Load software onto second computer?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
Carolyn Lawrence | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:09 PM

How do I load software onto a second computer (laptop)?

Thanks, Gerald Lawrence

Posts 222
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 20 2010 9:26 PM

You might find this helpful :

http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Otherwise, the long way is just to put the DVD in the new computer and let it install and then get the updates.

A song I wrote and recorded : He Who Sits Upon The Throne

Posts 33
Stephen Coles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 4:50 AM

A variation on the three methods on the Wiki worked for me (going from a Vista PC to Win7).  I'd done the first install via a download, so this copy method saved a lot of time:

1) Copy the current installation to an external drive; this is the full file and directory structure below Logos4.

2) Create your Logos4 folder on the new PC (and I'd recommend using the default location which, for Vista and Win7, is {user}\AppData\Local\Logos4.

3) Copy the files from the external drive into this new folder.

4) Run the Logos4 installation program.  On my second PC, this found the copied files quite quickly and accepted all the indexing.

As I said, it worked for me; took just over an hour and I have a full backup into the bargain.  Of course, the copy time depends on how big a library you have and the speed of your system.

Posts 25105
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 6:52 AM

I had tried that method myself but without success as the installer said that Logos4 was already installed and it could not proceed! If I can figure the circumstances where it works there might be a Method 4!!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 33
Stephen Coles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 8:36 AM

Dave,

I backed up the Logos4 folder as described (over my home network to a raid 5 NAS box, in my case).

I then manually created the Logos4 folder and copied the files back from the NAS box onto a new PC that has never had Logos on it.

I then ran the file downloaded from Logos, provided when I bought my Silver upgrade.  I don't recall all the messages but it completed in just a few minutes; I think it asked me for my Logos login, but that might have been when I then went to run the program.

Perhaps the upgrade executable expects to see some Logos files there; however, just having the files there shouldn't mean the program is installed. 

What would happen if you just copied the files over and tried to run the Logos4.exe file?  I can't really test this as I don't have a spare PC to hand but I'd normally expect it to fail as it won't have any info in the registry, though, again, it might be smart enough to have an inbuilt registry repair program.

Posts 25105
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2010 5:25 PM

Stephen Coles:
What would happen if you just copied the files over and tried to run the Logos4.exe file?  I can't really test this as I don't have a spare PC to hand but I'd normally expect it to fail as it won't have any info in the registry, though, again, it might be smart enough to have an inbuilt registry repair program.

I expect that to fail, but it may be possible to run the downloaded logos4.msi in Repair mode. Might try that this week!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS