Challies Goes All "E" in

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 316
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2016 1:41 PM

Here is a link that Challies mentioned in his posting.  This is from Michael Hyatt who has a blog on leadership but was CEO of Thomas Nelson. He is moving off of ebooks this year and has a list of reasons why.  He has been a supporter of them in the past. 

http://michaelhyatt.com/ebooks-2016.html

I have to say that I try to get most of my books in ebook; Logos or Kindle or some other source.  I find that my weakening eyes prefer the ebook.  Also I like the indexing, searching and copying of text.  I do think there is a visual issue of not seeing a paper book on a shelf in order to remember that you have a copy of such and such book.  I still buy a number of paper books as there are a lot of older books that are not in digital format.

Posts 506
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2016 1:58 PM

Scott,

I don't think it is. To do it right would be a time commitment I'm not interested in. While there are ways to export the OCR text to Word documents, it would take a long time to clean up the text. Not impossible, just not anything I think worth doing. A searchable PDF serves my needs for the sort of books I'm scanning.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2016 2:01 PM

Scott S:

Mark Barnes:
Personally, I find a proper e-reader (e.g. Kindle Paperwhite) much more satisfying than a tablet. I would not have gone all out for eBooks were it not for the fact I owned a Kindle. In fact, we sold our iPad after buying the Kindle.

Mark, would it be fair to say that you rely on the Logo's "Send to Kindle" function?

Yes, but my reading is quite broad, and about half my reading will be Bible/Theology (mostly, but not exclusively "Send to Kindle" from Logos). The other half covers history, science and fiction, and will be bought for Kindle if possible.

I did a quick survey of my 2015 reading:

• Kindle: 34 books (inc. 9 'Christian' books)
  • Logos: 20 books
  • Print: 17 books (inc. 6 'Christian' books)
  • Audible: 3 books (inc. 1 'Christian' book)
  • Accordance: 1 book

If I exclude 'secular' books, the chart looks like this:

• Logos: 20 books
  • Kindle: 9 books
  • Print: 6 books
  • Audible: 1 book
  • Accordance: 1 book

So far in 2016, the data is much simpler (I tend to devote January to 'secular' reading):

• Kindle: 11 books (inc. two 'Christian')
  • Print: 1 book
Posts 29270
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2016 2:18 PM

Mark Barnes:
Audible: 3 books (inc. 1 'Christian' book)

Only 3? What keeps you from listening to more audio books? Does Amazon UK have discount deals on Audible books once you own the Kindle edition (like they do for many titles in the US)?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2016 2:24 PM

alabama24:

Mark Barnes:
Audible: 3 books (inc. 1 'Christian' book)

Only 3? What keeps you from listening to more audio books? Does Amazon UK have discount deals on Audible books once you own the Kindle edition (like they do for many titles in the US)?

Yes, they do.

I think the main reason I don't listen to audiobooks is that I don't commute. I pastor in a village church, and I live in the village. Even if I'm visiting people I'm likely only to spend 5 minutes or so travelling between each home.

Posts 29270
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2016 5:44 PM

Mark Barnes:
I think the main reason I don't listen to audiobooks is that I don't commute. I pastor in a village church, and I live in the village. Even if I'm visiting people I'm likely only to spend 5 minutes or so travelling between each home.

Interesting. Smile

I remember someone your way encouraging me to broaden my horizons to how far away I might be willing to relocate. He was giving an example and the range was under 350km. My willingness was already over 1200km! Smile

My boys go to school ~12km from our home and the travel time is between 15-25 minutes each way... which means that I have 30-50 minutes in the car just transporting my boys to school M-F. Having audio books allows me to "read" much more than I could otherwise. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 279
LogosEmployee
Daniel Di Bartolo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2016 10:48 AM

Hello, fellow ebook lovers! I'm Daniel, and work in the marketing department at Faithlife. Our team really enjoyed reading Tim's post, as we're passionate about seeing people utilize the tools that work best for them in their bible study. 

We wrote an "open letter" response to Tim on the LogosTalk blog. I think you've made some valuable points here in this thread, and I would encourage you to continue this discussion in the "comments" section below the blog. There are lots of people who are on the fence in this area, and hearing why others use their digital library would be helpful and interesting.

Find our blog post here.

Have a great weekend. 

Posts 9561
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2016 11:31 AM

Daniel Di Bartolo:
Hello, fellow ebook lovers! I'm Daniel, and work in the marketing department at Faithlife.

Great to have you participate in the forums Daniel. I hope you are able to join in more in the future.

Daniel Di Bartolo:

We wrote an "open letter" response to Tim on the LogosTalk blog. I think you've made some valuable points here in this thread, and I would encourage you to continue this discussion in the "comments" section below the blog. There are lots of people who are on the fence in this area, and hearing why others use their digital library would be helpful and interesting.

Find our blog post here.

Thanks for creating this blog and sharing it here as I think it makes a good contribution to this discussion. Well done!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3733
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2016 11:31 AM

Bruce Roth:

I discovered a new option that Amazon came out with last year called Family Library.  It allowed my wife to build her own Kindle library and each of our libraries are now shared across all the household Kindle devices and apps.  Check out the link - it was quite easy.  You still have keep her account active.  I trust that someday Amazon will work out a way to transfer books within a family or as part of an estate.  Probably tied up with publishers. 

THANK YOU! That's a good interim step... apparently not available when I called, circa end of 2014.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2016 12:50 AM

The Book That Isn't Really There Digital Texts and Declining Discipleship John J. Bombaro

"When we accommodate our Bible reading practices to the age of digital texts and the Internet, we may only be contributing to the biblical illiteracy, doctrinal ignorance, and sacramental neglect of the contemporary church."

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS