Original Language tool for novices

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 12
Kevin Swann | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 6 2016 9:52 AM

What is the best or recommended resource(s) to use for someone who desires to study in the original languages but has limited background in them? I do understand that some knowledge of the languages is helpful but is there a resource that can "bridge the gap" until greater knowledge of the languages takes place?

Thanks!

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 11:29 AM

Are you wanting to learn more about greek, or do you want commentaries which assist you? 

This resource might be of interest: https://www.logos.com/product/40499/greek-for-the-rest-of-us-2nd-ed 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 895
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 11:40 AM

The "Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew" is pretty good. It is pricey now, though, so I would definitely call and see if your sales rep can cut you a break.

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 5:45 PM

Kevin Swann:
is there a resource that can "bridge the gap" until greater knowledge of the languages takes place?

Seminary Greek profs will put out a fatwa against me, but I'll say it anyway: Interlinear bibles are excellent "bridge" tools. Yes, they are a crutch to those with language training, but for those without, or who are only partly trained, interlinears can be the most viable option.

I know folks with no formal Gk/Heb training who've gotten by with an interlinear and a Gk/Heb dictionary for an entire lifetime. Logos just speeds things up a bit.

As for studying Greek, I agree with Alabama on the resource he linked. Very good one.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 26506
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 6:34 PM

Doc B:
I know folks with no formal Gk/Heb training who've gotten by with an interlinear and a Gk/Heb dictionary for an entire lifetime.

I've known looks of folks with no formal Gk/Heb training who've gotten by without an interlinear or Gk/Heb dictionary for an entire lifetime. I don't understand the appeal of being a pretend scholar in an area where it is very easy to find and read real scholars.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS