SUGGESTION: Why Logos needs to support set prayers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 26102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 14 2016 1:26 PM

It is my observation that across much of Christianity the trajectory of growing in faith is:

• first, more frequent attendance of church-sponsored events
  • followed by a more disciplined prayer life
  • followed by serious Bible study and spiritual reading

This disciplined prayer life frequently includes set prayers which include Scripture - either traditional Liturgy of the Hours or contemporary innovations such as Taize, Lindisfarne, Northumbria ... The success of software / sites such as Universalis, Divine Office, eBreviary ... indicates that there is a market.

My thinking is that if one can get people using Logos/Verbum for their prayer, and that prayer contains Scripture, it will be a natural move to make Logos/Verbum their choice for Bible study and spiritual reading.  Note that the Mennonites, Methodists ... have set prayer books - it is not just a ACELO (Anglican, Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Lutheran, Oriental Orthodox) market. And it is a move towards supporting more than an intercessory/petitionary prayer life. See Richard Foster's Prayer for one of the clearest analysis of a full prayer life.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2016 1:35 PM

Yes

Posts 463
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2016 2:17 PM

Indubitably! Yes

Posts 588
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2016 3:13 PM

But of course!

Posts 161
David Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2016 1:53 AM

Liturgy is essential for grounding your identity, your spiritual outlook and worldview, learning what things truly matter in life and what is fleeting.

The hour of trial, the appearance of our Lord, the resurrection of the body and our being gathered to Him and the punishment of the ungodly and the reward of the righteous - all these are fundamental Christian doctrines which should inform our daily decisions, and do if one uses apostolic liturgy.

Posts 947
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2016 2:46 AM

I would love to have The Church of Englands - Common Worship in Logos. I'd love to have our lectionary in the app etc. I currently use other apps for these things. It would help my sermon prep too because I'd see the passage, click it and see the prayers we are praying together with the other resources! They could go the whole way and make an automagic proclaim presentation of today's service!

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 412
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2016 5:21 AM

Yes  I would love to have the Liturgy of the Hours in Logos.  Then go the next step to include midi files of Gregorian tones...MusicMusic

I can imagine publishing rights for traditional resources might be next to impossible to obtain.  As a step in the right direction, perhaps Phyllis Tickle's three volume series The Divine Hours: Prayers for Springtime; ...Summertime; ...Autumn and Wintertime, published by Doubleday.

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Trekstor Primebook/Celeron/4GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS