Custom Guide Functionality questions

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 85
Timothy Shrimpton | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 20 2010 6:27 PM

Hi all!

As I'm digging into the guides a little bit more, I'm really liking what I'm finding.  Just a couple of questions if the following things are possible.

1) Is it possible to set, by default, a section in the guide to be collapsed?  I'd like my commentary and grammar lists be at the top, but I don't want them eating a whole lot of room on that guide until I'm ready to dig into that section of my study.  If they could be there but with only the heading visible by default, that would be great.

2) Can you add just a generic little note section?  When I'm doing sermon work the first thing I do is a rough, basic translation.  The Word for Word section is great but can only put notes on the individual words.  If I could have just a little blank part to key in my translation of the section all in one box, that would be great.

3) Is there a way to directly open a guide you've previously worked on?  Running the guide on the same section of scripture opens it, but just being able to open it directly would be nice.

I think that's all for now!  Thanks to anyone who has time to respond! :)

Posts 31935
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 6:33 PM

TimothyShrimpton:
1) Is it possible to set, by default, a section in the guide to be collapsed?  I'd like my commentary and grammar lists be at the top, but I don't want them eating a whole lot of room on that guide until I'm ready to dig into that section of my study.  If they could be there but with only the heading visible by default, that would be great.

I believe sections will be open or closed depending on their state when you last closed the guide.

TimothyShrimpton:
2) Can you add just a generic little note section?  When I'm doing sermon work the first thing I do is a rough, basic translation.  The Word for Word section is great but can only put notes on the individual words.  If I could have just a little blank part to key in my translation of the section all in one box, that would be great.

There is a generic note in the first section - the section that contains only the citation.

TimothyShrimpton:
3) Is there a way to directly open a guide you've previously worked on?  Running the guide on the same section of scripture opens it, but just being able to open it directly would be nice.

I don't think so. I've found ways to "fake it out" but would not recommend my tricks.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 6:34 PM

1) My guides remember which sections I have collapsed when I close the guide. I'm running the beta, so if yours doesn't the good news is you will get it soon (how soon I don't know.)

2) If you click on the very top of the section guide, on the scripture reference there opens a place for a title and description. I imagine you could use the description box for a translation if you wanted. (I've never done it this way, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.) I don't think you can add a generic "notes" section to a guide.

3) I think you could create a link in your favorites to launch a guide (EDIT: Confirmed, just grab the tab and drag it into your favorites). Other than that you have to type in the reference to pull up the guide again.

Posts 85
Timothy Shrimpton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 6:40 PM

Thanks for the replies, MJ and Kevin!  I'll have to keep playing with it and figuring out a good fit.  Using the same basic study tools for the last 6 years, I'm slow to change. ;)

That top note section would work, but it doesn't expand as it gets longer, it scrolls.  I'd rather be able to see the whole section I'm working with without scrolling.  Fussy, fussy, picky, picky, I know! ;)

EDIT: As far as the section collapsed or not, I can't seem to get things to stick, whether it's opening the same guide again, or more ideally, running the same guide on a different section of Scripture.  Any thoughts of what I might be doing wrong?

Posts 31935
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 8:06 PM

TimothyShrimpton:
 Any thoughts of what I might be doing wrong?

Er .. uh.. it might be that I am running the beta version and that I've not played close enough attention to the changes. Perhaps we found a bug?

But from the Logos blog:

Logos 4: Collapse Sections in Guides

mp|seminars Tips

Today's post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos training seminars.

The various guides in Logos Bible Software 4 contain numerous sections. For example, the Passage Guide lists Commentaries, Cross References, Parallel Passages, and so on. Each section searches different resources and is identified with a section title bar. When you click the title bar, that section collapses or expands. What’s more, if a guide opens with a section collapsed, the search in that section is delayed until you expand the section.

So here’s a strategy for using the sections in a guide:

• Open a guide from the Guides menu
  • Generate a report for a passage or word
  • Collapse all the sections in that guide
  • Close the guide
  • Return to the Guides menu and open the same type of guide
  • Again generate a report for a passage or word

You’ll notice the sections stay collapsed just the way you closed the guide. Now expand a section at a time. Use the information in it and then collapse the section again. This process speeds up searches and allows you to use only the information you need when you need it!

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 85
Timothy Shrimpton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 7:31 AM

Wow, I don't know what I was doing or not doing before, but now it's working just as you all said it would/should.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS