Anchor Yale Bible sale

Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 258
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2016 8:39 AM

Justin Gatlin:

Gary Osborne:
I'm not interested in adding more liberal commentaries to my collection.  No offense intended

If you are looking for commentaries which will just help you vocalize what you already believe,  skip AYBC. They are all more or less liberal and if you are the kind of pastor who will consult two commentaries in preparation of a sermon, these will essentially never be in the top two or three.  Themelios ran a review with similar thoughts in volume 34. Volume 39, issue 3, identifies the better ones in the new testament,  but they are still really for people with a scholarly bent. 

Looks like my post came off poorly, which I was trying to avoid.  It's not that I'm only looking to be reaffirmed in what I already believe, or that I don't want to be challenged, or that I don't have a scholarly bent.  Right now I've got very limited funds and I simply don't want to add commentaries to my collection that come from an extremely liberal point of view.

Once again let me make it clear that no offense was or is intended.  But I'm also not keen on getting insulted, however so subtly, myself. 

Peace. 

Posts 120
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2016 9:26 AM

Gary Osborne:
If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. 

Hi Gary,

One that does not get the attention it deserves because the book itself on which it comments is often overlooked is Joseph Fitzmyer's commentary on Philemon. Usually, commentaries on Philemon get bundled with Colossians. It is a rare day that an entire commentary is dedicated to this special little letter. The book of Philemon is in an interesting place in that across the spate of commentaries on the book the major liberal/conservative divides are negligible. So, even though Fitzmyer is a Jesuit, you would not find much of a theological difference between his Philemon commentary and say Richard Melick's (a Baptist). 

There are only a couple of single-volume commentaries like this on Philemon, and at 138 pages Fitzmyer is not overly ponderous like Nordling (300+ pages) and especially Barth and Blanke (500+ pages). The top commentaries on Philemon in my estimation are F. F. Bruce, Douglas Moo, Joseph Fitzmyer, and Daniel Migliore. All four of these are must-haves for preaching through Philemon in my estimation. Hope this helps.

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2016 9:45 AM

Gary Osborne:

Justin Gatlin:

Gary Osborne:
I'm not interested in adding more liberal commentaries to my collection.  No offense intended

If you are looking for commentaries which will just help you vocalize what you already believe,  skip AYBC. They are all more or less liberal and if you are the kind of pastor who will consult two commentaries in preparation of a sermon, these will essentially never be in the top two or three.  Themelios ran a review with similar thoughts in volume 34. Volume 39, issue 3, identifies the better ones in the new testament,  but they are still really for people with a scholarly bent. 

Looks like my post came off poorly, which I was trying to avoid.  It's not that I'm only looking to be reaffirmed in what I already believe, or that I don't want to be challenged, or that I don't have a scholarly bent.  Right now I've got very limited funds and I simply don't want to add commentaries to my collection that come from an extremely liberal point of view.

Once again let me make it clear that no offense was or is intended.  But I'm also not keen on getting insulted, however so subtly, myself. 

Peace. 

I meant no insult and apologize for coming off that way. I, though a cessationist, share your basic doctrinal perspective. I am a conservative Baptist pastor, who owns the complete AY set (it came with Collector's, which I bought because with my expiring Academic pricing, it was the best way to get ICC). I rarely consult Anchor for weekly preparation because I find that the presuppositions for most volumes (especially in the Old Testament) are so far from my own that I am unlikely to gather any "ready made" insights. The most I can expect is something which will spark a question or provide some material which will help me arrive at my own conclusions. When debating someone in a scholarly way or writing a scholarly paper (I apologize for the way that "scholarly bent" made a task sound like a character quality), this can benefit me. Usually, it is just a way to get lost in the weeds. 

I, like most pastors I know at small-medium churches, preach 3 times a week. For Sunday morning, I may consult NICNT, Word, NAC, Pillar or NIGTC - depeding on the book - and Boice's sermons. If I have time, then I will look at ICC or Anchor (but rarely, if ever, both). But that kind of extensive reading is not feasible for Sunday nights or Wednesday nights, if I am to do anything else. (I assume you are similarly busy and for most services do not have time to consult more than two or three commentaries - Anchor will very rarely be one of these)

So for those, I stick to what I trust is going to be reliably accurate (in my perspective). When I read the New American Commentary, for example, I can be pretty confident that I will already know and agree with the major points. I read them in preparation for services to help me phrase the basic doctrinal convictions that I share with the authors as clearly and precisely as I can. When I said "vocalize what you already believe," this is what I meant. I am looking for help in vocalizing the faith once delivered to the saints, not someone challenging me with elaborate hypotheses about Israelites borrowing from Baal epics.

So, with that, let me repeat my recommendation. For a scholar, Anchor is probably essential. For a seminary student, if you can afford it, you will use it. For a conservative pastor who is not regularly tied up in scholarly work, it is a waste of money because it will go unused. 

Posts 834
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2016 9:54 AM

Gary Osborne:

.... But I'm also not keen on getting insulted, however so subtly, myself. 

Peace. 

I completely understand.

From my experience, it seems that the scholars who contributed to these volumes are generally sensitive both to other perspectives and to pastoral concerns in spite of the technical focus of their work in the AYB. Scholars others have mentioned (Brown, Johnson, Fitzmyer) seem to be very good in this regard.

Posts 599
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2016 11:53 AM

Don't forget ... "Don’t wait—you have until Friday at 8:00 a.m. (PT) to take advantage of this offer!" - From Logos Blog.

Posts 446
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2016 12:11 PM

As I read the blog, we have until February 1, which is Monday!

Posts 834
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2016 12:31 PM

I think it's the 3-Day sale that is over on Friday.

Posts 446
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2016 1:11 PM

Lew Worthington:

I think it's the 3-Day sale that is over on Friday.

Yes, I misread that one!

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2016 1:39 PM

There are two different sales being conflated in several posts on this thread.  Tongue Tied

The subject (part of the Biblical Studies Sales) goes "until February 1".  No time is listed on the blog.

The 3-Day Sale (some posts not related to the subject) goes until Friday, January 29 at 8:00 AM (PT)

Hope that helps.

Posts 258
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2016 2:13 PM

Justin, thank you so much for the thoughtful reply.  I was reading you wrong.  And I'm grateful you clarified not only the personal point, but the larger point about the series in general.  Sounds like we are in the same boat and look to Logos software for the same daily and weekly preparation and study.

Thank you to Jonathan, Lew and others as well for recommendations!

Posts 834
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2016 5:39 AM

I can't seem to find Albright's volume on Matthew. I'm not really interested in getting it, but I'm just curious why it's not listed. (For example, the link announcing the sale does not yield it.) Does anyone know?

Posts 343
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2016 7:03 AM

I don't know the details, but I'm pretty sure it's a licensing issue that no longer allows any software company to offer Matthew as part of the Anchor commentary series.

Abram K-J: Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant
Blog: Words on the Word

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2016 6:31 PM

I decided to get Meyer's Haggai/Zechariah volume.  Zechariah is an interesting and often hard to interpret book--and I did not have a lot of well-rated commentaries for it.  Looking through other highly rated OT commentaries, I found that I owned several of the "top rated" ones by the fact that I have various series--Tyndale, WBC, NICOT, NIVAC, etc.  So, since I had about 38 cents to use toward purchasing, I focused on a highly rated set that filled a good hole.  I would love to get more Anchor Yale some day, but that day will have to wait.  

What did the rest of you do, if you have not weighed in?

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 834
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2016 9:41 PM

Friedrich:

I ended up getting a few, including the Haggia/Zechariah volume.

But what an exercise of self-discipline! Even after trimming the list down to the 22 or so volumes I absolutely MUST get, I pared it down further to a small handful of those. I decided that I would forego volumes I have in dead-tree versions at the current time (Fitzmyer's Luke, Brown's John, and a few others), some volumes that are regarded very highly but aren't central to my research interests (e.g., Leviticus), or volumes that are not greatly discounted even if written by scholars I really like (Johnson). Ultimately, my central concern was getting stuff either related to papers I have simmering on the back burner (II Samuel, 1 Corinthians, Acts), or by areas of Scripture that are underrepresented in my library and for which I have a real passion for (1 Peter, Hebrews).

Posts 1525
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2016 9:43 PM

I picked up Speiser's Genesis, the first two volumes on Leviticus, Deuteronomy 1-11, and John volume 1. 

Would have gotten more, but...

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2421
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2016 3:47 AM

I picked up a couple on Isaiah, but had to pass on a number of others that I wanted.  It's a good sale, but something I just cannot get right now.

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2016 5:42 AM

Feedback on this sale: Encore! Encore!

Posts 834
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2016 6:31 AM

Francis:

Feedback on this sale: Encore! Encore!

Indeed! If this sale popped up occasionally, I would probably get a few volumes every time.

Posts 2421
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2016 7:24 AM

I agree.  I would be more likely to pick up a couple volumes at a time than purchase the entire set at once.

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2016 7:39 AM

Lew Worthington:

Friedrich:

I ended up getting a few, including the Haggia/Zechariah volume.

But what an exercise of self-discipline! Even after trimming the list down to the 22 or so volumes I absolutely MUST get, I pared it down further to a small handful of those. I decided that I would forego volumes I have in dead-tree versions at the current time (Fitzmyer's Luke, Brown's John, and a few others), some volumes that are regarded very highly but aren't central to my research interests (e.g., Leviticus), or volumes that are not greatly discounted even if written by scholars I really like (Johnson). Ultimately, my central concern was getting stuff either related to papers I have simmering on the back burner (II Samuel, 1 Corinthians, Acts), or by areas of Scripture that are underrepresented in my library and for which I have a real passion for (1 Peter, Hebrews).

lol, I went through a very similar process.  paring down further and further.  I own some dead-trees as well, notably Browns. . . I resisted.  it was tough.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS