NIVAC $7.99 until 14th Jan

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 5:01 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I decided I could not afford the entire set so I opted for those rated among the top three in bestcommentaries.com - http://bestcommentaries.com/topseries/

I have used bestcommentaries.com to help me purchase WBC volumes when they were on sale in the fall. Generally, it's helpful, but I ended up picking up a few that weren't so highly rated because I liked the authors. One "sleeper" in NIVAC is Gary Burge's commentary on the gospel of John. It's well worth it even though it's not as highly rated on bestcommentaries.com

Posts 7185
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 5:56 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I decided I could not afford the entire set so I opted for those rated among the top three in bestcommentaries.com - http://bestcommentaries.com/topseries/

It's fine, I said IF you can afford it hehehe but honestly even the not so high rated volumes have some good gems to offer.

DAL

Posts 9229
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 6:41 PM

Bill Anderson:
One "sleeper" in NIVAC is Gary Burge's commentary on the gospel of John. It's well worth it even though it's not as highly rated on bestcommentaries.com

Thanks for the advice.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 7:25 PM

Steve:

Would someone be willing to post the commentary from Matthew 1:1-25 so that I could get a feel for the approach?

NIVAC has three sections: Original Meaning, Bridging Contexts, and Contemporary Significance (application):.

Five screen shots from 27" iMac with 5K display with Logos 6.8 (NIVAC full screen) converted from png to jpeg for forum posting (5.8 MB).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 121
DBR | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 9:40 PM

A lot of people may complain about the lack of dynamic pricing and high prices with Zondervan, but I think their sales were fantastic last year and now for the start of this year. Between the NIVAC and the WBC going on huge discount plus some other things they had on sale, I have no complaints. Dynamic pricing would be great, but if you aren't in a hurry and can pick up books as they go on discount, you can make out really well. Happy for all those who get a second shot at these. I picked up all of them last time and they have been very helpful.

Posts 627
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 10:46 PM

I personally love this series. As in all multi-author commentary series' some books are stronger than others, but I haven't found one yet that hasn't been helpful.

I particularly enjoyed Gary Burge's Letters of John and Karen Jobes volume on Esther.

Posts 1257
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2016 10:47 PM

I'm sure that most of us are on a budget. If you had to rate which volumes you've found indispensable, which would you recommend?

I prioritised buying:

Deuteronomy

1 & 2 Chronicles

Ezekiel

Minor Prophets

Romans

Philippians

Colossians

Hebrews

2 Peter

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2016 7:41 AM

Paul, I would add Gary Burge's commentary on the gospel of John and as Ryan indicates, his commentary on the letters of John.

Posts 9137
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2016 7:57 AM

Paul Caneparo:
I'm sure that most of us are on a budget. If you had to rate which volumes you've found indispensable, which would you recommend?

You should not miss Karen Jobes's Esther (I know it isn't a book we study a lot, but it is a great commentary).

I'd second Garland's Colossians and Philemon and Guthrie's Hebrews.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1257
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2016 8:24 AM

In fact I now own virtually all the series on Kindle or Logos. The ones I identified I considered must haves in Logos as they are considered better than most in the series. Would anyone like to persuade me that I need any that I don't have. The only ones I don’t have are:

Genesis

Kings

Job

Proverbs

Ecclesiastes/Song of Songs

Galatians

1 Peter

If you think any of these are must haves please say why as I do have an extensive commentary collection.

Posts 453
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2016 9:37 AM

James Chin:

Was deciding whether to get Peter Enns' Exodus, being aware of his position on the (in)errancy of the Bible. Then decided it's worth 8 bucks to read what he has to say about the supernatural events in the exodus.  

If memory serves me correctly he Enns wrote the NIVAC Exodus commentary before his views on inerrancy began shifting (at least publicly). The publication date is 2000 which means he was writing it in the late 90's.

Posts 119
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2016 11:05 AM

Paul Caneparo:

In fact I now own virtually all the series on Kindle or Logos. The ones I identified I considered must haves in Logos as they are considered better than most in the series. Would anyone like to persuade me that I need any that I don't have. The only ones I don’t have are:

Genesis

Kings

Job

Proverbs

Ecclesiastes/Song of Songs

Galatians

1 Peter

If you think any of these are must haves please say why as I do have an extensive commentary collection.

Out of your list, Genesis, Ecclesiastes/Song of Songs, and Galatians are worth picking up.

1. Walton in his Genesis volume is helpful on application and particularly helpful on Ancient Near Eastern backgrounds. Though I do not line up on every point with Walton, he repeatedly has insights that other Genesis volumes (e.g. Matthews, Waltke, Wenham) do not. He also employs a theocentric hermeneutic when interpreting the book as a whole instead of moralizing the individual narratives.

2. Iain Provan's Song of Songs' 3-character interpretation is convincing. Provan is a skilled writer, and his devotional insights have been very helpful to me personally. The format of this series gives him more leg room for explanation and application than does the UBC series in which he wrote the outstanding 1 and 2 Kings volume. I have not read the Ecclesiastes portion of this commentary.

3. Scot McKnight's volume is a Galatians commentary that actually answers the question, "So what?" in layman's terms to the New Perspective on Paul (NPP) debate. Though I do not take his NPP position, his commentary attempts to spell out what the implications are of believing one way or the other. That is always helpful.

There is my two cents worth Big Smile

Posts 119
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2016 11:13 AM

Paul Caneparo:

I prioritised buying:

Deuteronomy

1 & 2 Chronicles

Ezekiel

Minor Prophets

Romans

Philippians

Colossians

Hebrews

2 Peter

The indispensable volumes in this series to me are:

1. Exodus by Peter Enns
  2. Deuteronomy by Daniel Block
  3. Esther by Karen Jobes
  4. Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs by Iain Provan
  5. Isaiah by John Oswalt
  6. Ezekiel by Iain Duguid 
  7. Luke by Darrell Bock
  8. Ephesians by Klyne Snodgrass 
  9. Colossians and Philemon by David Garland
Posts 2223
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2016 12:54 PM

Thanks for some very helpful reviews.  I picked up a couple more.

Posts 586
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2016 3:27 PM

Bill Anderson:
I have used bestcommentaries.com to help me purchase WBC volumes when they were on sale in the fall. Generally, it's helpful, but I ended up picking up a few that weren't so highly rated because I liked the authors. One "sleeper" in NIVAC is Gary Burge's commentary on the gospel of John. It's well worth it even though it's not as highly rated on bestcommentaries.com

I have known Gary for a number of years. We have spent time together in Israel as well as here at home. Gary was the translator of the Gospel of John for the NLT. I too recommend his work.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2016 9:07 PM

Randall Cue:

[I have known Gary for a number of years. We have spent time together in Israel as well as here at home. Gary was the translator of the Gospel of John for the NLT. I too recommend his work.

Gary was my youth pastor when he was an intern at my church while he was in seminary. I came to Christ during that time and will be forever grateful for his ministry.

Posts 1257
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2016 5:10 AM

Thank you Jonathan.

I've now bought the Iain Provan volume.  I did buy the Genesis one in Kindle format once, but returned within the week as it didn't seem very helpful on the passage I was preaching from.  I do have access of the Galatians volume and so I haven't bought that one this time.  

Thanks for your feedback.

Posts 119
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2016 6:17 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Thank you Jonathan.

I've now bought the Iain Provan volume.  I did buy the Genesis one in Kindle format once, but returned within the week as it didn't seem very helpful on the passage I was preaching from.  I do have access of the Galatians volume and so I haven't bought that one this time.  

Thanks for your feedback.

You're very welcome.

Posts 522
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2016 9:31 AM

Apparently you have to add them individually to your cart.  I tried to get the NT bundle but the code doesn't work for it.  It does work for individual volumes though.  I have the OT and will be nice to have the NT as well.

Posts 1257
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2016 12:22 PM

Last day tomorrow for these deals.

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS