Allow Logos (Desktop and Mobile) to read epub or Mobi books with support of scripture references

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 211
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 3 2016 2:50 AM

Recently I started reading Mark Jones' Knowing Christ from Banner of Truth on the Kindle format on my iPad, and using Logos to look up for the scripture reference used in the books for notes, and this idea kick in....

If Logos can allow user to open and read epub or mobi based eBooks within the application it self, we will be possible to highlight and make notes with other additional tools within Logos, and the best part is if there are scripture references in the book (which is every paragraph in Knowing Christ), we can just hover or click on it and it will jump to the text directly....

I think any Puritans readers will be benefit if Logos implement this feature.

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2016 6:06 AM

I can fully understand the request, but it would also make it cheaper to buy books from Amazon at lower prices and read them in Logos, which would mean they wouldn't sell the book to you, so I would be very surprised if this feature comes to Logos. Although you wouldn't have the tagging that Logos provides, it would certainly hit sales of Faithlife's own products (unless, of course, they were able to work out a way of only allowing you to read books that aren't available in Logos or Vyrso). 

It does no harm to ask, though! 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2016 9:23 AM

Steven Yu:

If Logos can allow user to open and read epub or mobi based eBooks within the application it self, we will be possible to highlight and make notes with other additional tools within Logos, and the best part is if there are scripture references in the book (which is every paragraph in Knowing Christ), we can just hover or click on it and it will jump to the text directly....

While you wait on this from Faithlife, if you use calibre you can convert your Banner ebooks to .docx format, add the appropriate tagging and bring them into Logos as personal books. I've done this with two of my Banner ebooks so far: Valley of Vision as a Monograph and Voices from the Past as a Calendar Devotional

Posts 211
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2016 1:49 PM

Hi Greg

I agree it might not be profitable for Logos to implement such feature, however I am not asking for the eBooks to be fully integrated in to the Logos engine as in indexing, but purely as a reader.  What I am asking is a something like open an eBook, Logos transform it to an HTML based structure then add Reftag on top of it.  That''s all...

If they going for the full implementation, I think everyone will be switching to Logos from Accordance.... :)

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 20
Robert Forlenza | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 20 2020 2:29 PM

In principle, I would agree about the financial impact. While I prefer to purchase books from Logos for use in Logos, there are books that are not available from Logos.

The feature for me, and I am sure for many others, is about maintaining one's library in a single location.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS