programs/resources are equal), but I am having a difficult time deciding if the extra features that Logos has is worth the investment. I have tried some of the free online programs, but find the interfaces difficult to use and thus distracting. 

One thing that concerns me is that some people say that Logos is slow. My computer is about 2 years old but has a new hard drive and 8gb of RAM and an i7 processor. I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and have gotten "low memory" messages, which I haven't ever gotten before. I am concerned that this program won't work well on my computer,

Any advice is welcome!

Rachel

I think Frank is right, you should be fine. You may have to make sure you do not sun other programs or processes at the same time. And you can do things to speed up Win 10, like disabling features you dont need and such. 

Logos is the most important investment I have made in Bible Study. I have several programs, and hardly use the others. Yes, Logos is more expensive, but you get what you pay for, and Logos is the Cadillac of Bible Study software in my opinion. 

You do have a 30 day money back guarantee, and you can also get a payment plan, interest free. 

I think you will enjoy it once you have it. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 1410
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 2:16 PM

Rachel, you don't have to commit to a package. I've been using Logos and acquiring resources for 13 years without one...

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 2:42 PM

Hi Rachel; And welcome to the forums,

I am in agreement with Frank an Myke. I'll add a few comments.

Currently, I am running Logos 6 on three machines (none are top of the line or even close), and have found the performance adequate. I have a Pentium 4 Windows 7 with 4GB, a Core 2 Windows 7 with 8GB, and a Core 2 Windows 10 with 2GB.

Concerning the value of Logos to you, I will say that if you are not very serious about Bible Study or you just study once in a while, that Logos will probably be extremely expensive and won't have much value over any other program. But, if the study of the Word is a lifelong journey for you, Logos will meet you at the level you currently are at, and will accompany you regardless of what heights you may reach. Brothers and sisters who use Logos range from those newly converted to seasoned scholars.

One more thing, considering your current budget. Do a little research as to the resources (books) that will be most beneficial to you, and try to leave a little room for those "Must have" books. At a minimum, I would start with a base package.

EDIT: I see that Ben has completed his reply before I finished mine. Smile

That is also a valid option. Something to keep in mind is that the base packages build upon one another, so if you begin with something like "Starter", and later upgrade to another base package, the cost of upgrading is reduced.

Posts 25295
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 2:53 PM

Sorry Ben, but Rachel needs an affordable package if she is to gain a proper appreciation of Logos without running into a lot of questions like "why doesn't this feature work?" or "why don't I have this feature?".

Rachel,

Logos Gold package will get you all the features with resources and datasets that allow it to function properly. Logos Silver is almost as good. But Logos Bronze is fine for what you want and you can upgrade later if want to go deeper into study.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1578
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 2:56 PM

Have to agree with you Dave Hooton I have Logos Gold and it is a fantastic package !!! 

I started out with the Logos Silver Package and then upgraded to Logos Gold within a matter of weeks.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 3:02 PM

Hi Dave;

Rachel's current budget is $500. That would get her started with "Starter" in which she can more economically upgrade later, and still have some funds remaining for those must-have resources.

Posts 1223
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 3:07 PM

Dave Hooton:

Sorry Ben, but Rachel needs an affordable package if she is to gain a proper appreciation of Logos without running into a lot of questions like "why doesn't this feature work?" or "why don't I have this feature?".

Rachel,

Logos Gold package will get you all the features with resources and datasets that allow it to function properly. Logos Silver is almost as good. But Logos Bronze is fine for what you want and you can upgrade later if want to go deeper into study.

I agree. I think a package is a wise way to go; then there is no question as to features and datasets. 

Remember, you can put the rest on a payment plan if the package you need exceeds $500. Its a valuable investment that will yield long-term ROI! 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 10314
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 3:11 PM

Rachel Sutton:

You have received great advice so far. I'm not sure whether there is a "typical" type of Logos users (here in the forums we come from a great variety of ways) - in the end, you decide to use it, whether you are the kind of person they had in mind when designing certain things or not. Since Logos is a so large "universe" to explore, there are different options to go about that (such as base packages, bundles, individual resources etc.

Some people try to start with linited financial invest - getting the free engine, the free books (which include an English bible, a study bible, a great bible dictionary, even a Greek NT and much more): see for yourself at https://www.logos.com/products/search?view=grid&Status=Live&Delivery+Method=DOWNLOAD&start=&sort=pricelo&pageSize=60 - and then adding selected resources "cafeteria style", but some features require non-free datasets. Thus it might make sense to go for a base package - they give the most value for money, and come in different sizes, denominations etc. 

One thing that might be of interest to you as a new customer is trying the Logos subscription solution, called "Cloud". This will give you the equivalent of a base package for monthly subscription payments. You can start with a month free, pick the size you want and even adjust that to a smaller or larger size and supplant with bought resources. See http://logoscloud.com  for more info. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 25295
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 3:20 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
That would get her started with "Starter"

Bronze is just over $500 with current discount and has those "must have"** resources which will cost much more if bought separately (the saving of $300 over Starter doesn't go far and remember the 30 day trial).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 322
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 3:26 PM

Logos is, in fact, the Cadillac of Bible oriented software.  However, it is more of a library than Bible Software proper due to its open ended manner in which it needs to have huge amounts of resources to run properly...read this as money out of your pocket.  For me I bought version 3 in Seminary and never have purchased anything more than a minor upgrade..once.  It basically just sits on my computer as the company moves toward a subscription model Microsoft uses for its software.  Ironically for all of its power I never used it in my D. Min degree because Paul Tillich was not an available resource at the time.  Is it worth buying...well yes and no.  If you want a massive library with powerful resources it is worth it.  Get use to having empty pockets if you do buy it. 

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 3:30 PM

Dave Hooton:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
That would get her started with "Starter"

Bronze is just over $500 with current discount and has those "must have"** resources which will cost much more if bought separately (the saving of $300 over Starter doesn't go far and remember the 30 day trial).

Good point.

Myke has mentioned the payment plan option (which I forgot about). If she can do that, that will get her Gold (which has all of the data sets), and that also carries the 30 day trial.

Posts 6491
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 4:51 PM

Don't forget the free resources. https://www.logos.com/products/search?start=0&sort=pricelo&pageSize=60 

Check out these 25 free resources.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 5:15 PM

I would agree with a starter package but add a specific bundle. https://www.logos.com/bundles

Posts 66
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 6:14 PM

Rachel you Said: One thing that concerns me is that some people say that Logos is slow. My computer is about 2 years old but has a new hard drive and 8gb of RAM and an i7 processor. I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and have gotten "low memory" messages, which I haven't ever gotten before. I am concerned that this program won't work well on my computer.

My Ansswer: I would recommend doing a fresh reinstall on your computer. There is a refresh option in windows 10 under "Reset this PC" which can be found if you type "Reset this PC" in the cortana search box. This will refresh the entire operating system and still keep your files on the computer. Or if you want to go one step further you could backup all your documents and choose the refresh everything option which also removes all your documents. You could then import your documents back and reinstall all your software. Sometimes if you do an upgrade instead of a clean install it causes problems so I highly recommend doing this. 

Based on the specs you mention you will have no problem running Logos 6 specially if you reset your PC. I currently run Logos 6 on a Desktop that has an old AMD Quad Core processor and 8GB of RAM and my Logos runs very well. I also recently purchased a new HP Envy 13m ultrabook which has an i5 and 8GB of RAM and it also runs good. You don't need the fastest computer in the world to run Logos and some would say, as long as your computer is well maintained and tuned up. For example my desktop is about 7 years old and it runs like new because I always make sure I do maintenance on it by keeping it clean with CCleaner and running a good antivirus programs which is why I have never got a virus in 7 years. 

I will tell you this no matter which package you start off with you will be at least 2 package levels higher within 2 years lol. I am sure everyone on here knows what I mean. But every penny is worth it because these purchase is for life and you will have resources that will expand your knowledge about God and the scriptures. And don't forget that you can get everything in a payment plan which makes it much easier to separate from a few bucks a month then one huge amount of money at ones. 

Let me know if you need further help on how to get your computer to run like new again. 

Diego

Posts 66
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 6:32 PM

Hey Rachel! I just saw your post on accordance's forum and that you are deciding between Logos and Accordance? All I can tell you is that at the end no matter what you go with you will be blessed with your purchase. I don't have much experience with Accordance but from I have heard they are also a good product. But of course I hope you go with Logos! ;)

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 6:34 PM

I've used Logos for well over 10 years now.  It is the Cadillac, but a well earned title.  It is expesnive, but IMO worth the investment.  I would also suggest Package plus Bundle approach, depending on your views/interests.  

FWIW, $500 is not much in the book world, so I would be prepared to add to it.  

Posts 4
Rachel Sutton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 8:28 PM

Thank you all for your responses! As far as describing Logos as the "Cadillac" of Bible software - can you explain a little more about what you mean? Is it because of the huge number or resources or other features the software provide (and can you give examples)?

Posts 80
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2015 9:33 PM

I use both Logos and Olivetree. The books on Olivetree are usually cheaper, especially with their frequent discounts. Logos engine is more powerful: in terms of original language ability (you do not have to know the original languages yourself because the software offers a lot of "clutches"), in terms of searches (e.g. checking who have cited a certain biblical passage in theological journals, sermons, and books that you own), and in terms of analytical abilities (e.g. comparing different bible versions, parallelism and rhyming within the psalms, etc.).

However, unless you invest thousands of dollars in Logos, you cannot really take full advantage of the Logos software.  On such a true "Cadillac" system, with the press of a button one can perform exegetical analysis, compare variants among ancient manuscripts, check out ancient interpretations, read Jewish and Calvin commentaries, examine Exegetical and Homelitical commentaries, find out how Tim Keller or Spurgeon or John Piper or John MacArthur preached on the passage, and examine contemporary debates as presented in relevant journal articles and theology texts. 

If you have $500 to spend, I would focus on having the most important tools for doing good Bible study research. I would get NIV and ESV as the core versions, NIV Zondervan Bible Study Note (which is better than many one volume commentary), Strong Exhaustive concordance, Bible atlas, a simple Bible dictionary, and a good set of commentary. With your budget, I would not get into the journals, deeper original language tools, and large commentaries. Within the Logos system, I would get Starter set, NIV (not included in the Starter package) and Zondervan NIV study notes, and an intermediate commentary. The choices of commentary would include: (1) Tyndale (around $220); (2) Life Application/Wiersbe set (around $200); (3) Understanding Bible Commentaries by Baker (currently almost 75% off for a few days for about $170). Which set of commentaries to get would depend on what you want to get out of your Bible study, but currently the Understanding Bible Commentaries set is a very good deal.

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS