Community Pricing and Gathering Interest

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6
Nathan Lentfer | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 22 2010 11:52 AM

Why are some items offered in community pricing while others are offered in the pre-pub section under "gathering interest"? I thought, at first, that it might have to do with copyright restrictions, but there are a lot of sets under pre-pub that are in the public domain. I am not complaining. Just curious. Thanks for any insights.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 11:55 AM

I think the difference is that Logos knows there's a market for some PD works (perhaps based on paper book sales) so they go on pre-pub, but other works they can't gauge the demand, so they go on CP. Logos likes to have their costs covered before development, thus the "gathering interest" in pre-pub.

But I speculate. I think they should all be on CP.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 12:04 PM

Aren't community pricing books all ones that are in the public domain, so the process gauges the interest in putting a book in Logos that people can already read on their own for free.  Pre Pubs are commercial books.

I may be wrong, that's what I thought...

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 12:14 PM

Dominick Sela:
Pre Pubs are commercial books.

No, there's plenty of public domain books that go directly to pre-pub.  Consider all of the Puritan collections that have been recently added: http://wiki.logos.com/Puritans

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 6
Nathan Lentfer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 5:33 AM

Thanks. That makes sense. I noticed that some of the public domain pre-pubs have been "gathering interest" for quite some time. I wonder if some of them would already be under development if they were in community pricing. I know that I would pick up a few more of the puritan sets if they were in community pricing. But all in all, I am happy with the offerings that have been on community pricing lately. I just wish that there were more of them. Big Smile Thanks again.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 6:28 AM

Once PD works go off of community pricing, they go into Pre-pub status at a higher cost.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 11:07 AM

I wish all Public Domain works were listed initally under both Community Pricing and PrePub. For whatever reason, so people are unwilling to participate in Community Pricing. During this initial period, PrePub orders are counted as Community Pricing Bids as well. The PrePub price would be the maxumim bid possible. Once enough bids were placed to put the work into production, all those who had placed PrePub orders would get an email informing them of the price that crossed the 100% mark and that they had saved X amount of dollars. This would not only produce more high level bids, but it would also allow people are interested in a PD work, but not at the price of the PrePub to at list place a bid under Community Pricing in hopes that it would cross the line at this lower level.

I see this as a Win-Win for everyone.

Posts 222
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 12:06 PM

Up til now I think Community Pricing has been a bit of a disappointment for Logos. I recall a recent post (from Bob?) mentioning how they're always kind of mystified when something moves from CP into pre-pub and then all of a sudden they get a surge of orders at the higher price. I'm sure they don't mind taking the extra money (because theoretically that's pretty much straight profit because the CP bids have already covered production) but it does seem a little silly that someone will pay significantly more for a title that they could have ordered only days before at a much lower cost. From my perspective it boils down to two things - lack of promotion and lack of understanding regarding the CP process. Here's hoping that we can turn that around on the boards and in doing so encourage Logos to put more energy and extra titles onto the Community Pricing page.

A song I wrote and recorded : He Who Sits Upon The Throne

Posts 222
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 12:12 PM

I should mention too that there is no reason why CP couldn't be used to gauge interest in titles that are not public domain - all Logos needs to do is make sure that the lowest price available to click on equals the royalty negotiated with the publisher plus some margin to go towards production. For example, let's say they have to pay a fixed royalty per sale of $5 for a particular book. Well just put the minimum possible bid at $7 - so that the last $2 can go towards the production / support costs.

Could you imagine the interest generated by including more recent titles?

A song I wrote and recorded : He Who Sits Upon The Throne

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 2:34 PM

Todd Phillips:

I think the difference is that Logos knows there's a market for some PD works (perhaps based on paper book sales) so they go on pre-pub, but other works they can't gauge the demand, so they go on CP. Logos likes to have their costs covered before development, thus the "gathering interest" in pre-pub.

But I speculate. I think they should all be on CP.

And then Logos goes and blows my theory out of the water by putting this on prepub: http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/6093

Based on my own lack of familiarity with it, it seems like it would be less popular than Barnes Notes (which languishes in CP), and yet it goes straight to prepub.  Hmm

Posts 1422
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 4:20 PM

I agree with Mr. Larson. I think all the Public Domain books should start out in Community Pricing. I dont think they put a lot of good titles in Community pricing, and that is why the community pricing does not flourish. For example had they put the Catholic encyclopedia in community pricing I bet it would already have gained so much support that it would already be in published. Most people dont use Cp because the lack of excellent titles. Not to say that we dont get good ones, but I see a lot of really good one skip Community pricing, and go straight to pre -pub.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS