Again: Trapped feeling

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 10671
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2015 1:28 PM

Doc B:
One other bit of advice (and this one will ruffle some feathers): STAY AWAY FROM THESE FORUMS!

Hmm Interesting piece of advice from one who is approaching 2100 posts on these forums Geeked Stick out tongue 

Posts 6868
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2015 1:32 PM

Jack Caviness:

Doc B:
One other bit of advice (and this one will ruffle some feathers): STAY AWAY FROM THESE FORUMS!

Hmm Interesting piece of advice from one who is approaching 2100 posts on these forums Geeked Stick out tongue 

Irony of ironies LOL 😇🤓🙂

Happy New Year!

DAL

Posts 120
Ted Harms | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2015 1:40 PM

I think we all need to think about what Paul said in 1 Timothy 6:6-8 "6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that."

Posts 197
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2015 5:02 PM

Ted Harms:

I think we all need to think about what Paul said in 1 Timothy 6:6-8 "6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that."

But if we have food and clothing [and Ott's Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma back in Verbum], we will be content with that.

Agape,

Steve

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 2:31 AM

Dan Francis:
If dependability on mobile platform is of chief importance i go ACC or OT....

Dan, 

If there are any dependability issues you have experienced with the Faithlife Mobile apps, please post about these issues in the mobile forums.

Posts 523
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 3:02 AM

Stephen Terlizzi:

Ted Harms:

I think we all need to think about what Paul said in 1 Timothy 6:6-8 "6

But if we have food and clothing [and Ott's Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma back in Verbum], we will be content with that.

Agape,

Steve

i second it

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 5:20 AM

I am a seminary student and pastor. My income after school can be measured by five digits and not six.

I have squirreled away nearly all of my discretionary spending money into Logos. I'm up to collectors edition, and have the top (or nearly so) base package in all of the other denominational packages. I'm not trying to brag here, I just want you to understand where I am at. 20,000$ invested into the ecosystem; with careful purchasing and good use of the CP program I've only paid about 1.19 usd per title. Roughly 6$ for every 5 titles.

I remember when I first returned to the ecosystem. I had some L2 software, and then L3 came out and I hated it. I finished bible school, and then started seminary. At that point I looked back at Logos once more - and with the help of some family and church family bought L4 Silver. The following week L5 came out, and I kind of freaked out a little bit. All these new base packages, all within my return window, shouldn't I have waited and bought in at 5 instead? I sent four or five frantic emails to my salesperson. Eventually he replied that from his perspective the L4 base packages were better than 5, and that while he could get me a L5 base package in exchange for my L4, that if I just waited a little bit I could be upgraded to 5 for free once the engine was released in a few weeks.

I made up my mind to download the new engine, and then later buy L5 gold (ended up going with platinum) when I could afford it, and the rest is history.

I like the mobile (ios in my case) app - has it reached desktop app parity? Nope. But its improving. My biggest gripe is that personal books don't sync to mobile yet.

The syncing of personal books being something a salesman promised me before I bought into L4.

As to your stipulation that the books are inappropriate, or unusable? There is some math worth doing whenever you consider a new base package. I start out by considering what titles I would get, then I evaluate what titles I would use. For instance, I was able to upgrade to Collectors, and gain AYB, ICC, and a few other commentary sets I was interested in, for less than the cost of AYB alone (thanks to dynamic pricing) AND I'd get a couple of thousand bonus titles besides. So for me the 1800$ upgrade that bought me 2200 books or so, was a great investment. Will I use 2000 of those? who knows. But part of the power of Logos is in having a large library. By having all these books I can click and see quotes in their context. Which is fantastic.

So yes some people are anti-base package. Sometimes some of their arguments have merit. But only when they weren't careful in selecting their base packages because there are some phenomenal deals out there to be had if you do your homework first. Having a salesman you can email at 3am with weird questions can help too - mine just took a job at the head of a big charity... But there are others, I've heard good things recently about Maggie Segar (maggie.segar at faithlife dot com). They can tell you what titles are new to you, they can tell you what some of the more important titles are and why, they can help guide your decision process, and they aren't afraid to say "honestly, that wouldn't benefit you". I've been told that a couple of times by sales people at Logos.

OR just stick with the free engines and keep up to date that way. The data sets are nice - but are not absolutely necessary for the study of scripture, or for a paper for a class.

Don't mind the sour grapes here on the forum. Some people grouse about the software and the people on the forums, and yet STILL return almost every day. I think that fact all by it self speaks volumes. If it were as bad as they say, why spend so much time here? ;)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 322
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 6:47 AM

Of course we shouldn't express our unhappiness with an expense, overly complicated, public domain dominated library droid to others...Tongue Tied  Each of us decided to spend the amount of money that was dropped into our packages.  I too started gathering resources in seminary at better discounts with few upgrades over the years.  I too find that few of the resources are truly useful to my profession.  I too feel trapped with the the small amount of of investment that has been made.  However, the bible software market is very slim at this time with fewer options as time goes on.  So I keep Logos on my computer drive with the Christian counseling resources I have while doing bible studies with another program.  I am scared to sell the license or keep the software. It works and that is all I need at the moment.

Posts 5270
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 8:50 AM

Kevin Byford (Faithlife):

Dan Francis:
If dependability on mobile platform is of chief importance i go ACC or OT....

Dan, 

If there are any dependability issues you have experienced with the Faithlife Mobile apps, please post about these issues in the mobile forums.

Kevin you are well aware that I and others have requested most robust offline usability. Faithlife Mobile Apps for usability beyond being a basic reader functionality requires an internet connection. Passage guide and use of greek hebrew look up requires connection to use logos servers. When I say dependability I did not mean there were great flaws in your programs (although 2 times I am aware of the programs did make erase all resources on devices, but you claim to have fixed these similar but different bugs). I have also found even with fast connections like full signal LTE or a very high speed WIFI connection my iOS devices (iPhone 6 and iPad 3) do not function as fast with FL mobile apps as the do with Accordance or Olivetree software. It is simply the design of your program, I am grateful for it, but get very frustrated, especially when I have a resource guide up and momentarily loose connection and find that it has not kept enough information on the device to open a resource listed. 

-Dan

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 7:31 PM

Dan Francis:
Kevin you are well aware that I and others have requested most robust offline usability. Faithlife Mobile Apps for usability beyond being a basic reader functionality requires an internet connection. Passage guide and use of greek hebrew look up requires connection to use logos servers. When I say dependability I did not mean there were great flaws in your programs (although 2 times I am aware of the programs did make erase all resources on devices, but you claim to have fixed these similar but different bugs).

Yes, I am aware that better offline support has been requested (along with many, many other features) but you didn't mention "offline" when referencing app "dependability."  So yes, if offline guides or word lookup are what you need, those are currently not supported.  One can't depend on features that don't yet exist in an app, but that is far different than being able to depend on features that do exist (and this is why I asked if you would please post about those in the mobile forums).

Dan Francis:
I have also found even with fast connections like full signal LTE or a very high speed WIFI connection my iOS devices (iPhone 6 and iPad 3) do not function as fast with FL mobile apps as the do with Accordance or Olivetree software. It is simply the design of your program, I am grateful for it, but get very frustrated, especially when I have a resource guide up and momentarily loose connection and find that it has not kept enough information on the device to open a resource listed.

Please create a new thread on the mobile forums for the speed issue, and another for the momentary connection loss one.  If you are willing to help, I'd like to get some speed test numbers for both of your devices/connections and then also compare how many results you are getting from Faithlife vs. the other apps.

I've highjacked this thread and didn't intend to; sorry.  Happy New Year!

Posts 5270
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 8:05 PM

Ok I have sent in a report from my iPad. Will start a new thread soon.. Like I said  I do apologize for being inaccurate or giving an impression that FL mobile apps were not functioning properly, just not performing to what is acceptable to my usage standards, I have been spoiled by Accordance and Olivetree... Not to say FL are not advanced as ACC has no guide to compare your guides or OT resource guide.

-Dan

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2016 12:50 AM

Dan Francis:

Ok I have sent in a report from my iPad. Will start a new thread soon.. Like I said  I do apologize for being inaccurate or giving an impression that FL mobile apps were not functioning properly, just not performing to what is acceptable to my usage standards, I have been spoiled by Accordance and Olivetree... Not to say FL are not advanced as ACC has no guide to compare your guides or OT resource guide.

-Dan

Would it be a correct statement to say that your mobile app usage standards are largely relegated to being offline most if not all of the time?

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS